Metropolix and Gx

Hey y’all,
Apologies if this is already mentioned above but there are too many comments to go through as I have yet to get this sequencer but goodness it seems awesome! You got me at skip invert!

Anyway, I think it would be sweet to have a small expander with 4 or 8 sliders or knobs for complete control over that second track and the ability for that second track to effect root on the first. Basically thinking bass line to add to the lead that’s equally as jammable as the first track.

I love that there can be some intertwined sequences, just thinking about peeps with smaller performance cases that also want the power of this sequencer. Would be sweet to have a one stop shop for melody sequencing especially given the built in quantizer.

Another thought which could be a whole different sequencer would be one that allows you to split the 8 sliders to two concurrently running tracks. You’d use the encoder to dial in where the split would be (5 stages on the left, 3 on the right for example) and have the buttons at the bottom separated by two different colours. This would then override the second track to the split track so you’d essentially have a 5 stage metropolix next to a 3 stage one. Just feel like that could be so awesome and again would bring jammability to two tracks via the sliders and pulses.

Ideas any good ya think?

Regardless, gonna figure out when yo pick this one up. I have a small setup right now but this jives with me so much. Nice touch on the ratchets on stages with more pulse count than ratchets creating slower than clock pulses like a 3 pulse in a 4 pulse time. So good!

2 Likes

The different starting positions and playback speeds create a wonderful harmony.
You have to play for a long time to realize how good the workflow is.
The art is in the limitations.
Metropolix is a great sequencer.

3 Likes

FYI this can be achieved quite easily right now. All you need to do is set length = to 5 on Track 1, Length = to 3 on Track 2, then offset on Track 2 = to 5. I guess it wouldn’t hurt in theory if it were a little easier to get there though.

Welcome, by the way. :slightly_smiling_face:

Always interested in seeing ways that people use two tracks, let us know if you have any examples. :blush:

I think the success rate with the “blind switchover” approach depends on certain factors including the style of music one is interested in making. And I agree, I a big reason I love Metropolix (and similar gear) is because of the limitations. Less is definitely more for me when it comes to being creative!

That’s awesome that you can do that in that way. Yeah a quicker way of getting there and just controlling 1 split parameters would be pretty sweet. I’ll have to look at the manual for the functionality you’re talking about to fully get it. Wow there’s so much in this sequencer but it’s so playable right out the box. I’m super impressed!

1 Like

Feb 11, 11am PST

The 1.4 update brings USB MIDI and some other new tricks to the Intellijel Metropolix. We’ll explore these features and more in Ableton Live 11.

The Metropolix 1.4 update will be released on Feb 11 following the stream.

11 Likes

what?! how … what? (this is very exciting to me as someone already using Metropolix & Ableton)

2 Likes

OMG.
USB midi! - how what where - are we going to use the USB port below the unit for this?
I love this device

1 Like

Wow, this looks really exciting! Will this be Ableton exclusive or could it be integrated with other DAWs as well?

I have Ableton but I much prefer Bitwig because of it’s integrated modular approach to making music.

wow! how? via an expander?

Google outed us, so here’s a link to the USB Extender.

It’s a simple passive extender, it connects on the rear of the Extender to the rear of the Metropolix with an included double-ended Micro-to-Right-Angle-Micro USB Cable.

This will be the official way of bringing that connection to the top panel, but it’s really just a fancy extension cable. If you have the means of running a cable out of your case (in a safe manner) then you can also do that.

Quick FAQ (in case you want to make an informed purchase before the stream) —

• Metropolix does not require or connect directly to MIDI 1U or uMIDI or case jacks. We did not want to force any users to purchase another module/case for this to work.
  • Metropolix MIDI is USB-MIDI Only. It does not provide TRS/DIN MIDI support.
  • Metropolix connects as a Class Compliant MIDI device to ANY USB HOST (Norns, MPC, PC/Mac/iPad/iPhone etc)

Really stoked to share more!

9 Likes

Wow! I can’t wait to see what this will allow us to do.

1 Like

awesome! Will these 3U ones be available at US dealers soon? I want to go ahead and order, but the shipping is more than half what the module costs to get to where I am if I order direct from your site.

Yes, they are shipping to dealers already. This is why it was unlisted on the site. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

excellent, really looking forward to this! My mind is already running through all that will be possible with MIDI implementation :+1:

1 Like

I was literally researching how I could wire the USB port on the palette into my Ornament and Crime so I could use its USB-to MIDI app.

Then you drop this. :slight_smile: 3U will connect to my Metropolix in Performance case and 1U can connect to my O_C in my Palette.

Stoked to hear about the new features!

Just a heads up, it’s just a single module with 2 face plates, you could only use 1 at a time.

2 Likes

Ahh ok. I see the design now. Still, was looking for something like this for the O_C. Excited to hear about the USB MIDI features in the new firmware :slight_smile: The module would get used in one of those scenarios.

Oh wow, this is great! Very cool design with the dual faceplate!

I tend to use the TRK2 as a hidden sound.
It can also be used like a delay sound.
The two tracks share the same settings as much as possible, and gradually adjust the differences.
Metropolix has a lot of features, but I think it is best used in a simple way.

4 Likes