Steppy 1U/3U v1.2.1

Can I just go ahead and run the Zadig.exe anyway or should I do something else first?

Actually, it says STM32 Bootloader on my USB list. Does this mean I don’t have to run the Zadig.exe? Sorry for my confusion.

Tried to run the updater but it didn’t update. So I figure I have to run Zadig. When I run it I get STTub30 (v3.0.4.0) listed as the current driver for STM32 Bootloader and instead of Install Driver it says Replace Driver. So I will wait before I do that because I don’t want to screw it up since nothing is happening as detailed in the manual.

Extended Windows Instructions here: https://intellijel.com/support/firmware-windows/. If there is still issues, contact support@intellijel.com and they can get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks, and sorry for all the bother. I just wanted to follow up. I ended up trying my friend’s Mac and it seems to have worked like a charm. When I fired it up the lights seem to indicate it is indeed on version 1.2 now. I jammed with this bad boy all yesterday designing evolving odd meter grooves to improvise over with my electric bass getting ready for an upcoming gig with Antibalas and Method Man and WOW. I wrote so many grooves yesterday because of this module. SO happy about it. Thanks again for all the help.

3 Likes

:two_hearts:

1 Like

Whoa… Antibalas and Method Man? Sounds like an amazing gig! Do you have any recordings of this?

Yea man, it should be one hell of a day. Hopefully, it doesn’t rain! It’s an outdoor festival in April… I’m playing with a funky space rock trio but we’ll probably also have a sax player on bari or tenor. I’ve opened for Antibalas a few times and know some of them. A few of the guys I’ve played with over the years either in bands or as a sideman are in Antibalas or were. It’s a very large band lol. However, I’ve never played on a bill with Method Man! I’m very much looking forward to the hang.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but I don’t have any recordings of any of the stuff I worked on this weekend other than crappy phone recordings so I can remember the grooves when I bring them in for rehearsal. However I would like to get serious about recording some of these modular explorations because I’ve never gotten such organic vibes out of synthesizers before in my life. I plan on putting together a live project featuring jazz musicians with modular synthesis. I’d like to also to start incorporating some of these modular sounds into my jungle/dnb productions. Particularly wave folded and FM’d sounds. I produce under the name Ornette Hawkins.

I just got a Pachinko in the mail and am about to hook that up to the Steppy and go nuts. Have a great day and thanks to everybody for helping old me get it upgraded!

4 Likes

That sounds amazing :slight_smile: I’m also pretty into jazz, and am a guitar player. I’ve done a few guitar + modular jams with my guitar teacher on modular and me playing guitar. It’s a lot of fun and can lead to a lot of really unique sounds.

1 Like

Love that!!
I’m a bit late to this update, but now this module is really a lil-big beast!
Love you guys, thanks fo that update!
Now is time to glitch something out!

LL

2 Likes

Is there currently a way to get a gate to sustain over multiple steps? Gate length seems to be restricted to one step if I’m not mistaken.

Yep! Setting the Gate length to 100% (either on the track or the step) will tie to the next step.

2 Likes

I just upgraded my 1U steppy firmware to 1.2.1 an seeing some REALLY weird behavior. It almost seems as if the steppy thinks it is a 3U. The progress goes backwards… sort of, and the Edit mode buttons have some behavior that I cannot figure out…it isn’t backwards, but it is definitely wrong. How can I get this thing back working again? (I upgraded the firmware, which I think was running 1.0 because the save buttons would not work anymore).

I also just downloaded the 1.11 version firmware, and seeing the same behavior. (each time I am using the mass erase before programming option)

Then I downloaded the most recent version and ran that again (again with mass erase option). Now I think it is working correctly?.. I had to do some additional reading due to the ratcheting and a few other things being different than version 1, but now my loading and saving is working, I can edit ratchets properly, clock divider, all functions seem to work now.

Let me know if there are any logs I can send your way. I’ll repost if it starts to misbehave again…

The firmware for both is the same, but the button layout is reversed so there is a switch to toggle between 1U and 3U at startup. It’s possible it may have got flipped at some point. You can hold SELECT at startup to toggle between 1U / 3U firmware.

1 Like

Ah good to know. I may have actually done that with all my permutations of trying things (and accidentally gotten it back in the right mode ;-). Would be good to note in the docs though.

I also had issues getting the firmware to install from a usb hub on mac, so I ended up having to plug it into the machine directly.

Looking forward to trying out the new firmware now though!

So… I have always had issues saving patterns on my Steppy, and I thought that I was having new luck with the 1.2.1 firmware, but as it turns out I am not.

In order to save a pattern to an empty slot, I have to hold down the save button and the slot into which I want it to save (simply selecting save and pressing the slot button does not work). In addition, after I save to a slot, I can no longer save additional data to it.

Has anyone else had this issue? I am going to maybe try reflashing the firmware again, but I’ve already done this several times, and the fact that saving patterns never worked properly on my module makes me wonder if it isn’t something with the hardware…

Looks like performing a system reset (holding the CLR/LOAD button at startup) seems to have resolved the issues with the saving. Thanks to Intellijel support for speedy response. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hmm, just under a month in to having a working steppy, the unit stopped allowing me to save again, and the load/clr reset on start cleared everything but did not reset my ability to save patterns. Really bummed — is there anything else I should try before contacting support?

This seems like a hardware issue, best to contact support@intellijel.com, to my knowledge we haven’t had any save/load issues with any of the firmware releases.

Thanks! Will do.