Metropolix and Gx

Will add these all to the wishlist. Thanks

We could possibly have a Chain Enabled flag, I will add to the wishlist, but we do not have any updates planned at the moment.

Thanks for all your contributions!

That’s what I thought should happen, but it’s not the behavior I am experiencing with mutes. Here’s what I am doing. This is with firmware version 1.4.2.0

1. Initialize the preset and unassign control knobs (i.e. disable all modulation)
  2. Send track one pitch/gate to a VCO/etc so I can hear it
  3. Set all gates to one pulse, and all pulse counts to one
  4. Set mod lane 1 to modulate track 1 mute
  5. Set some muted steps in mod lane 1. It works as expected.
  6. Switch to mod lane 2 and set it to modulate track 1 mute.

As soon as I’ve setup mod lane 2, the mutes from mod lane 1 are ignored and it plays on every pulse. If I set some muted steps on mod lane 2, those work, but mod lane 1 doesn’t do anything. If I assign mod lane 2 to another target, then mod lane 1 starts working again.

Similarly, if I have mutes on mod lane 1 or 2, and I set mod lane 3 to modulate track 1 mute, then any mutes on mod lanes 1 or 2 are ignored. That’s what I meant by higher numbered mod lanes take precedence.

Can anyone reproduce? Is it a bug?

UPDATE: I was experimenting with the aux inputs and found it has the same behavior: if I set aux x to modulate mute on a track and then set aux y or z to mute the same track, aux x does not work anymore. However, I can use one aux input and one mod lane to both modulate mute and this works (it ORs them together). I would like to use any number of aux inputs and mod lanes to modulate mute.

Thanks fo the detailed description, I can confirm this is a bug, we’ll release a fix soon. It would happen on both Aux Inputs and Mod lanes.

1 Like

I’ll take this opportunity to point out what appears to be a small bug with mutes as well. It concerns only the midi part : when I press loop + track buttons to mute one track or the other, if there’s a note playing, the note is hanging. If the track is playing but I mute during a silence, there are no hanging notes. Everything works as expected when the sequencer is stopped, so my guess is that a midi note off message might be missing when muting tracks from the interface.

Noted! Thanks for the heads up, I will look into that one as well.

1 Like

Fixed

Fixed!

Thanks for the descriptive bug reports.

4 Likes

Thanks Wes! The muting behavior is working great now.

2 Likes

Awesome !!! Thousand thanks !!!

2 Likes

I’m trying to use the GX for velocity/accent trigger to WMD javelin accent input.
Would love to have a single gate output when any velocity level is reached (OR all the stages)
A dedicated velocity mode on the GX would be amazing.

GX 1 - Trigger anytime “any” velocity mod lane hits 100%
GX 2 - Trigger anytime “any” velocity mod lane hits 75%

GX 4 Maybe other gate logic. Inverse etc…

A super-minimal microtuning possibility would just be to add a configurable “notes-per-octave” setting — code-wise this is just changing the note-to-freq routine from something like 440*pow(2, semitones/12) (i.e. 12 semitones per octave) to 440*pow(2, semitones/semitones_per_octave_setting). This would cover all Equal Temperaments (I’ve been all about the 19-TET lately!), so while it might not cover the full universe of microtuning I’d still have a great time with it : ) (oh, just seeing @jefferymac already suggested this, so seconding that with a bit more detail!)

Feature Request!

Ability to randomize a given page or mod-lane (ALT + X) via gate/ CV input.
the gate could act as a one-shot randomizer, the trimmer pot could attenuate the amount of randomization.

Alternatively, allow a mod lane to actively re-randomize a separate mod lane/CV lane with the on/offs.

A step further could be using yet another mod lane to activate the slight random variation.
I often find myself reaching for the ALT+X buttons when I’m using the CV lane to control filter cutoff or sending mod lane CC to midi effects. The ability to modulate this great random features would be super SUPER!

How is the latency when sequencing midi this way? I found it always a little out of time when going into ableton and then back out to a hardware synth. Is it faster using the tubbutec bridge and going straight from there to the synth?

cant really provide much detail here as I’m using it without a computer on very loose ambient sounds with slow attacks.

Yes. The idea would be to use it without a computer.

Hello to all of you!

i have a request / question:

OFFSET now works like this (example pattern of stages 1-2-3-4 ):

stages 1-2-3-4 offset + 2 → stages 3-4-5-6
the pattern starts after offset at stage 3 but is shifted to the following stages. (also cool btw)

wouldn’t it be very useful if OFFSET could rotate your stages, to fit them to other drums etc, like:

stages 1-2-3-4 offset + 2 → stages 3-4-1-2
the pattern starts after offset at stage 3, but the pattern is only rotated within itself

the idea taken further (similar can be done on the HYPERSYNTH and is very cool) would be,
if the individual MOD LANES (ACCUMULATOR; RATCHET, etc ) could be rotated.

and last: it would be great, if there was a probability for more parameters, like the trigger count of ratchets, so it would not take external input for simple randomness like this

1 Like

Talking about offsets, I’d like to pitch in a request for phasing the individual clocks when on MX-Expander > Mod Clocks. Is that even possible?

This isn’t exactly what you are asking for, but you can knock a Mod Clock (with a div greater than 1) out of phase by changing a Mod Lanes’ Clock Div parameter while Metropolix is running. You just toggle the value by turning the encoder to a different value then back to the divisor you want. Reset will lock them back in phase.

Thanks @reacpitch, yeah I was aware of this and it’s how I’ve been triggering single drums up to now. I meant It would be nice to be able to phase or shift those forward or backward depending on what you are building.

Yeah, that would be nice to have. :slight_smile:

It’s neat that you were already using that technique. I only had a vague awareness of it and had to try it out/test it before posting my response above. I should try and incorporate it into some patches. So, thanks. :pray:

1 Like

Shouldn’t it be possible to connect a Metropolix to a MIDI 1U with such a cable, so that I get more CV outputs from the Metropolix? And maybe even expand it with a CVx?
I tried using the linked pin diagram, but with no success. Am I thinking this wrong?