Metropolix and Gx

That sounds similar to the way 4ms Ensemble Oscillator and MI Marbles can ‘learn’ custom scales.

Basically yes! But if we would be able to do it with MIDI and dynamically on the fly while a patch is playing, that would be awesome for immediacy, put the Metropolix in ‘dynamic scale mode’ and just play chords/scale on a midi keyboard and you have a new melody in that chord.

So midi notes held = scale on the metropolix. On release of midi notes, only keep notes that are released within a set time from the last released note (couple tenths of a second) as the scale. And when you then play a new chord the metropolix will switch to that, dropping the old notes and adding the new.

1 Like

That definitely sounds convenient !

1 Like

Sorry for double post, but I replied to the firmware post last time… feature suggestion:

Mx/Gx expander request:

Have each of the Gx outs be controlled by a mod lane in gate mode. Basically being a 8 lane gate sequencer.

I like that there’s now a click/div clock out per mod lane, but having it be per stage output via gate mode would offer up a lot of functionality. ie, mod1 → Gx Out 1 mod 2-> out 2 etc

I actually handle this the opposite way, ie, I run everything in the Metropolix in C, and then route that to my Sinfonion set to ‘follow root’ mode, which will basically transpose it all to the right key… works quite well.

1 Like

Okay, done.
I made an USB-MIDI host out of an Adafruit Trinket M0. It draws power directly from the 5V pins on the rail. Also I had to solder a short USB OTG cable (micro-B to micro-B). Now my MIDI 1U extends the Metropolix. Works like charm and everything stays inside the case. I’m a bit proud, I have to admit.

(Of course I wrapped some more shrinking tube around the whole thing for isolation.)

3 Likes

That looks like an easy (and cheap) solution. Very nice!
Would you mind elaborating a bit more as i was not familiar with the trinket M0 until now.

1. Does it have to be programmed in any way or can it be used right out the box?

2. What exactly are the connectors you soldered to it? Do you have a pic of the whole thing incl cables/connectors by any chance?

Thanks!

I did a little write up.

https://kleinerdrei.net/2023/02/16/extending-metropolix.html

4 Likes

Wow this is super cool. Great information and very nice write up! Thanks for sharing

I use the A & B CV Outs as gate toggles to trigger kick and snare on a drum module. These CV outs are dependent on pulse counts, so when pulse counts change, the sequence from the outs changes. Would it be possible to create a setting for CV Outs that overrides the pulse counts?

In my opinion, the CV outs A & B still have not unleashed their full potential e.g. custom wave-shapes as you would have on Ableton Live or on other CV modules (Malekko Quad LFO or the Pamela’s Workouts to name a few).
Thanks for reading :thread:

I think you’re saying you’re using the CV Lane of track 1 and 2, and if you use a mod lane instead, it won’t be married to the pulse counts, IIRC.

Hey neuromod, thanks for your reply. Yeah, CV for tracks 1 & 2 go out from A & B outs respectively.
Mod lanes or triggers through GX can spit out triggers based on clock divisions and probability, and yes they are not dependent on pulse counts. However, they don’t function as gate toggles which can be manually edited (like a step sequencer).

Okay, I just took a look and you can manually edit the gates (as I would understand that sentence), BUT triggers in a row stay high, which would be pretty limiting. At least, they appeared to from watching the LED. (I tried setting the mod lane to any gate-type destination, e.g. in my case “accumulation reverse”, and routing that to output A).

1 Like

Did you Alt + TYPE = CV Accent / Gate or Gate Toggle it? Also ALT A & B should be both set to CV.

That’s how you manually add gates. Hope that is clear enough? :slight_smile:
With that setting you can spit out gates for creating a kick / snare variation for example, not only 4 to the floor or triplets as you would expect by using clock triggers & clock divisions.

1 Like

Right, I see that - so you can do the same thing with a mod track, if it’s set to a gate-type destination. You get the same eight circles that you can toggle, unmarried to stage length. But, as I noted, it stays high on consecutive “on” steps, you don’t get multiple triggers. So it does seem unusable for drums, but you can edit the mod lane gates in what appears to be the same way you edit the CV gates (with the notable caveat about consecutive steps). To be clear: I’m not trying to be pedantic about something that I think isn’t really a viable solution for your ask - I am just wondering if I’m missing some further distinction between them that I’d benefit from having cleared up!

1 Like

Can you explain briefly how to use the Metropolix’s Tuner for tuning Atlantis say? I can’t seem to find any practical examples out there. (and I’m simple!)

Also can you tell me again (heard this somewhere) which button combo it is to give the mod lane random value and is it possible to have incoming CV change a mod lane’s random output to a new one each time it receives? (I think Scott showed me this trick)

Apologies if any of this has been asked before. Thank You!

Hey, I’m out of season with Mx, decided it wasn’t for me! I think it’s awesome but I realized that my sequencing needs are quite simple and can be handled by most step sequencers.

Metropolix Tuner just sets the pitch outputs to fixed octaves, 0,1,2,3V (C note) etc. So you can tune multiple oscillators by ear or with a Tuner.

Hello, I would like to ask some advice on a patch I fail to set.

I want to plug Metropolix (track 1 gate and pitch ie) into Shifty, in order to dispatch stages to several voices, regardless of the pulse count, ratchets, etc. On each stage, Shifty would allocate gate and pitch to the next voice. Shifty in track&hold mode in order to output accumulator pitch changes inside a stage.

Gx can output stage gates but they seems too long for my use, I catch the beginning of the next stage :frowning: Is the gate lenght of this ouput is configurable ? Ideally I would need a gate which finish on the last pulse of the current stage.

Otherwise I found the New Stage ouput, it’s a trigger, so I tried to use it to switch between a low state and a high state (flip-flop), but I got the same result : I catch the first new stage pulse in my “home-made” stage gate.

Any other idea to put this patch on rails?
Is a feature request about a stage gate output encompassing the stage pulses a good idea? I think so, but I might be wrong.

Thanks by advance

Let’s simplify, I would like to externally switch Metropolix stages (gate + pitch, with S&H on the last pitch) on several (2 is enough) voices (VCO for pitch + enveloppe for gate).
Several gates can occur on a same stage, so a basic switch can’t work.
How can I do that ?