Quadrax

I agree, the sweep from like maybe 1-3k is super small, but I understand they probably wanted a wider sweep for lower frequencies since it’s primarily an LFO, after all.

I also noticed that syncing the LFOs doesn’t sound completely seamless, I guess I’d use the same word, it sounds a little “glitchy”…maybe like you said, something with the digital processing, I don’t know. I haven’t played with the multiplying and dividing with links much yet though so I’m not sure how often this kind of imperfection is bound to happen.

Anyway, that was a great idea to sync LFOs in the audible range, I think I might try that!

1 Like

Would it be possible in any way to get a stepped random out of the Quadrax when it’s in Alt Lfo random mode? Or would I have to patch it into a sample and hold?

Perhaps a future firmware update could add this? Would be super useful.

If you send a clock to the TRIG input on the LFV it will sync the vacillation with RISE setting the division/multiplication similar to LFO mode. I’ll copy paste the bit from the manual below.

If the LFV is beat-synchronized (clock sent to TRIG input), then rotating the RISE (RATE) knob
changes the multiplication/division of the incoming clock. At the noon position (straight up), the knob
sets the vacillation rate equal to the incoming clock rate. Rotating the knob counterclockwise divides
the clock, achieving a rate 1/64 of the clock rate when fully counterclockwise. Rotating the knob
clockwise multiplies the clock rate, achieving a rate 64 times faster than the incoming clock when
fully clockwise.

Great, Thanks Scott, I’ll give it a whirl.

This sounds interesting. Will the output be stepped though?

I’ll have to check it out with a scope. I believe with the SHAPE knob counterclockwise it will be steppy, but it might be more spiky and not hold sustained values.

1 Like

Hi, I was hoping maybe someone could explain something to me. I put a VCO through the trigger 2 Input of the Quadrax and even though that channel of the Quadrax was connected to nothing I could hear the VCO coming through the Quad VCA which Out 1 of the Quadrax was connected to through the CV input of the Quad VCA. Channel 1 of the Quadrax had the gate of my sequencer as its Trigger input. I’m a newb at this stuff, so it wasn’t what I expected to happen. Could anyone explain to me why this would be the case? Thank you!

So if I understand correctly, your patch was as follows:
VCO to Quadrax CH2 TRIG IN
Sequencer Gate to Quadrax CH1 TRIG IN
Quadrax CH1 to VCA CV IN

Meaning the VCO is not connected to to the VCA but you could still hear it? Is that correct or is there patch details I’m missing? Do you have any Channel Link features engaged? If you’re able to send a video to support@intellijel.com I should be able to help you out there.

Yes that’s right. I actually did take a video of it. I’ll have to double-check what the channel links were now, but Channel One was not linked , the light was unlit. I’ll send you the video. Thanks.

So, I’ve been trying out the alt lfo mode, LFV mode. and I’m having difficulties finding a good use case for it, was this feature designed with anything particular in mind?

I’d love to get some examples from everyone and the folks at Intellijel of possibilities of how one might use this mode.

No specific purpose, just any time you want some random modulation for something. You can affect the rate and range of range of change by using the controls. Great for just adding some randomization to sounds, or it makes a really useful tool for generative patches.

Thank you.
I find it tends to be more random in the direction the LFO is moving, so it will be random, but still kinda get to the top of the cycle, and then be random all the way down to the bottom. I guess it is LFO Alt mode after all. I’ve been trying to use it as more of a stepped random to use with a quantiser to generate melodies, but it doesn’t really work like that.

Another question I have is, I’ve been loving using Quadrax in LFO mode as 4 oscillators.
You can coax some lovely sounds out of it, and I love that it tracks 1V/Oct.

The only slightly fiddly thing is tuning each channel so they’re all the same. Just the slightest knob turn at the top end of the knob is CRAZY sensitive.

I’d love to see an update or an ALT mode that would maybe make this easier to tune / manage.
Or can you recommend anything that might help?

1 Like

@peachesandbacon - I use the LVF mode, and smooth random in general, FAR more than regular LFOs as a modulation source. I find that sines/triangles tend to make things sound repetitive/cyclical. After years of slab synths where your only choices for modulation are these cyclical waveforms or the robotic steps of sample+hold square random - using smooth random is amazing.
I also have a Xaoc Batumi with the alternate firmware to give me 4 more sources of smooth random.
The best part about smooth random, vascillators, and sources derived from the Buchla Source of Uncertanty - is that you create sounds that evolve with very little or no percieved start or end.
I use these random/pseudo-random CVs to modulate things like wavefolders, FM amounts, and even subtle amounts added to filter cutoff and resonance in addition to envelopes. It creates an aspect of humanization and instability… “uncertainty”, if you will :wink:
An example… check out the track below.
Notice the bassline, this is a Piston Honda MkIII wavetable oscillator. I’m using smooth random CV to modulate the wavetables, so that every note you hear is actually a different waveform. And the bassline is Hertz Donut MkIII with smooth random shifting FM and wavefolding so every note has a variation from the last.
In this case I was using Batumi and Pamela’s NEW! Workout to create the smooth randoms (Quadrax was busy with envelopes), but the LVFs get roughly the same result with a little more control over the deviation over time.

3 Likes

Sounds great!

The way the vascillator works is that the probability of moving in a particular direction is inversely proportional to the distance from that end. So if it’s near the top of the range it will have a higher probability of moving down than moving up, and vice-versa. That is what makes it a kind “random LFO” as opposed to just “noise”.

2 Likes

Been having a lot of fun self patching the Quadrax. Here’s my setup…

Channel 1 in LFO mode oscillating at audio frequency, with the pitch (CV A: Rise CH1) being controlled from a sequencer.

Channel 2 is set to AD mode and the sequencer is firing that which in turn is controlling the amplitude of Channel 1 (CV B: Level CH1).

More shenanigans can be had by setting Channel 3 to LFO to control the timbre via self patching (CV C: Shape CH1 and CV C: Fall CH1).

Finally, things can get a gloriously clangorous by setting Channel 4 to LFO at audio rate which in turn then frequency modulates Channel 1 via self patching (CV D: Rise CH1). The depth of this can also be controlled via the envelope from Channel 2, which makes things even more wonky.

A complete sound source, VCA and modulation all from a single Quadrax. Stunning.

3 Likes

Have you tried putting one or more of the LFOs into alt lfo mode? That could create some interesting shifting timbres

Yeah you can basically make a krell patch using just Quadrax with the LFV mode. I’ve been meaning to make a tutorial video to demonstrate this.

5 Likes

Ohhh yeah - that is a great idea! THX

OK, I made a quick little tutorial to demonstrate how to use Quadrax on its own to make a generative Krell patch with an example of how you can expand it.

5 Likes