Metropolix and Gx

Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

Ok this seems to be getting to the heart of it. So the moment you copy the pitch settings of track 1 to the pitch edit lane, they are locked in, and then you can go to track 2 and start sequencing with sliders and the movements won’t affect track 1, right?

So every time you want to jump over to a different track and play with the pitch, you just need to save the pitches of the current track to the pitch edit lane…I think I got it…?

The whole sequencer is built around the western 12-tone system, especially the accumulators, transpose, etc. so I think it would be a ton of work to deviate from that. Also none of us really knows quite enough of the theory behind alternate tuning systems to really ensure a good implementation.

2 Likes

Beyond stoked here. Word up Intellijel fam!

2 Likes

So nice work, thanks, that s definitly my future sequencer
:sparkles::skull_and_crossbones::+1::sparkles:

Really excited for mine to arrive!

I’ve been looking over the manual a bit and it sparked a few questions/ideas.

Wondered if at some point you might add the ability to add custom user scales. Not so much scales actually, but I’m thinking more about extended/altered chords. Combined with the scale shortcut functions, you could do some really interesting playable chord progressions (i get that using transpose, you could already get diatonic 7th chords within a scale).

Better yet, it would be cool if you could somehow modulate between scales/chords with mod lanes or external inputs!

Yes we have definitely thought about this, it just didn’t make the cut for the initial firmware as there were a lot of other higher priority features.

2 Likes

I like the idea of having things like maj/min7 chords and other 4 note “scales”. These would play well with accumulators and mod lanes.
Basically arpeggiator notes.

5 Likes

Gonna just leave this request here…
Midi Out expander for Metropolix.
Insert the Fingers Crossed emoji x100

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I’d also love something like this.

Using Metropolix to sequence soft synths inside Ableton would be an absolute dream come true.

2 Likes

A simple way to allow some different tunings might be to include detuning individual notes in a scale by X Cents. If there’s plans for custom scales in the works, it could be nice to see a way around equal temperament, and this way wouldn’t require leaving the 12-note system.

Although personally I’d love see Scala files be implemented more often in eurorack world. Full nerd here.

Scale, microtunings, and different tunings systems in general have always fascinated me but honestly I don’t really have the knowledge in those fields to be able to implement anything. Detuning individual notes is probably something that could happen though (and I’ve thought about adding this to the MIDI 1U as well via MIDI tuning standard…)

2 Likes

Just got mine in and it’s a thing of beauty for sure. I’m just noticing the most minor of minor quirks that doesn’t have any functional impact, but I figure I might as well mention.

When I hit Run the LED for the button comes on fine, and the button press is perfect, starts every time. However sometimes it sorta flickers up to full strength in a split second, a bit like a fluorescent bulb, pretty inconsistently. Is that normal behavior?

It’s currently in a palette case, default power brick.

Admittedly I checked out Loopop’s video again and I noticed it there too, easier to see if you slow down the video. Just a bit odd, nothing big.

Are you perhaps talking about the fade up and down it does when you have pressed RUN and it is waiting for an external clock pulse?

2 Likes

ohhh, Kamil, don’t tease me! haha. Adding the ability to detune individual notes on the midi 1U would be amazing. :slight_smile:

There’s an incredible book on microtonality and tuning theory by the composer Kyle Gann called " The Arithmetic of Listening". It’s a really accessible and enjoyable read! I recommend it if this is a curiosity.

3 Likes

Thanks for the book recommendation! I will definitely have to give this a read

1 Like

It’s possible that’s what’s happening, but I’ve got nothing going into the Clock In

You can actually see it decently clearly at 1:14 and 11:40 in the Loopop video, very quick but it looks like it hits some middle brightness before turning on full. Happens very irregularly though.

I recently got really interested in tuning through a talk someone gave about the history. I’ll keep this book in mind, thanks!

I watched the Loopop video…maybe it’s more noticeable in real life but I agree with you, and would take it a few steps further, that seems like a minor minor minor minor minor…minor minor minor quirk. :laughing: I decided to forego slowing down the video. I’m pretty analytical myself and it seems like you are giving me a run for the money haha.

1 Like

Oh yeah don’t worry I know, trust me I wish I didn’t notice that kinda junk. It’s the most nothing nothing thing ever, but I know how weird electronics can be as well, small things can be helpful in diagnosing other weird behavior. Thankfully I’ve noticed none of that, and it’s a fantastic creation from you guys at Intellijel

1 Like