Metropolix and Gx

Yet Another Feature Request! :pray:

Please consider adding two new Ctrl/Aux Assign targets: bipolar and unipolar diverging CV Track maps (i.e. invert Track 2 CV but not Track 1 CV.) So, on top of the Trk 1, Trk 2, and Trk 1+2 targets there would also be something like Trk 1+~2 (for bipolar input) and Trk 1+~2+5v (for unipolar input).

Here is a picture of what I do to get this behavior from stock Metropolix and friends:

I split the CV (from Planar2 in this case) and feed the first leg to the X input of Metropolix (cyan), then feed the second leg (gray) through Triplatt to invert (and add 5v for uni-polar), then finally into the Z input (green) on Metropolix. I then assign both X and Z to the same target parameter, but different target tracks.

In practice, when using different stage lengths (4 and 4 in the picture), different ordering (Track 2 runs in reverse), and assigning both X and Z to Stages Offset, I can automate/generate these long complimentary melodies with tons of contrary motion, but I consume two precious cv inputs! Using one CV input/knob instead of 2 would allow this technique to be applied to up to 5 targets for both tracks (not counting mod lanes.) I have tried this technique with similar results to other parameters like Pitch Pre. This may be applicable to Mod Lanes as well, but I haven’t run out of those yet! :smiley:

Thanks!

1 Like

I will add to the wishlist. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Question: Is there a way to modulate pitch-pre and have the note held on one pitch while the gate is open for more than one pulse count? When modulating pitch-pre with an lfo the notes change on each pulse count when the note is held for longer than one pulse count. It would be great to have an option where the note maintains the same pitch throughout a held note that has more than 1 pulse count. Essentially like a S+H that samples at the start of each note rather than sampled at each pulse count. I’ve made a quick video to show what I’m on about

Cheers

Thanks for the submission, we have this one on the wishlist for review in the future. :slight_smile:

(Also moved your topic to the Module thread, as it’s not really something to address on the livestream)

3 Likes

Ace! Thanks slowwild

1 Like

I think it would be interesting to have a millisecond delay on clock parameter for each track, but I don’t know if that’s fundamentally impossible with the way things are scheduled. I like the idea of modulating the phase between the tracks.

Is the gx not meant to go on the right side of the metropolix? I noticed the 6 pin cable that came with the gx was just barely too short to do so. I ordered a longer one from amazon but was a bit flummoxed that I had to do so.

Yeah, I put mine on the left. Seemed odd.

Thought I’d share this great example of someone (not me) really “playing” the Metropolix…inspiring stuff!

3 Likes

Here’s some background and an interview with Danjel on Metropolix before the Live Stream!

Thanks Synth Talk!

5 Likes

nice that’s me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:blush: :blush: I had a strange feeling I might be talking about one of us! Awesome!! Did you see my comment on YouTube? I’m R. Omega there.

1 Like

Ah, really happy to hear Intellijel licensed Jake’s design, that’s great.

1 Like

Just a thought, but I would love to be able to hold down the track# button and use the sliders to set the current stage value (pitch, accumulator, ratchet etc.) versus the current way of selecting the stage then using a knob. That would make things a lot faster, especially for track 2.

I love everything this thing does, incredible work team! Especially the new 1.3 release. WOW

We made a pretty firm design choice that the slider and switch positions should always* reflect the value internally to the applicable tracks. It’s an analog mind set for the primary parameters; this makes for very clear and immediate changes to pitch and gate/sequence timing. You’re not left wondering what your track is set too, or which track you are editing at any given time.

*The one compromise is loading pitches/switches from a preset. But as you may have noticed, that is disabled by default.

We may cover these design thoughts a little more on the stream tomorrow.

Thanks for the kind words :slight_smile: We’re really happy with where things are at in 1.3.

PS—Merged your topic into the main Metropolix thread.

1 Like

Ok, that makes sense. The problem with what I suggested would be that the slider position AFTER the changes wouldn’t match up with the track 1 state. I still think it would be useful as an optional workflow, perhaps with slide through latching of the real state, where the slider would temporarily do nothing til it got back to the value of the actual state.

To be honest the Metropolix is already magical, so I am happy to jump through some extra menu and knob choices if it’s a firm design choice.

Thanks again!

1 Like

@slowwild thanks for sharing the article. There is so much depth to the Metropolix and many riffs to be discovered.

Hey there all, in love with Metropolix. I’m waiting on the GX but trying to think of something similar to Metropolix but for rhythm. Can I acheive this with the expander? If so I’m super pumped!

For rhythmic triggers, I love the Steppy(s)

The only thing that could make them better is if they could communicate with Metropolix in some meaningful way! (Trigger preset load or ‘linked’ loopy)

1 Like

hi tim! one interesting option that isn’t out yet is the u-he wiretap. it takes two CVs and generates triggers based on what they’re doing, and seems like an interesting partner to metropolix’s two pitch outputs.

1 Like