Steppy feature request

Anything really. You could send it through a quantizer to create melodies, or without a quantizer if you want weird atonal stuff. Or you could do some stepped filter cutoff sequencing.

Hi, I’m not sure if this has been requested or not but is there any way possible to make it so it can save 16 patterns? That’s about the only feature request I can think of.

It’s been requested, but would be hard with current the UI. I’d need to check, but with all the per-step settings added in the last rev, doubling the save slots may push beyond the limits of the flash memory on that unit.

That’s understandable. I really love this module. I use it in every patch. It’s way easy to throw up any groove I want on the fly anyway. I really can’t wait to be able to get a plog too. I think it would be a great combo. I currently have no logic modules so it would be the next logical addition…

3 Likes

A repeat per step option would be amazing. I don’t think this is possible currently, right?

Apologies in advance if this was mentioned or explored already.

I’m not sure I understand. Would this be different from the Ratchet per step?

Oh, no I actually didn’t know about the ratcheting! Thank you :slight_smile:

My request:
A convenient feature for tying steps together for longer gate times would be if you could press and hold a step and then select a subsequent step and create a gate/tie that spans over the interim steps. Then you don’t have to go and select and adjust all the individual gate times of all the interim steps.

That’s a nice feature idea, but it wouldn’t work with the UI because right now a long press assigns the last step in a pattern. It might work if the steps to be tied were pressed simultaneously.

I should also mention that you would only have to adjust the individual gate times of the interim steps if you’re using per-step gate editing. If you set the gate length to max for the track then any adjacent gates will be tied. It might be easier to set your ties this way, then per-step edit the gates that you want to be shorter.

1 Like

Would it be possible to add the ability to multiply the clock? Ratcheting is definitely an amazing feature but I still run into those moments where I wish I could multiply the clock. Just wanted to put my vote in for that if it’s possible.

1 Like

Perhaps this is already implemented but I didn’t see it discussed or in the manual but if a step is on and gate length is 100% than the next step’s probability will follow that of the previous step. This would be cool. Again sorry if this is already implemented, I’m still learning steppy.

1 Like

Feature request: more multiple-of-3 clock divisors

RUN mode is almost perfect for DIN-sync-ing Steppy except for the lack of clock divisors like 6, 12, or 24.

To fit this into the existing 8 LEDs, the UI could be something like:

• short-press /3 and /2, /4, etc together to select the corresponding divisor (/6, /12, and so on) for the selected track
  • long-press /3 and /2, /4, etc together to select the divisor for all tracks
  • when more than one is lit, short-pressing one lit divisor button will deselect it for the selected track
    • for instance, if /3 and /4 are lit and /4 is pressed, the divisor becomes /3
  • long-pressing one lit divisor button will deselect it for all tracks
    • UNSURE: what should happen if not all of the tracks have that divisor currently selected?

Not specified in the above is what happens if an unlit divisor is pressed while multiple divisors are selected. An example:

• /2 and /3 are selected
  • /4 is short-pressed
  • several things that could happen
    • add /4 to the selection, making a total of /24
    • unselect both /2 and /3, select only /4.
    • unselect /2 and add /4, resulting in /12

The last option there treats /3 like a button that latches separately from all the powers of 2. That would provide a broad selection of options

• /1
  • /2
  • /3 (1 + 3)
  • /4
  • /6 (2 + 3)
  • /8
  • /12 (4 + 3)
  • /16
  • /24 (8 + 3)
  • /32
  • /48 (16 + 3)
  • /64
  • /96 (32 + 3)
  • /192 (64 + 3)
3 Likes

I second @al2o3cr 's idea. I have an Elektron Model: Cycles that outputs analog 24ppq clock out of its MIDI 1/8th jack (for real! Weird surprise.)

But it ONLY does 24ppq. I would like to run that into Steppy’s clock-in, and have it treat 24ppq as 1 pulse, or 2, or etc.

Also SUPER second all the suggestions for clock mult. This was definitely a wait-what moment for me with the module, I don’t know why I assumed that it would do clock mult.

I’m not sure if this is currently possible to do with the latest firmware or if someone has already suggested this, but I would love a feature for Steppy to basically derive it’s start/stop from the clock input by detecting whether there’s an incoming signal or not. The ALM Busy Circuits PAMELA’s New Workout is able to do this, which I love because that frees up one more output on my MIDI to CV module.

To clarify in case I’m not being specific enough, I’m talking about a setting that allows the Steppy to start/stop running by detecting a signal at the clock input. I understand that this would probably mean it will have to stop on the following step, so it couldn’t for instance stop running in the middle of the current step or in between two steps. I’m just assuming that the BPM is determined by the distance between two consecutive rising clock signals, hence the reason it would need to wait for that set amount of time to see if another clock signal is coming or not to determine whether it will start/stop the sequence.

Again, I’m not sure if this is a feature already or if this is something really desired by others, but if this can be implemented in the next firmware release I would be so grateful!

Steppy offers this feature already:
“Delayed load. When on the LOAD page, long-press the desired preset button to delay it from loading until the current pattern completes the cycle on Track 1”

I would love to see:
Delayed muting/Delayed unmuting when one of the 4 mute buttons are long-pressed.
Delayed un-latching of loopy mode when long-pressing a button.

This should be super easy to implement, as everything needed is in place already (IMHO)

1 Like