Updated 104 4U Case

Heya Intellijel fam!

Curious if there’s any plans for an updated 104 4U case. One that might possibly have a similar vibe to the 7U (stealth/original with audio and midi jacks out of the top).

Been exploring the world of quad setups and thinking this could be a great option to use as a “mixer style” case. Tried out a smaller mixer skiff for a recent Modular On The Spot and couldn’t help but think this possibly 4U option would rule the school.

Possibly with the same style connectors and legs as the 7U jams. Connecting two 4Us for a smaller setup or even adding a 4U to the top of one of the 7Us.

Just riff’n here & putting this out into the universe. Keep up the great work Intellijel!

:heart::boom:

1 Like

I feel like I should let Danjel answer this one. But if we were to do a new 4U 104HP case, other than built in audio and MIDI jacks what would you like to see? A pair of buffered mults like in the new 62HP Palette? 104HP gives more room to do built in utilities.

1 Like

5U case with two rows of 1U… and get cracking producing a broader range of 1U utility modules. 3rd parties are starting to buy into the Intellijel 1U format. I just saw an Ornaments and Crime in 1U from Plum Audio specifically for Intellijel.

The buffered mults on the new Palette cases are stellar. Would certainly be a very welcome option for a new 104 4U case.
Possibly a tempo knob & trigger output to send clock to the system though as I type this I think that would be a really handy small format 1U.
Similar to the noise tools though just the clock element.
I remember there was a brainstorm in another thread about how boss a “Clock Tools” 1U or even 3U would be.
Anywhooooooo the buff mults for sure! :slight_smile:

+1 on a new type of 4U case with a lid or the already existing bag.
I bought an Intellijel 7U thinking I could join them with the “now discontinued” 4U with the plates in the future, my bad I didn’t checked it out beforehand. Now I have a couple of modules waiting around, e.g. a Rainmaker, without a case! :scream: - Not sure if I should buy some type of non-Intellijel 4U.

Being able to attach the 4U 104hp to 7U 104hp would make so much sense. One could make a big (4U+7U) performance system for home and for the “big gigs” or rearrange and make one small 4U performance case to travel with.
Like, 2 types of Instruments.

btw, what are those “Intellijel Designs - 4U Joiner Plates (Set)” ? Just just found out about them. I mean can one use them to join 7U & 4U?
https://www.schneidersladen.de/de/intellijel-designs-4u-joiner.html

2 Likes

Yeah totally!
I keep moving toward having a 4U style case for mixers/fx/outputs/Planar and I think a 4U that could connect to the 7Us would slay!
Basically just an update to the previous Intellijel 4U (which rules!).

Cheers

The 4U Joiner plates are to attach multiples of the old style 4U cases together. Unfortunately we don’t have an option to attach 4U and 7U cases at this point.

1 Like

@ScottMFR is there a way to join different hp in a stable manner?

You mean to join an 84HP case to a 104HP case? No, we don’t have a solution for that right now.

Oh. Wouldn’t be too hard, supposing that they weren’t different heights, just make the brackets take two L bends inwards.

104 4U would be the ideal case for me, I think. As for the .5 row, I think having the same as the Palette, but with an added 2 jacks like the 7U performance case. I don’t know if I’d like having knobs on the .5 row. Maybe a version of the uMidi, like how the Cre8 Audio Niftycase handles it.

If this is a possibility I’ll definitely wait for it instead of getting a 62 Palette

Get feeling is that people would buy an updated 104 4U case (with or without the handy .5U utilities on the Palette). Got me a Make Noise skiff recently for less used (more experimental??!?) modules and I feel like I’d happily swap it out for an updated Intellijel 104 4U. The 1U modules are just too fresh! :sunglasses: :ocean:

I second this. Making a 4u on the same frame and hardware system as the 7u Performance case would be a most welcome upgrade, I literally would preorder one today with or without any of the handy additions on the palette case. I have a space limitation in my studio and can not join two 7u’s together however a 7u and a 4u would fit perfectly and be a most elegant solution.

Surely I understand the design decisions in keeping the palette slim and portable especially so at 62hp, but once you get to 104hp its already physically large regarding portability, so it makes some logical sense to jump to the performance frame be able to attach it to a 7u performance case.

1 Like

I second the idea of a 5u 104hp case! I think a 3u case w/ a 1u row on the top of the case and a 1u row on the bottom of the case would be such a great setup. I’m imagining all of the creative workflow options that would present. And as Intellijel has been steadily adding to their 1u module lineup along with the increased pace of new 3rd party 1u Intellijel format modules being released, I can’t see how a case like that would not be successful. Being able to create a minimal (but still very robust) live performance eurorack case was one of the primary reasons I bought a 104hp Intellijel Case 4u. I also bought it because it fit my budget at the time w/ the plan to buy the 4u joiner plates to eventually add another 4u 104hp case to my setup. I was and still am rather bummed that I no longer have that option as I almost never see a used 104hp Case 4u come up for sale. I’d still really rather have a “Case 8u” than sell my Case 4u to buy a 7u Intellijel case… 2 rows of 1u is just super appealing to me.

2 Likes

still now news on 4U cases? I really would like to get one and I see no alternatives.

Patience :slight_smile: There is something to announce soon… depends how fast the boat moves :wink:

10 Likes

Looking forward to putting a new MIDI 1U in my palette wink wink

Yep, I also noticed the 104 reference in a certain new user manual.

Which means it’s probably too late for suggestions on .5 row utilities. But just in case, here is my wishlist.

1. Keep the existing utilities, they are definitely the most important.
  2. Except to go with at least two MIDI jacks to accommodate in+out. Especially if one of the jacks can be used by other modules like Pam in the same way the 7u case jacks can. The mini jacks are fine with me because I use my palette upside down, so the mini jack adapter gets the cable out of my way a little better.
  3. Built-in Octalink. I use these all the time (they’re fantastic) and it also promotes multi-case setups. It’s a driver for future business.
  4. Built in 3-input unity mixer
  5. It would be awesome to have a power option that could get the cable out of the way for the many of us who use these upside down. (The 1u row is much better placed below modules, to avoid cables blocking access to knobs.) Perhaps a right angle plug on the power adapter? Or dual power entry jacks, one front facing and a second side facing?
1 Like

Unless they want as many MIDI jacks as the 7U case, I think MIDI thru might be more useful to a wider audience. Or perhaps a jack that can be set as out or thru.

Octalink would have to be in a single row, which would eat up the majority of the extra 42HP over the original Palette. I’d rather see 3.5mm jacks (or perhaps a stereo jack) to complement the 1/4" jacks, unity mixer, USB power, maybe some other simple utilities like rectifiers, inverters, etc., or even power status LEDs. Personally, I have zero interest in Octalink, but I am interested in a larger Palette, especially if it’s also at least 5-10mm deeper (which is the 62HP Palette’s big flaw). Octalink would be a massive waste of space for me.

Your Palette’s power adapter didn’t come with a right angle plug? Mine did.

This boat is moving slower than Nevada’s polling results :sunglasses: