Steppy feature request

Added to the Feature Request list thanks!

One more request I thought of while playing around with Loopy mode today- a slightly different method of loop locking than what’s suggested above, requiring no submenus:

• While in Loopy, loop points latch/unlatch if you quick press steps instead of holding them.
  • Long holding would play a new loop overriding these latched loop points, but letting go would go back to the latched loop.
  • So priority goes to held loops first, then latched loops, then the original pattern.

Hope this explanation makes sense.

Yep, your description makes sense.

Having 2 levels of Loopy might be hard to convey. I’m definitely considering how to implement latched loopy, I’ll add your comments to the discussion. Thanks!

Holds and quick presses take time to detect and when you have a 120BPM clock, we only have 125ms between pulses, usually we would account 500ms to trigger a hold state, that’s a quarter note (4 steps).

None of this is to say it’s impossible, just requires a lot of thought and good timing to be intuitive.

Thanks again for the description

1 Like

Of Note—

Not sure if these have been suggested, but…

I’d like to see a lock / unlock feature on the looper mode, so that you can set those cool patterns you find while messing about in the loop mode, while then being able to continue hands-free. I think it’ll be a great feature for live-sets to initiate drops and stuff like that.

Another thing would be a clock multiplier.

-S

Maybe while in Clk Div mode if you press a button a second time it toggles into Multiplication instead of division and indicates it with a flashing LED?

This would be useful with slower clock sources.

4 Likes

Some great suggestions here! I do worry that too many changes on an already small surface could lead to some accidental changes live.
I love the simplicity (and the fact that I’ve never had to look at a manual!) on the surface of this module for punching in quick, basic ideas to get the ball rolling, then a few select ways of making things a bit more complex once said ball does get rolling. Would be sad (for me) to see things get too fussy and create the possibility of fat thumbed mistakes!

2 Likes

Hey i’m sorry if i revive this topic!
First post on this forum, as i bought a few new Intellijel 1u modules and 7u case!
But i would really love to know if there are serious chances the gate x step function will see the light!
I was pretty sure the function was x step and than … :face_with_monocle:
Please please!!

Hello, any news on gate length per step?

Sorry no, wrapping up some other projects right now. :slight_smile:

Is it a kind way of saying “sorry we checked it out but cannot do this due to module design”? :sweat_smile:
I’m really hoping you cold do something about it because Steppy 5v works greatly as modulations source!

Nope it’s do able, we are only 2 developers :slight_smile:

This is not what you’re looking for, but will get you some variation in gate length if you need it: If your clock source can change/modulate it’s pulse width, then you can set the gate length on a track to the first option (Follow Clock Width), and modulate the pulse width on your clock source.

hi guys, you rock…
i recently got steppy 1u and what would be super awesome if there would be gate lenghts per step instead of tracks… very handy if u work with lowpassgates and want to variate the decay lenghts of the pattern notes… thats all :wink: beside from that, im in love with your modules

1 Like
1 Like

I would like to second any requests for the ability to multiply as well as divide the clock. This would be amazingly beneficial to me for sure. I’m loving this module. I’m now running my Tempest into the system using it as the clock for the steppy and it’s crazy. Drum n bass madness.

Not sure if you have tried this already, but you can kind of use ratcheting to work as a clock multiplier. If you set a track to a single step and set it to ratchet 2x per step it’s basically functioning as a clock doubler. Of course you can’t really program a pattern on that track if you’re doing that.

2 Likes

That’s a great idea. I’ll try that. It would probably work well for hats.

Just wanted to follow up and say I got more into program the per step ratcheting and it’s been exactly what I needed. Also, thanks for making me a New User of the month! Picked up a Quadratt which has been extremely useful as well. Hope you’ve all been fairing the crisis ok.

1 Like

Nice! Glad to hear it Ornette. Quadratt pairs really nicely with Steppy. Actually sending the four gates from Steppy to each channel input on Quadratt lets you use it as a weird voltage sequencer if you want!

We’re doing OK here, just taking it one day at a time. Hope you and your family are healthy and safe.

2 Likes

I’ll have to try that with my next patch. I’m not exactly sure what to apply a voltage sequencer to but I’ll experiment. Thanks for the tip!