1U modules wishlist

A really handy thing to have in 1U would be a USB hub, with a mix of external and internal ports.

It would use the existing Type-B port on cases as “upstream”.

3 or 4 ports would be exposed on the front panel, for use with external devices.

Additional ports would be exposed as internal headers, compatible with existing devices like the MIDI 1U.

The panel also includes a jack for supplying 5V power to the USB ports.

1 Like

I would like a buffered version of the switched mult

3 Likes

I’d like a 4:1 mixer, with the output normalled into a 1:4 buff mult as a single module

Maybe not the answer you’re looking for, but can’t this essentially be accomplished with either Duatt or Quadratt?

2 Likes

Oh for sure I just use those with other sources as attenus. I feel like a dedicated in/out 5v adder would rule.

1 Like

I dig. How about 2 slightly different channels of 5 outs (plus 5!).

v1

Edit: collapsed v1 detail and added v2, with the CH2 rectify jacks are replaced with trig functions.

10 Likes

Ummmmmm YES PLEASE!!! Exactly!

3 Likes

I’d really like a Tête to place in the 1U row above the Tetrapad :grinning:

Also, a CV sequencer.

2 Likes

Another idea: something like the mic section of Arbhar, or at least a super-compact mic preamp with an electret mic under the hood.

3 Likes

CV → Midi that would connect via the same expansion slot as the new 1u Midi → CVx expanders.
This would allow you to use the intellijel MIDI → CV AND a CV → midi module via the intellijel case midi jacks/usb.

There’s plenty of envelope followers out there, and I believe even some 1U ones from other manufacturers. What I don’t see, but would love to, is an envelope follower that also outputs v/oct pitch

Would you expect it to actually analyze the incoming audio and thru some form of pitch detection provide a v/oct signal that actually follows the correct pitch of said audio? Would it be limited to monophonic signals? (I guess the output would be, but the input might not be)
You’d need a pretty speedy chip.
This sounds awesome and really hard to make.

1 Like

The ms20 has some form of pitch tracking right? If you don’t mind about it being super accurate I think extracting the loudest fundamental and outputting a v/Oct corresponding to the frequency is actually “fairly” straight forward and even possible with just analog components. If you want something a bit more clever then yea you’ll probs want some digital analyzers etc!! Could be cool!

1 Like

Please count me as a requestor for this as well. Noise Tools is such an elegant collection of essential tools that isn’t available anywhere else in a single 3u module, at least that I know of. The closest I can find are SSF/WMD Modbox (w/no slew and only triangle waves, not pulse) and the Doepfer A-184-1, with a ring mod en lieu of a clock.

I also understand that this would be a relatively boring module, compared to (e.g.) Quadrax or Planar2, so it might not be a sales blockbuster, and thus might not qualify for the necessary development priority/resources. But man, I really want one. It would be a killer nerve-center for this small system I’m putting together.

3 Likes

Wondering if this person is offering 3U faceplates:
Other/unknown Noise Tools 3U - Eurorack Module on ModularGrid

1 Like

Very interesting, thanks for this. I was under the impression that the Noise Tools 1U was too wide to fit in a 3U space, but I wonder if I got confused and measured the Steppy 1U or something else.

I may have to cook up one of those faceplates myself. Similarly, I encourage Intellijel to offer 3U faceplates for this module, as it seems like an easy and affordable way to make it available to a broader audience.

1 Like

I’d love to see a 3u noise tools! With a bit more space, one feature that could be cool to add is a Bernoulli gate in place of the random pulse function. Clock out would be normalled to a gate input for a Bernoulli gate, and an additional knob for probability, and then would continue through the normalled signal flow like normal. That way the probability, as well as max speed, of the random triggers could be adjusted.

1 Like

Have you looked at the back of an Intellijel module as compared to, say, one by Doepfer? Components are super tiny on Intellijel stuff. A chip that picks out the loudest frequency wouldn’t be all that hard, when you compare it with some of the things other modules, like the quadrax, can do.

Would you be conflating this with the discussion about a scales 1u?

What is a Bernoulli gate?