1U modules wishlist

According to Mutable Instruments:

A Bernoulli gate takes a logic signal (trigger or gate) as an input, and routes it to either of its two outputs according to a random coin toss.

1 Like

If that is a MI modular term (vs a generic Math/Eng term), good news in my opinion because a better name could be found. (Something that conveys it’s a set of out jacks rather than one.) As an intellijel product it should probably also feature a button to press through various distributions including Bernoulli. Starts to sound like a Plog alter-ego!

2 Likes

It’s just a probability formula, applied to a synth function. Similar to how MN refer to Rene as a Cartesian sequencer

2 Likes

Exactly… That does not say “Bernoulli gate” anywhere and I just find that term improvable. It’s a small detail that comes from how I normally think of a gate as one jack. So a channel on Branches to me is actually a Bernoulli gate (out A) with its inverse along side (out B). Shorthand can be a good thing …as in the analogy of Rene. It is a good analogy. Maybe what I was thinking earlier would not improve anything :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Could be, but I was probably just unclear. I thought I had measured out the Noise Tools 1U and concluded that it was too wide to fit in a 3U space, but it’s shy by about 4HP, so it should fit fine. Instead, I’m wondering if I got confused by a different module I measured, like Quadratt or Steppy 1U, which are both several HP wider.

I just drafted up a panel to get a Noise Tools 1U to fit in a 3U space. I still need to place the holes for the two switches, and I’m not sure the size and placement of some of the holes are as good as they can be, so I’ll wait for the arrival of my actual Noise Tools before putting some of the finishing touches on it.

In mocking this up, it became clear that this module’s horizontal design doesn’t result in the same clean flow and layout that are standard in Intellijel’s 3U modules, but I’ll be happy to have it in my rack anyway. Also, “Noise Tools” didn’t fit in the top row using the standard font and type size, so I labeled it “uNoise” just for fun.

2 Likes

Looks super clean. What program are you using for layout?

To set it up as an actual panel, I’m using Front Panel Designer (the application for tooling up panels for creation by Front Panel Express). The drill holes and panel dimensions you see here are from FPD. For the graphic layout itself (i.e., the text, arrows and other black markings), it’s just Photoshop. I set up the panel via FPD and then dropped the layout image on top of it. It works pretty slick.

2 Likes

Thanks again for this great suggestion. My uNoise 3U is open for business. I’m totally delighted.

9 Likes

Would love a 1u GX or QX. Maybe only a total of 4 outputs to make it smaller.

2 Likes

Wonderful!

I’d love to have a reversed panel for MIDI 1U. I’m currently running the module flipped upside down - so the clock/run jacks are on the left side. Less cable clutter since typically a MIDI master clock is a semi-permanent connection. The old MIDI 1U was a much better arrangement, although a poor use of HP.
In my custom studio case, I came up with a tidy way partially hide these semi-permanent connections - I run the Clock and Run connection from MIDI 1U around the left side to the back of the console, where I have a 1U mult mounted, which distributes Clock and Run back to the front, all with Tendrils cables, to USTA, Tête, Pamela, Krait, and Magneto. Neat and Tidy. I always wished that master clock and run would have been designed into the 16-pin power spec Doepfer came up with (and Euro manufactures actually used it)… hindsight’s 20/20.

2 Likes

I feel the wish. My RH-side FSR 1u lives upside down.

With your colour coded jack-nuts system, and MIDI 1u being a semi-permanently patched type of module, could you run it blank (reversed panel)? (i don’t actually know if it is perfectly symmetrical, I don’t own one).

1 Like

Yup! That’s what I did… Still… I wish it had the labels.

2 Likes

You might be able to use the CVx for the MIDI 1u.

I bought the MIDI 1U and the CVx when each of them first came out… brilliant system.
I’m considering pulling the buffered mult out (pictured above) and adding another CVx, so I can have the one primary comprehensive voice (pitch, mod, velocity, CC, gate, trigger) on MIDI 1U and expand from 8 to 16 MIDI-CV signals coming from Ableton. I highly prefer what Intellijel has done to what I had before - ExpertSleepers FH-2. They are pretty much on par for functionality - but the MIDI 1U takes up none of the valuable 3U real estate, and the Intellijel configuration app is so much cleaner and easier to use.
One really cool way to set up CVx, is as 8 triggers, and then use Ableton’s Drum Rack to trigger them. It’s like having a Steppy… and with Push2, you basically have an amazing 8-channel drum sequencer in 14HP of Euro and the amazing step sequencer interface on Push2.

3 Likes

Yup. Also cool to use CVx a running clock divider/ multiplier, which I have mine defaulted to, when not doing poly patches.

1 Like

Not sure if this is doable but I would love to be able to tap into my Intellijel case’s power to feed power to a 4ms pod. I know it would have an impact on the overall case power draw, but I envision it more as a way to easily expand your HP for a one-off module that you don’t want to put in the big case…like audio effects and or mixing. Thinkin like something that is big but maybe doesn’t draw a ton of juice. Would that be relatively small in a 1u tile? Just a barrel out that connects to the bus?

4ms Pods have a power-through connector, and I believe they use the same barrel size as the DC input on Intellijel cases. All you should need is a Pod bridging cable and a beefy enough power brick.

I say this without looking at the exact specifications, so I advise confirming before plugging things in blindly.

1 Like

LOL I feel like an idiot for not considering this workaround! I’ll have to check and compare the power specs but thank you!

2 Likes

Not a problem, I’m happy to help, and I hope it works out for you.