Want to beta test the latest Rainmaker firmware?

The problem with that idea is that we don’t know whether a given preset has the delay or comb section inactive until we actually load the preset.

I do see some usefulness if you understand whats going on. I think the following users’ comment about a choice would be very ideal though… except maybe to choose the settings you want to SAVE rather than load. So you hit the save button to cycle through the options DELAY, COMB, ALL.

as for me, with the rainmaker, i tend to not think of presets as a “comb” preset or “delay” preset because the sound design capabilities of either side of the module are so broud, and the routing options increase these possibilities so much. Since the options I desire are for performance sound design, its not a huge deal to save with either side Muted (and routing = DLY+COMB). But it is definitely a work-around

I like this idea very much!

Away from the preset topic… id like to put my vote in on the feedback knob range change.

The new firmware has it in a great range, but sometimes i do miss the ability to have a very fast volume swell.

If it was previously % 0-200, and now %0-110… i would maybe prefer it being %0-130.

However, the quality of the newly implemented limiter/auto gain is priority to me. So if this change negatively affects that, making the module again prone to loud distortions… then i would prefer to keep it where it is now.

1 Like

You can already do this. If you want to SAVE just the delay parameters, turn the delay on and the comb off. If you want to save just the comb parameters, turn the delay off and the comb on. If you want to save all the parameters, turn on both the delay and the comb.

Yes, except the limitation if i wanted to say…
Have a performance preset, with delay routed to comb, but the comb off by default.

So that i could maybe play with the delay preset, then turn on the comb preset in mid performance to give a new preset effect/change of space.

Yes i could save two different presets, but then thats two slots used for something thats merely an option to me and it doesnt account for any in-the-moment parameter changes i made

Just save it with both delay and comb turned on, then save it again with the comb turned off.

But, as weve determined, then the comb will maintain the last used settings instead of what was saved (because its off when loading the preset).

Im sitting here working on my presets as we speak so unless im somehow missing something, this is the way it seems to work based on whats in front of me and also the information ive gathered from this exchange.

Im not trying to troll you with this conversation, only pointing out that the ‘saving options’ method would not only be more clearly understandable, but also get past those small limitations. But… currently my workaround is a reasonably painless process.

yeah i’m with you here, but think that it could go back even closer to 200, cv’d it can be attenuated, and physical well, we all need to practice some self control :slight_smile:

Hello,

I don’t know how to send you pm to get the beta firmware.
I would like to try it. Really appreciate your work.
If someone can help me, welcome.

Thanks

I notice some clicks & pops when CVing the comb pattern via mod a or b. Don’t recall if it was that way in the previous firmware, but it’d be great if those could somehow be removed.

not sure if it s supposed to be like this:

No signal going through:

When cycling through the filter: Guitar (silent output);Sitar (silent output); Clarinet (VERY noisy); Raw (silent output). Normal behavior due to the non-linearity in the feedback path or bug?

Apologies if this isn’t quite the right place for this, but if it’s not too late I have some feature requests for this (or the next) firmware.

• A single quick save slot, accessible with a long press of save or load. Ideally that would be the preset that loads at power on. Proper presets are nice, but usually I’m just playing about with a single patch idea over a few days. If I could long press the save button to save it to the quick save slot before I power down my modular for the night ready for the next day, that would be really helpful.

• Notch filters? I haven’t entirely thought this through… but I think:

notch filters + stacks + "tap filter cut" mod = phaser style fun

• Have there been any updates to the mod destinations? “Odd / even tap filter cut” would be a nice addition.

Finally just to say, these are just suggestions, I’m more than happy with the module as is. And if the feedback has been tweaked as has been mentioned then that will solve my biggest issue, namely my 5 year old daughter rolling her eyes at me (whilst she’s play with her Lego) every time the feedback get’s cranked too high.

Hi Guys,

can you tell me how long the beta test will last from now on?
I would really like to try the new firmware, but if the final version is only days away I would wait…

Thanks in advance!

Finally had a good studio session with the newest beta firmware version. Thank you for implementing a way to save the entire device… i like this very much.

After using a bit, i did get some very loud clicks and pops when changing the Grain Size. I know there has always been clicks when adjusting this, but this time it was much louder than ive ever heard it, to the point a de-click plugin wont help. I had a lot of extreme pitch shifting going on at that moment… Mod B assigned to Tap Pitch(i love this new feature) and also the global shift. Not sure what the reasoning was, but if we are fixing clicks and pops this would be a good place to investigate.

Sorry to be going all noob on ya but has this firmware been released yet?

1 Like

Bump, how far is the release date guys?

Would also love to know if there is a release date for this, sent a couple of messages to intellijel support but I’ve had nothing back in the last week.

Just waiting to hear back from Jim Clark about presets and waiting for Kamil to get back so we can update the firmware updater app and then we should be able to roll this out.

3 Likes

After a few days of experimenting I must say I really appreciate the new firmware. The Rainmaker is almost a complete new machine. The textures are so much more nuanced. I’ve been using it very often as sort of sample-looper, where I insert a burst and turn the feedback way up to make it drone endlessly. I like it.

Besides some getting used to the new sounds I’ve found no bugs thus far. The only thing that keeps on bugging me is the default screen after power-up. It used to default to the load screen, it is now the routing.

Oh, and if people try to get the beta running on Windows, you can get a virtual machine running in VirtualBox with osx. (plenty of tutorials about that) and use the virtual machine to run the Intellijel updater since there’s only an Mac version right now.