Metropolix and Gx

It is 90deg, but the dupont connector has a plugged pin-hole, so that would need to be drilled out, and then the pins will need to be shuffled around. This will also not allow you to use the MIDI 1U or MIDI modules at the same time.

For info I just have the usb cable running out of the back of the module straight out of a 2u gap in my case. Haven’t had any issues whatsoever, works brilliantly. Only reason I will buy an expander is because I have nerdy OCD, I don’t think I technically need one.

Accum limits question: is it semitones or scale steps?

If it’s scale step most of the western scales should have Root+Octave on the 8th grade of limit, but it’s not the case if I can hear it correctly.

If it’s semitones how exactly the maths works.

Scale Degrees (Scale Steps), Accum Limits are non-inclusive of the current position, they are in addition to it.

Let’s call the current slider position 1, this means that accumulating up 7 degrees will be the Octave jump for the current position.

You can see this post for programming a 1 octave toggle on each accumulation, might help understand the math.

Thank you for clarification, but it bears another question about the limit.

So we have the Major C

Slider Position 1 is C +7 Accum Up will take it to C+8ve as you’ve explained, but if the Upper Limit is 13 (assuming we have the default Unipolar Wrap settings) will give us the next jump to

8+7 = B

And while we are still on that - if Accum Jump is higher than the limit and wrap is set - we will have kind of “hopscotch” on the octave degrees?

(I am sorry for bothering you with what should be explored, but I enjoy jamming with Mx that much that I don’t have patience to check hypothesis :slight_smile:

Also: could I #wishlist:

• Chromaric being put on the first slot of the scale list
  • Default slider range to 1 octave
  • just intonation scales
  • octave shift available on Alt+Track page as well as semitones
  • Have you tried saving scales to various Stage buttons (SLIDE, SKIP etc.) then using the ALT button to recall them?
  • IMO, default of one octave might be a bit extreme, I think 2 is a little more practical
  • Easy octave shift would be nice (aren’t semitone shift currently available with Transpose?)
  • Oh thanks for the “Saving scales to slider buttons” idea, missed it in the manual.
  • 2 may work. 3 is all over the place for me
  • yes, there are semitones with transpose, but Octaves are only available with control mapping

Is it possible to connect Metropolix to a hardware synth using AudioMIDI Setup on Mac?

Assuming both pieces of hardware are connected to the Mac, I usually use MIDIPipe if I want to do something outside of the DAW

http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net/MidiPipe.html

1 Like

I’ll give it a try, thanks.
Also, has anyone tried something like the Kenton MIDI USB HOST with Metropolix?

If you have a Raspberry Pi 3 or 4 you can make one following these instructions. Literally just flash the image onto an SD card and go. I use this one often in my setup and it works just fine with Metropolix:

https://neuma.studio/rpi-as-midi-host.html

2 Likes

i have one of these sitting around that i used to use to bring an OP-1 into my MIDI chain: MIDI USB to DIN Converter

been meaning to try it out with the metropolix… would be cool to figure out how to wire it up to the case’s MIDI ports and power it off the power board and just keep it behind panels.

Now I am lost again with Accum maths. Here is an example from the manual.

1. it states “Stage pitch (0)” which gives us Scale Degree of 1. Then it goes 1+3 to F. Which is reasonable.

2. then it goes to F+3 to B in the same manner.

3. And then we have a wrap point. I assumed that it should jump that way: B+1=C, B+2=D, B+3=E. But the graph shows D.

May be it’s a mistake in the drawing, or am I doing the maths wrong?

I think the way to think about it is: A unipolar limit of +7 means that the accumulator will play (depending on Reset settings, up to) 7 notes higher than the original Stage Pitch. So for example, assuming Stage Pitch is c3:

0 = c3 (0) first note played
1 = d3 (1)
2 = e3 (2)
3 = f3 (3) second note played
4 = g3 (4)
5 = a3 (5)
6 = b3 (6) third note played
7 = c4 (7)
8 = c3 (0)
9 = d3 (1) fourth note played

and so on. I think the missing piece for you is the octave is different at steps 7 and 8 and it treats c4 and c3 as two different steps. For it to go c3-f3-b3-e3 like you’re saying, you would need an upper limit of +6.

Think of “+x” as, “it will go x scale degrees above the Stage Pitch, play the note x degrees above the Stage Pitch, then wrap back to the Stage Pitch and start over.”

I hope that helps!

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I’ve missed the c4!

I just reprinted the manual, and am now realizing that the new manual, 193 pages, is 55 pages longer than the 1.0 manual, which was 138 pages. This has to be one of the biggest manuals in Euro! Don’t get me wrong, more explanation and detail is better when it comes to this stuff. :blush:

1 Like

Why on earth would you print the whole manual?

I would be absolutely over the moon about some level of support for microtonality in Metropolix. In a perfect world, would love to see a uTune-style implementation where you can simply browse/select from a large library of scales. But even something simpler like user-defined steps per octave or an option for un-quantized output from the pitch jacks would be super slick.

1 Like

Going back through the manual, on page 103 under Loading Presets it says:

If the LEN screen’s Pulses parameter is set to anything other than ‘Auto’, then the queued preset loads when the sequence resets.

This is confusing because can’t LEN be different for each track? I recall in the past that Track 1’s LEN settings controlled queueing, is that still the case in this kind of situation? Or does it mean, “If either track’s LEN screen’s Pulses parameter is set to anything other than ‘Auto’…”?