Quadrax

Building off this suggestion…

If the CV matrix worked such that an unpatched CV jack had 5V normalled to it, then we could just use one of these sources in the mod matrix to extend the time range of a stage. (For example, by assigning the unpatched jack with the desired level of attenuation to the Rise and Fall parameters of Out 1.) There’s clearly not much sensible room in the UI for additional “modes” in each channel, but this could work.

A bonus that would come from this is that we would be able to use one of these 5V-normalled CV sources to set attenuation (and polarity) of an output directly on the module (useful if you’re short attenuverters).

The only downside I can think of (besides complexities in actually implementing this, that I have no visibility into) is that when someone removes a patch cable from any assigned CV inputs, the effect that the normalled voltage then has on the assigned parameters could be a source of confusion.

I guess if this were a system option (5V normalled to unpatched CV inputs: True/False), everyone could be happy.

2 Likes

That’s an interesting suggestion! With 5V normalled you could also attenuvert it to achieve other offsets. This would be useful if CV is assigned to LEVEL in order to not mute the channel if nothing’s connected.

1 Like

Yes, exactly!

WHOA!

3 Likes

Single Quadrax self-patches are great, often test with that during my day-to-day. Easy to setup a crazy self-modulating mono patch, or a two/three voice paraphonic or 2 discrete voices.

2 Likes

Quadrax 1.1.9.1 (1.2.0 Beta) has been uploaded: Quadrax 1.1.9.1 (1.2.0 beta)

4 Likes

Oh hey, that’s me :slight_smile:

I’ve really been digging into Quadrax a lot lately and feel like it exemplifies everything that makes modular synths so dang cool. How on earth can one module work as an audio voice, envelope, faux-VCA, clock, and modulator all in one? Now that we have more robust clock syncing I can’t see anything else replacing Quadrax.

Speaking of using Quadrax as a voice, the rise knob is so sensitive that it’s really tough to tune when at audio rates. Anyone have any ideas for working around this? Maybe that’s another ask for a firmware update (like the frequency range limit in Plaits) but I realize that’s a tall order considering how much is already packed in there.

3 Likes

Oh, huh. I guess one way to not have to tune all the Quadrax channels is to just set three channels to be synced to the first and then fiddle with frequency dividing/multiplying :man_shrugging:

There’s probably a better way to do this but here’s my first stab at a patch:

Quadrax channel 1 is set to LFO with rise modulated by CV A (a short sequence from Marbles). Audio output from channel 1 goes to my VCA/Mixer, Veils, and also goes back into Trigger 2 :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Quadrax channel 2 syncs to Trigger 2 but has rise lowered so it runs an octave lower.

Quadrax channel 3 is linked to channel 2 via the trig sync mode (red) and then rise is adjusted to play a higher pitch (e.g. an octave up)

Quadrax channel 4 is linked to channel 3 via the trig sync mode (red) and then rise is adjusted to play an even higher pitch (e.g. a 5th)

The synced oscillators sound kinda glitchy almost like there is some aliasing type sounds (maybe because it’s trying to sync to an audio source rather than a clean clock signal). Very fun though and something I want to continue to play with.

3 Likes

You could change the knobs to non linear scale. The short half could almost stay and on the long side it could get to double the range.

The knobs are already non-linear :slight_smile:

I agree, the sweep from like maybe 1-3k is super small, but I understand they probably wanted a wider sweep for lower frequencies since it’s primarily an LFO, after all.

I also noticed that syncing the LFOs doesn’t sound completely seamless, I guess I’d use the same word, it sounds a little “glitchy”…maybe like you said, something with the digital processing, I don’t know. I haven’t played with the multiplying and dividing with links much yet though so I’m not sure how often this kind of imperfection is bound to happen.

Anyway, that was a great idea to sync LFOs in the audible range, I think I might try that!

1 Like

Would it be possible in any way to get a stepped random out of the Quadrax when it’s in Alt Lfo random mode? Or would I have to patch it into a sample and hold?

Perhaps a future firmware update could add this? Would be super useful.

If you send a clock to the TRIG input on the LFV it will sync the vacillation with RISE setting the division/multiplication similar to LFO mode. I’ll copy paste the bit from the manual below.

If the LFV is beat-synchronized (clock sent to TRIG input), then rotating the RISE (RATE) knob
changes the multiplication/division of the incoming clock. At the noon position (straight up), the knob
sets the vacillation rate equal to the incoming clock rate. Rotating the knob counterclockwise divides
the clock, achieving a rate 1/64 of the clock rate when fully counterclockwise. Rotating the knob
clockwise multiplies the clock rate, achieving a rate 64 times faster than the incoming clock when
fully clockwise.

Great, Thanks Scott, I’ll give it a whirl.

This sounds interesting. Will the output be stepped though?

I’ll have to check it out with a scope. I believe with the SHAPE knob counterclockwise it will be steppy, but it might be more spiky and not hold sustained values.

1 Like

Hi, I was hoping maybe someone could explain something to me. I put a VCO through the trigger 2 Input of the Quadrax and even though that channel of the Quadrax was connected to nothing I could hear the VCO coming through the Quad VCA which Out 1 of the Quadrax was connected to through the CV input of the Quad VCA. Channel 1 of the Quadrax had the gate of my sequencer as its Trigger input. I’m a newb at this stuff, so it wasn’t what I expected to happen. Could anyone explain to me why this would be the case? Thank you!

So if I understand correctly, your patch was as follows:
VCO to Quadrax CH2 TRIG IN
Sequencer Gate to Quadrax CH1 TRIG IN
Quadrax CH1 to VCA CV IN

Meaning the VCO is not connected to to the VCA but you could still hear it? Is that correct or is there patch details I’m missing? Do you have any Channel Link features engaged? If you’re able to send a video to support@intellijel.com I should be able to help you out there.

Yes that’s right. I actually did take a video of it. I’ll have to double-check what the channel links were now, but Channel One was not linked , the light was unlit. I’ll send you the video. Thanks.

So, I’ve been trying out the alt lfo mode, LFV mode. and I’m having difficulties finding a good use case for it, was this feature designed with anything particular in mind?

I’d love to get some examples from everyone and the folks at Intellijel of possibilities of how one might use this mode.