Metropolix and Gx

First Pulse is probably what you are after, and probably from Track 1. First Pulse will fire when the Track resets, either by Global Reset (Button, RESET Jack, or Total Pulses), or when the Track LEN>Pulses length is reached (will not trigger on Auto).

EDIT: To clarify, there is not a specific trigger for Preset Load.

No. If Global reset is turned off for a track, then the track will not reset when the Reset button is pressed, or the Reset Jack has a gate, and since it did not cause the track to reset, it will not fire the First Pulse trigger on a Global Reset.

If your LEN>Pulses is set, then your track will reset on that counter, and fire First Pulse, since your track is resetting itself.

Simpler: First Pulse fires on the first pulse of a track, If the track is reset, it will fire. If the track is not reset, it will not fire.

Thank you both for your input!

1 Like

I just did the upgrade to 1.3.4 and am having difficulty with pattern chaining. I have read the manual again but can’t work out what is going wrong. My settings are:

Setup menu: Total Pulses 16;
Preset > Advanced: Queue Pulses 16
Track 1: Pulses AUTO

I have saved a pattern into Green 7; then changed it and saved it into Green 8.

When doing a quick chain with 1 repetition of G7 and 1 of G8, the pattern chain doesn’t seem to kick in. If I alter the sliders when it’s playing it plays one loop of the new pattern then reverts to what was stored in the original pattern.

Is this user error, a known issue or a bug?

I just tested with the same settings on the same preset bank/number, it’s working here.

Couple things to check:

• On the Preset Chain screen you should see the little Play icon jumping between the two presets every 16 steps as well as the Chain icon flashing in the bottom left.
  • If you want it to load Pitch (Slider) and Switch positions this also needs to be enabled in the Preset Setup menu.

Can you shoot a video to support@intellijel.com if you are still having issues?

Small update—

2 Likes

When I suggested the ADSR on out A/B it wasn’t because I didn’t have modules that could do it, but rather it would be a more elegant solution to voice creation. I had mentioned that you can do limited service with the mod lanes, but being able to have fully functional envelope generators, removing excess modules in the audio path, would just be useful, and seems like it should be capable from the hardware side of the metropolix with a bit of code porting. Definitely not the end of the world though.

2 Likes

Is there an accumulator setting somewhere that will let my pattern run a certain amount of times before transposing it up.

I’m picturing my pattern or loop playing 16 times for example, and then it will shift the whole pattern up, like the TRACK mode does in the ACCUM LIM settings but not after every play, after a pre determined amount of loops. It could then play that new transposed pattern another 16 times and shift up again.

Maybe this already exists, and I dont know about it. But if it doesn’t, could you implement it please?

Also would there be a workaround to do this manually? Would I use the pitch pre to change this? Or does accum work differently?

Hi guys,

Is there a way to edit the slider (pitch) step by step without the module running? I’d love to be able to do that: trigger a stage by hitting the corresponding button while editing the pitch. apology if that exists already

Loopy when not running does this, I think?

2 Likes

Use one of the eight mod lanes to toggle “accumulator?” you can put the mod lane gate/trigger on stage 5 - 8, for example and set the lane’s clock division to /64. that will allow the un-accumulated sequence to play for a number of times before it kicks in.

theres a few different ways to approach this. mod lanes are where i’d suggest starting. learn mod lanes and watch how infinitely far a single pattern can go

additionally you could save the pattern to two present slots, one with accumulator and one without, and then pattern chain the two

2 Likes

Thanks @amblues! I was typing the same thing as you posted :slight_smile:.

PS— Your post had more to chew on :stuck_out_tongue:

Absolutely brilliant. I was certain there would be a way, just needed someone with a more in depth understanding of the module to point it out. Thank you!

Just turn the RUN button off and then turn LOOPY on. Now you can play the stages without the sequencer running

You can set a MOD lane to accumulate and select how many stages and then divide down to your desired time.

4ms pod 34x :”- NO! You won’t have the metropolix and the expander in the same case.”

Me: “-Errrrr…. Hold me beer….”

5 Likes

Feature request(s):

1. The ability to edit presets while a preset chain is enabled i.e. without needing to disable the chain first.

2. The ability to start playback of a chain from any step in the chain. This would be handy if someone makes a change to a preset, then wants to quickly hear the change in the context of the rest of the chain. In my experience it’s been impractical to listen to the entire chain from the beginning in order to wait for that moment, and I have created smaller, adjacent “sub-chains” to serve this purpose. So it would be great if I didn’t have to do that. Maybe if the cursor is on “Enable (Disable) Chain” it would play back from the beginning, otherwise if the cursor is on a specific step it would play back from there? And then it would just loop normally from there.

Thank you for such an awesome, intuitive sequencer, Intellijel!

1 Like

Another one:

A global menu toggle to assure that, for a time, everything you are doing to one track will always be done to the other track. I’m aware that it’s possible to copy and paste settings from one track to the other but it would be cool if you didn’t even have to worry about it with this option engaged.

At this point it seems that you won’t be creating the option to completely disconnect the switch settings for both tracks (which would make it function more like a standard sequencer with independent tracks), and I’ve been trying to get on board with this idea of the tracks being connected. So what I would ask for (perhaps as a consolation) is to have the option to completely link the tracks perfectly for any desired amount of time (maybe if the settings for both tracks are not identical at a given moment and this option is engaged, any new changes to one track will override the settings on the other as well).

What I am finding is that with this idea of using the tracks in a connected way, sometimes (usually) I find myself wanting to create a sequence with Track 1, but then I want to go over to Track 2 with the knowledge that it is exactly like Track 1 and then start creating variations from there. As things are, if I completely ignore Track 2 while building Track 1, I have been finding that this first switchover to Track 2 is often less musical. If the tracks were linked up to that point though, I think I would have an easier time finding a musical sequence on Track 2. And for users who like the element of surprise with the present functionality, they would still have that option.

3 Likes

Hey y’all,
Apologies if this is already mentioned above but there are too many comments to go through as I have yet to get this sequencer but goodness it seems awesome! You got me at skip invert!

Anyway, I think it would be sweet to have a small expander with 4 or 8 sliders or knobs for complete control over that second track and the ability for that second track to effect root on the first. Basically thinking bass line to add to the lead that’s equally as jammable as the first track.

I love that there can be some intertwined sequences, just thinking about peeps with smaller performance cases that also want the power of this sequencer. Would be sweet to have a one stop shop for melody sequencing especially given the built in quantizer.

Another thought which could be a whole different sequencer would be one that allows you to split the 8 sliders to two concurrently running tracks. You’d use the encoder to dial in where the split would be (5 stages on the left, 3 on the right for example) and have the buttons at the bottom separated by two different colours. This would then override the second track to the split track so you’d essentially have a 5 stage metropolix next to a 3 stage one. Just feel like that could be so awesome and again would bring jammability to two tracks via the sliders and pulses.

Ideas any good ya think?

Regardless, gonna figure out when yo pick this one up. I have a small setup right now but this jives with me so much. Nice touch on the ratchets on stages with more pulse count than ratchets creating slower than clock pulses like a 3 pulse in a 4 pulse time. So good!

2 Likes

The different starting positions and playback speeds create a wonderful harmony.
You have to play for a long time to realize how good the workflow is.
The art is in the limitations.
Metropolix is a great sequencer.

3 Likes