Quadrax

Is it otherwise behaving as expected? If the issue persists you should probably contact support@intellijel.com.

yeah otherwise everything is working as it should. channel 4 is miraculously dead for some reason:/

hmmm also the cv assignments now don’t seem to work…seems like a software issue

ok so reloading the newest update on the firmware seems to have solved the cv assignment issue but unfortunately channel 4 is still unresponsive…i’ll open up a ticket with support

just wondering if this is still being considered. I would love to get a second quadrax to cover my long envelope generation bases - for now, I’m using Zadar for this but Xaoc really shot themselves in the foot with the crappy encoders they used for that module, and I trust much more Intellijel’s long term build quality…

We tweaked the curves in the 1.1 firmware, are you just looking for longer time periods? how long?

Yeah, the new curve options are great. Extremely grateful for that.

Re: ‘how long’ – I’d personally be happy if the maximum duration (sum of all stages) were at least 10 minutes. A few points of comparison that I know of:

• Make Noise Maths & Function have a maximum cycle duration of 25 minutes
  • WMD/SSF Mini Slew’s max is ~30 minutes
  • Xaoc Zadar’s max is 30 minutes

While I’m dreaming, I would also love to see a toggleable option for Quadrax envelopes to reset when it receives mid-attack triggers. But I realize there’s only so many mode switches possible with its interface :slight_smile:

Thanks for always listening to our feedback.

Afaik Maths and Function achieve long cycle times when CV is applied. For now you can also do that on the Quadrax to get really long times.

I’ll look into possibly adding some more options for future firmware

1 Like

oh, I wasn’t aware of that. the manual does state a few times that “using CV extends the range even further” in regards to Burst and LFO modes, but I never thought to test that out.

good news!

Hi Kamil, just wondering if this is still on the table. It’s good to know that we can slow down the cycle times further with external CV, but that ties up a CV input and an external DC offset source. A “range” toggle (if there’s any room in the UI for that) could allow the fine resolution of the knob to be retained for the current range setting.

Building off this suggestion…

If the CV matrix worked such that an unpatched CV jack had 5V normalled to it, then we could just use one of these sources in the mod matrix to extend the time range of a stage. (For example, by assigning the unpatched jack with the desired level of attenuation to the Rise and Fall parameters of Out 1.) There’s clearly not much sensible room in the UI for additional “modes” in each channel, but this could work.

A bonus that would come from this is that we would be able to use one of these 5V-normalled CV sources to set attenuation (and polarity) of an output directly on the module (useful if you’re short attenuverters).

The only downside I can think of (besides complexities in actually implementing this, that I have no visibility into) is that when someone removes a patch cable from any assigned CV inputs, the effect that the normalled voltage then has on the assigned parameters could be a source of confusion.

I guess if this were a system option (5V normalled to unpatched CV inputs: True/False), everyone could be happy.

2 Likes

That’s an interesting suggestion! With 5V normalled you could also attenuvert it to achieve other offsets. This would be useful if CV is assigned to LEVEL in order to not mute the channel if nothing’s connected.

1 Like

Yes, exactly!

WHOA!

3 Likes

Single Quadrax self-patches are great, often test with that during my day-to-day. Easy to setup a crazy self-modulating mono patch, or a two/three voice paraphonic or 2 discrete voices.

2 Likes

Quadrax 1.1.9.1 (1.2.0 Beta) has been uploaded: Quadrax 1.1.9.1 (1.2.0 beta)

4 Likes

Oh hey, that’s me :slight_smile:

I’ve really been digging into Quadrax a lot lately and feel like it exemplifies everything that makes modular synths so dang cool. How on earth can one module work as an audio voice, envelope, faux-VCA, clock, and modulator all in one? Now that we have more robust clock syncing I can’t see anything else replacing Quadrax.

Speaking of using Quadrax as a voice, the rise knob is so sensitive that it’s really tough to tune when at audio rates. Anyone have any ideas for working around this? Maybe that’s another ask for a firmware update (like the frequency range limit in Plaits) but I realize that’s a tall order considering how much is already packed in there.

3 Likes

Oh, huh. I guess one way to not have to tune all the Quadrax channels is to just set three channels to be synced to the first and then fiddle with frequency dividing/multiplying :man_shrugging:

There’s probably a better way to do this but here’s my first stab at a patch:

Quadrax channel 1 is set to LFO with rise modulated by CV A (a short sequence from Marbles). Audio output from channel 1 goes to my VCA/Mixer, Veils, and also goes back into Trigger 2 :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Quadrax channel 2 syncs to Trigger 2 but has rise lowered so it runs an octave lower.

Quadrax channel 3 is linked to channel 2 via the trig sync mode (red) and then rise is adjusted to play a higher pitch (e.g. an octave up)

Quadrax channel 4 is linked to channel 3 via the trig sync mode (red) and then rise is adjusted to play an even higher pitch (e.g. a 5th)

The synced oscillators sound kinda glitchy almost like there is some aliasing type sounds (maybe because it’s trying to sync to an audio source rather than a clean clock signal). Very fun though and something I want to continue to play with.

3 Likes

You could change the knobs to non linear scale. The short half could almost stay and on the long side it could get to double the range.

The knobs are already non-linear :slight_smile: