Want to beta test the latest Rainmaker firmware?

Same feedback here, i didn’t have anything wrong and “autogain” is just perfect !
i miss global dry/wet sometime, is it possible to add it to the mod in a futur update please ?

Global dry/wet is there - its the knob called “MIX”.

If you mean cv control over global dry/wet, that would require a hardware change (adding a VCA).

yes, sorry, that’s what i mean, control global dry/wet via mod A or B.
ok thanks for the info :wink:

I’ve had a few more sessions with the new RM firmware after my last post. I’ve narrowed down most instances of my hearing clicks clicks to changing grain size on the fly, which I guess should be unsurprising. Overall it’s operating fantastically and smoothly!

Im currently experiencing an odd issue in the beta firmware. My presets are not loading any of my comb filter saved settings except FX On. If i change around settings and go load a different preset, my comb settings are all the same that i just changed around.

–to add
Ive power cycled now, and some of the presets i just adjusted didnt save any of their comb settings. After a power cycle it will not carry over comb settings from different presets initially, but it starts to do it after a bit.

I cant find a reliable relationship between which presets are loading properly and what triggers it to begin carrying over the settings from other presets. But it is happening consistently when i power on/off and try again.

Remember that if the Comb is turned off then by design the preset will not save the comb parameters (and same with the Delay).
But I will check to see if there is something else going on.

That could be half of the issue i was experiencing definitely about the power cycling as I did not ever realize that this was the default behavior. That helps explain some

So to clarify procedure of saving comb (but leaving disabled upon preset load)… turn comb on>adjust parameters> save preset> turn comb off > save again ?

I dont see how this covers the other part of the issue though where I… adjust settings of the comb> Load a different preset and the comb settings are not the saved values but instead the values that i just adjusted on the previous preset. At that point i can flip through to any preset and they all apparently have the same comb settings almost as if the comb settings are acting as “global settings” for the comb.

Thank you!

this is awesome!

i was playing around, it looks like you can load a delay only preset (try 1-tap), then load a comb only preset (try resonator) and then toggle them on and off from that point.

would be nice to see when on the load screen if you are loading a delay or a comb (or both)

I dont think that is how its supposed to work… correct me if i am wrong but as far as ive known a preset encompasses all settings saved into one slot

When you save a preset with the comb turned off, the current comb settings for that preset are not overwritten. So they will keep whatever comb settings were in the old preset. If you want to save new comb settings in a preset you have to have the comb turned on when you save the preset!

Alright, got it and tried it. I understand now that to save values in a preset the FX On must be enabled. All this information is true for how it is saved except that currently if the comb is OFF when preset is saved it is not retaining its settings from whatever was saved in that preset previously and instead using the last opened comb preset values. Just to clarify so that nothing is lost in translation here…

I open Preset 1, adjust comb settings, turn comb ON, save. It loads up properly. But when I load that preset i dont want comb to be ON by default so I save it again after turning comb OFF. As i understand now should at this point still have the values from when i saved it the first time. So I change to Preset 34 - Resonator. Now when i flip back to Preset 1(or any preset with the comb saved OFF) upon loading it has all of the comb values from Preset 34 instead of what I saved there earlier.

So is this intentional behavior? I feel like it wasnt like this before as i would program comb settings to turn on and give variation to a preset only if needed. If this is intentional, i am highly against it and very much prefer it to maintain the comb settings in that particular preset regardless of what you do on other presets. Its not an option to save with the Mute on because of the various routing options.

It’s the same on the old firmware, mine has 1.02 and I’ve experienced the same situation, this confused me a bit too.

Ah. alright thank you. I guess i didnt notice because the comb was less useful in the live setting previously. Its definitely a confusing implementation of ‘Preset’

To add: my work around currently will be to save all comb settings of my live presets with the comb On and Muted and routing DLY + CMB. Then all i have to do is adjust the routing setting in the moment if thats what I want

Hi, yes this was the same behaviour as before. This is Danjel’s idea so he is the one you will have to convince. The reasoning is that you may want to load/edit a preset using just the delay, and get something you really like and save it as a preset. Since it is a delay only preset you don’t (at that time) care what the comb is doing, since it is turned off. But then you may want to turn on the comb section to your awesome delay and make a preset that has both the comb and delay turned on. So you save that as your amazing delay+comb preset. If you want to have a comb mute preset version of this, well you already have it (with the delay only preset that you made).

With the delay+comb preset you can always mute the comb on the fly (no need to load a preset for this). But there is no need to mute the comb and save it as a preset since you already have this preset!

1 Like

Screen gone to “sleep” again this afternoon. Is this normal behaviour? ( I used it for about an hour) . Needed to reboot to put it back on.

There is a screensaver, but it should wake up as soon as you push any button or change a selection with the encoder. Turning knobs will not wake the screen though.

1 Like

Will pay attention next time it happen. Thanks for the reply

Another example of why the current preset saving approach is useful:

Suppose you have 2 killer presets, AWESOME_DELAY and SUPER_COMB, each of which just have one of the effects active.

Now, suppose you decide you want to combine these two presets to have both the AWESOME_DELAY and SUPER_COMB active. How can you do this?

If the Rainmaker designer (that’s me) made it so that all of the module’s parameters (delay and comb) were loaded when a preset is loaded, then combining two presets would be very tedious. You would have to load one preset (say the AWESOME_DELAY preset) and then manually adjust the parameters of the comb (in this example) to match the settings for the SUPER_COMB preset.

But! Danjel’s brilliant idea was to just load the active effects’ parameters when loading a preset. That means, for example, that when we load the AWESOME_DELAY preset, the comb parameter settings are not modified at all. They stay where they were. And if we then load the SUPER_COMB preset, the delay settings are not touched, so they stay set to the values of the AWESOME_DELAY preset. Et voila - we have easily combined our two killer presets!

Hope this makes clear the reason behind our preset loading scheme.
[I should add this to the manual…]

1 Like

Alternative idea:

When hitting Load, the preset loader comes up as usual. However, below PUSH ENC TO LOAD would be:
DELAY COMB ALL

If a preset only has Delay settings, then only DELAY would be visible. Same for COMB.

When this is visible, you can hit the LOAD button to choose which components are loaded. ALL would be selected by default for presets with saved data in both sections.

This also helps inform the user what type of preset they’re about to load.