Shifty 1.11 — Continuous Track and Switch Mode

Testing a couple new options on Shifty as suggested by Forum users :slight_smile:

First up, Manual / Sequential Switch Mode

• Toggle Switch Mode: Hold RESET for 1 second
  • The LED for the selected output channel will stay lit
  • Press the RESET button or input a trig/gate into RESET to select the output
  • Respects your Voice and Order Settings
  • When Voices: SR is selected, your inputs are passed to all 4 outputs
  • Setting to TRK is Continuous Track in this mode (not Track & Hold)

Second, Continuous Tracking vs Track & Hold

• Toggle Continuous Tracking: Set switch to TRK, hold GATE and RESET for 1 second
  • When Continuous Tracking is enabled, the Gate LED will stay lit when switch is set to TRK
  • Setting saves to flash across reboots
  • No effect on Sample & Hold mode

Let us know what you think!

Firmware Updater at the bottom of the Shifty page

8 Likes

<puts on jacket, gets in car to drive to Patchwerks and buy a Shifty…>

Thanks! You guys are great.

6 Likes

:ok_hand: This switching mode is so much fun. Well done!

2 Likes

Is there a link for a Windows updater?

Just mac for now, will get it into the windows updater when we finalize the code/manual. Shouldn’t be long.

1 Like

Got my Shifty, installed the new firmware, hooked up the Keystep, and life is good controlling multiple voices on demand. One keyboard to rule them all (well, 4 of them anyway). Works great! Thanks! The unison mode is also turning out to be quite fun…

3 Likes

No issues here, so we’ll just take the beta tag off of this one, manual updated as well. Will be posted on the site later today :slight_smile:

Here’s a demo of the new firmware features: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_oKhEESwwQ

any update on the Windows updater?

Don’t have a PC in front of me, but I’m pretty sure it’s in there

On this page, I only see a link called “Beta Firmware Updater for macOS”

In the zip file, I see a MacOS folder (file path: Intellijel Firmware Updater.app Shifty 1.11\Intellijel Firmware Updater.app\Contents) but not a Windows folder.

This will be my first firmware update so it’s entirely possible that I’m just missing something obvious.

Sorry! should have included the link!

https://intellijel.com/shop/eurorack/shifty/

scroll to the bottom, and you can grab the windows downloader

I’m probably an idiot but I cannot get Shifty updated. (On Windows) After I install the STM32 BOOTLOADER driver, in Device Manager it has an exclamation symbol and device status says

"This device cannot start. (Code 10)
{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful.
"

And when I try to click on Update in the firmware updater application I get
"==> Error occurred during update.

Invalid DFU suffix signature
A valid DFU suffix will be required in a future dfu-util release!!!
No DFU capable USB device available
"

I’m assuming this relates to the first issue I posted. Any help would be greatly appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:

Did you press the button on the back of the module and have the USB cable connected before powering it on?

Update: got it working! in case this helps somebody:

Issue 1: I had Shifty connected via a USB hub, which is why it wasn’t showing correctly in Device Manager.
connected directly to computer and it shows up fine now.

Issue 2: I still get the DFU errors when trying to update however. However, it seems Shifty did update all along! 1. Notice the update completed successfully right before the DFU errors

fuSe interface name: "Internal Flash "
Downloading to address = 0x08000000, size = 14704

Download [ ] 0% 0 bytes
Download [=== ] 13% 2048 bytes
Download [====== ] 27% 4096 bytes
Download [========== ] 41% 6144 bytes
Download [============= ] 55% 8192 bytes
Download [================= ] 69% 10240 bytes
Download [==================== ] 83% 12288 bytes
Download [======================== ] 97% 14336 bytes
Download [=========================] 100% 14704 bytes
Download done.
File downloaded successfully
Transitioning to dfuMANIFEST state
==> Update completed successfully.

Invalid DFU suffix signature
A valid DFU suffix will be required in a future dfu-util release!!!

OK just tested switch mode and this is exactly how I wanted Shifty to operate. It allows me to decide when to switch oscillators independent from the rate of the clock used to generate the melodic content. Thank you so much Intellijel!

1 Like

This message is totally benign and always shows up. We should probably do a FAQ entry on this :slight_smile:

The USB bootloader can be finicky especially on Windows machines, so the usually advice is to just try different combinations of USB cables, ports and hubs. Glad you got it working!

1 Like

readme.pdf :
1.Connect a USB cable to your module and start it in bootloader mode. Check the manual for the specific module for instructions on how to activate this.

Shifty_manual 1.11*.pdf :
CTRL+F “bootloader” no results found

Also do you just need to connect it with USB or do you also need it connected to the eurorack power bus?

1 Like

You need both the USB cable and eurorack power. Bootloader mode is activated by holding the button on the back of the module while powering it on.

The Update Instructions in the Firmware Updater Application walk you through the process:

1. Turn off power to your modular system.
  2. Connect a USB cable from the rear Shifty module to your computer.
  3. From the version menu above, select the firmware version you will be updating to.
  4. Hold down the button on the rear of the module and turn on power to your modular system.
  5. Click the Update button in the bottom of this window. You will see the progress of the update in the log window and your module may begin to flash. You will see an “Update completed successfully” message at the end of the update.
  6. Turn your modular off and back on again, you’re now ready to use your updated module.
  7. If there are any problems please contact us via the Help button on our website. Be sure to include the full log window output, the firmware updater version downloaded, and the OS you are using.
2 Likes