Metropolix and Gx

I’m struggling a little making good musical transpositions of Metropolix using Tete and Tetrapad.

Currently, i have a sequence running on Metropolix in D Pentatonic, I’ve set Tete to Notes mode and set the scale on Tete to Pentatonic too, and I’ve got one of the note outs from Tetrapad going into the X in on Metropolix and X is set to ROOT to transpose the pattern.

I’m not getting very musical results, and thought there might be a better way to do this.

Intellijel, what would you recommend for settings on Metropolix and Tete to do this so it’s still sounds harmonically correct when it changes.

Would it be better to config X to one of the Pitch options instead of ROOT? Or using a different mode on Tete?

Some ideas would be very welcome here.

Using Pitch Pre will always be diatonic (in scale). Modulating Root, Pitch Post, Pitch Offset, may all knock your sequence “out of key” depending on the usage.

Pitch Pre/Post, Root are all chromatically quantized. So the source does not have to be, but it can (Like Notes Mode on Tetrapad). You can use the attenuators at full to match your source, but you can dial them back to taste.

2 Likes

I’ll look at some tweaks to the Presets UI, won’t make it to the next release, but maybe the one after.

1 Like

Fantastic, thank you. This is great advice, will try it out later on.

So the “pre” in pitch pre is pre-scale quantisation basically? it lets you adjust the pitch BEFORE it gets quantised by Metropolix?

yep, from the manual, p126 for Pitch Pre…

Positive voltages increase the pitch of all stages on the destination track(s) prior to quantization. This means the pitch changes will also be quantized, and all pitch outputs will conform to the selected scale. Negative voltages decrease the pre-quantization pitch values.

:eyes:

1 Like

Want to thank everyone here for their feedback as well, it all contributes to a better Metropolix. :black_heart:

4 Likes

I’d love the Metropolix to have the option to force start on the One.

I find myself using the reset input a lot when sequences go a little wild :slight_smile: but in use Metropolix also wants me to send a reset on the One to get it started in sync properly. I know I could feed my master reset and random resets via an OR logic path but yeah, allowing the module to do it on it’s own when stopped and restarted would be super useful and save an OR.

X

There is a new option to automatically reset when using the run button in 1.1.0.1:

New Global setting for Run Btn: Run/Pause (Original/Default) | Run/Stop.

But as far as other modules resetting the Metro, there is a couple ways with the reset input, you can use it in Run mode and when the Reset jack goes high, Metro will reset and start running, stop when it goes low; or in reset mode, the reset just needs to come before or with the clock pulse, because we can’t bend time yet ;). If metro gets a clock, it’s going to advance, and the timing needs to be tight.

There is not really a reliable way to auto detect when the clock stops, since it could just be a slow down in tempo, or intended behaviour from the user.

But i might be missing what your request is.

EDIT: you can also just passively mult 2 reset sources together and patch them into reset, don’t really need an or module for that. Using a stackable or intellijel hub.

1 Like

Just played around with the new firmware for the first time last night. Really great… it expands the possibilities of the accumulator in some really cool ways.

Now that we have all these chords available in the scales menu, it would be rad if there was a way to modulate scale/chord and if that’s something you’re planning on doing in the future, I think it would be really helpful to be able to see which scale the modulation ends up targeting as it would otherwise be really tricky to set up some mod lanes to make a chord progression just doing it by ear and incrementing through that list :slight_smile:

once again, my metropolix is a bit ahead of yours :wink:

4 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but does Play Order > Shuffle only work when LEN > Pulses = Auto? Can’t seem to wrap my head around that one…?

EDIT: Ok I think I’m understanding this a little more. If Pulses is not “Auto”, then the shuffle will reset at the end of every pulse count for the sequence. So if LEN > Stages = 8 and Pulses = 8, for example, it appears to not be shuffling because shuffle is resetting before it even gets a chance to loop. In this case, setting LEN > Pulses = 32 lets the shuffled pattern repeat four times before it changes again.

I’ve had trouble doing this in the past where it didn’t work as expected - not sure why. I’ll give it a try though.

Yeah, I understand the unknown of when is a clock stopped vs. a paused / slowed down state - which I guess is why I thought it might be good as an option that can be enabled or disabled. I would think maybe 0.5 seconds? I have a DOT by DNIPRO and it has this behaviour - I find it useful as it saves me a reset cable and source.

This was my first thought when I saw how close the controls are to the right panel side. An expander for 16 steps or simultaneous control of both 8 step tracks. Anything like this being considered?

2 Likes

It is something that we definitely considered early on in the design phase. There is potential for it in the future, but it depends on demand. I think the reality is that most people do not want to dedicate that much space to a sequencer in their system (too much total hp).

3 Likes

Guys…I’m dyin’ over here from all the times I’ve accidentally saved instead of loaded…please…save me from my misery…make it so every time you save it exits save, maybe goes back to load…that or an undo…

It’s in the next version, 1.2, no firm ETA yet.

Preview

• New “Save and Exit” action on the save screen is the new default.
  • New Confirmation Dialog when overwriting an existing preset.
2 Likes

Mmmmm tell us more about this “1.2” of which you speak

1 Like

Having issues with the Tuner specifically when set to Clock. It freaks out Akemie’s Taiko resulting in this garbled noise from the module. I think the issue is if you have a pattern programmed then the clock and the programmed gates play over the top of each other - I’m not sure why this should generate the noise I’m hearing, but I’m sure it’s not supposed to be like this. Tuning mode should ignore the rest of the module right and instead act purely as a tuner?

Right on. Will be great to have these in the UI mix.