Metropolix and Gx

I think it would be cool if the behaviour of the Run button could be either “resume running” or “reset and run.” I keep forgetting to tap Reset. I think I picked up “reset and run” from double-tapping the stop button on Elektron devices and it’s hard to break…

1 Like

this is already implemented in 1.1, out soon.

2 Likes

I have some experience with UI/UX as well and agreed, it’s a big reason why I love Intellijel so much: no slacking on UI/UX! :blush:

2 Likes

I’m wondering what extra things I can do with the Gx expander.

I had a look through the metropolix manual and can’t find a section on it.

Is there any documentation about what I can do with it anywhere?

It’s covered in the manual as MX on page 100. It can be set as Transport (Run, Reset, and various clock divisions), Mod Clocks (each output sends the clock division of the corresponding mod lane), Stage Num (outputs a high gate while the corresponding stage number of the assigned track is active), Mod Stage Num (outputs a high gate while the corresponding stage in an assigned mod lane is active).

@slowwild and Intellijel:

I have gotten to a point in using Metropolix where I basically want to create a sequence on Track 1 using all kinds of pitch, pulse, and gate type settings, then “freeze” all that and get to work fresh on track 2 where are the hardware switch controls are no longer tied to Track 1. In the last several hours of trying to make this work with various tweaks, it has actually proven impossible for my current arrangement (update: got it to work, see below). The pitches are fine, the problem appears to be with the relationship between the pulses and the gates as determined by various “overrides” dictated by mod lanes and Track Menu settings (update: I believe I have narrowed the problem down to the Pulse Count Mod Lane function).

I have experimented with all of the following:

• Mod Lane and Track 1 Length/Pulses/Clock Div
  • Mod Lane set to Pulse Count controlling Track 1
  • Track 1 Track Menu settings including Pulse Count and Gate Type

In the closest scenario I could come up with, when a Mod Lane controlling Track 1 was set to Pulse Count (so the mod lane could sequentially alter the pulse count stage by stage to mimic the the way the physical switches were), it seemed to be ignoring the fact that I had chosen Gate Type = Single and it made Track 1 behave like the Gate Type for each channel was Multi…is this making any sense?

Really trying hard to understand how the Pulse Count Mod Lane works…is it possible that when you ask it to create a certain pulse count at a certain Mod Lane step, it’s actually creating the requested pulse count on the step before the intended step?

EDIT 1: After some more experimentation, I’m fairly certain this is what is happening.

EDIT 2: Success! The solution ended up not involving a mod lane at all. What I ended up doing:

• Set Div > Pulse Div = 2
  • Went to Track 1 Menu and set Pulse Count = 2, Gate Type = Single, Ratchets = Pulse
  • Changed Length Pulses to something other than Auto (7 in my case)

I’m not sure that other Metropolix users will want to “freeze” all pitch/pulse/gate type settings so they can move on to play with the switches on Track 2 untied to Track 1, but that felt like a maze I needed to navigate.

1 Like

Hi, I don’t know if it already was asked but is there a way to create unquantized CV sequences instead of tuned 1v/o notes ?

I also saw that some people wanted pitch variations and microtuning stuff, I guess that if each step could output un quantized CV from 0V to 10V for example then we could dial our own exotic tunings.

You can use the CV Parameter on Tracks 1 and 2 for unquantized voltages. But the Pitch Sliders/Outputs and many of the modulation params are currently tied to 12-TET tuning.

With that said, we have some plans to review the possibility of alternate tuning systems, micro tuning and unquantized usage.

Just wanted to mention a very small glitch on my end: When on MOD > LEN, when you hit ALT, the four angular brackets are missing. ON TRK1 and TRK2 they are there. This confused me a little, I didn’t realize it was engaging at first but then figured it out.

Yeah, that’s fixed in the next release. hehe, oops.

1 Like

Thanks. And regarding my long post up there, I’m mainly concerned about two things with the Pulse Count Mod Lane option:

1. That it’s actually using Gate Type = Multi when the Pulse Count Mod Lane is active and the Gate Type = Single, and
  2. That it’s continuously triggering the per-stage changes one step prior to the intended step.

Yeah seems you may have found a bug there, will look into that one.

Update: Squeezed in a fix for v1.1, out “soon”.

1 Like

Ok great. I feel the Pulse Count Mod Lane will prove an invaluable tool with the goal of “freezing” the switch settings on one track in order to move to the other and start fresh. :blush:

You can set them to a fixed value per-track in the track menu, modulation would still apply, this might make it easier to separate, but as you add and modulate pulse counts, the alignment of your mod lanes may go off script a bit; can always sync the lengths with LEN>PULSES.

The Tracks are meant to work together by design, but it’s always interesting to see what people do to make them more independent. At a bare minimum, it make you more thoughtful of the ideas you put into making a sequence and what makes each one so special :slight_smile:.

I’ve always found the discovery of what is happening on track 2 to be so awesome. Get a groove on Track one, and there is a variation waiting to be found on track 2. Track Out Swap becomes really fun in this scenario as you don’t need another voice to discover it.

I haven’t used Mx in this way yet really but I can totally see where you’re coming from! I’ll definitely give it a try soon. :blush:

I have a feeling you guys are close to releasing a new firmware, and I wanted to make one more suggestion: different colored lights for save and load (probably keep red for save). One time I was in save when I thought I was in load and I accidentally saved over a preexisting preset thinking I was simply activating it. Also, having Mx stay in “Load” after loading a preset is brilliant for its use performing live, but would it be counterintuitive if it “exited” save mode after every time you save to one preset? (The way it is now allows you to easily save the same preset to more than one slot but not sure how valuable that is.) This would also cut down on potential mistakes saving incorrectly to the wrong slot. But different-colored LEDs for load would help a ton.

EDIT: Now realizing each bank is a different color…not sure how I would deal with that!

1 Like

I’ve accidentally saved over patterns before! It is easy to get mixed up in the heat of the moment.

Maybe the stage LEDs could flash when you are in save mode. Maybe also it could auto-exit save mode once you make a save. 99% of the time I only want to do one save at a time, unless i’m trying to re-arrange the order of the saves in a bank to correspond to a progression in a performance.

Generally though, I can’t think of much of a reason that I’d want to stay in save mode, whereas load mode is something I use while performing to queue parts up.

1 Like

Yeah. The only time I have found staying in Save mode being helpful was one time where I knew I wanted to take my basic preset and make changes to it in two new separate presets, so I just pressed the buttons for those two new preset slots consecutively. But I’m pretty sure I’d rather have the failsafe of not saving over something accidentally by having it exit Save mode after a single save.

I’m struggling a little making good musical transpositions of Metropolix using Tete and Tetrapad.

Currently, i have a sequence running on Metropolix in D Pentatonic, I’ve set Tete to Notes mode and set the scale on Tete to Pentatonic too, and I’ve got one of the note outs from Tetrapad going into the X in on Metropolix and X is set to ROOT to transpose the pattern.

I’m not getting very musical results, and thought there might be a better way to do this.

Intellijel, what would you recommend for settings on Metropolix and Tete to do this so it’s still sounds harmonically correct when it changes.

Would it be better to config X to one of the Pitch options instead of ROOT? Or using a different mode on Tete?

Some ideas would be very welcome here.