Module Request: Metropolix CVx

Hi there,

I really would wish for a CVx module for the Metropolix to have CV outputs for all the mod lanes.
What do you people think? Do you also all the time wish for an output C and D?

All the best
Arne (hoping that it’s okay to post something like this)

8 Likes

Instead of another expander to accommodate such a feature, I’d just like this suggestion to be another option on the Gx expander. Also with maybe Combo options of 4 gates and 4 CV for four mod lanes.

1 Like

Yes, this would be fantastic. But, as far as I know, the Gx is technically limited to gates. So this would be a Gx v2.
I would love to use it.

1 Like

A gate is just a voltage signal the same as CV. So I’m not sure why they would build the hardware to have that restriction.

1 Like

A gate is a voltage signal with two levels - the circuitry to output that is much simpler than a full digital-to-analog converter like used in the CVx.

Based on the photo of the back of the Gx from the Schneidersladen listing, the chip used is the TCA6408A I2C I/O expander which provides 8 digital (on/off) outputs.

4 Likes

Bummer. Thanks for the info.

I was just going to post the exact same question!!!
I have a Qx, and find I have no use for all those gate options when I connect it to Metropolix. But using one of my CVx modules to add 8 more outputs for CV from the Mod lanes, or some selectable gate choices would be fantastic.

2 Likes

I’m not gonna lie: a CVx-like expander for Metropolix, giving it Voltage Block-like superpowers, would be awesome.

3 Likes

It is possible to extend the Metropolix with the MIDI 1U and then even with a CVx using USB MIDI.
I showed what I did here:

You could do this with something like an FH2 as well pretty easily, not the cheapest solution, would definitely love an official expander!

Another thing i’ve done that I found really powerful was to set the GX to the mode that outputs per-stage gates, then plug in the standard gate output for the track to the clock/cv of voltage block, and the stage 1 gate from the expander into the voltage block reset jack. This way you get 8 channels of per-stage modulation. You can’t link it to presets of course, but if you’re quick you can save/load voltage block presets at the same time.

Would be cool to see some kind of official “metropolix link” mode between metropolix and tetrapad that acted the same way, except did include preset loading.