Metropolix and Gx

@ScottMFR

“the ability to maybe press a button to switch to track 2 and suddenly you can move the sliders and switches without worrying about it changing what you just sequenced on track 1”

This is exactly what I’m talking about.
I’m just surprised it’s not an option currently, given it’s the most obvious way for doing things.

So I guess I was wondering if this would be added in a future firmware update or whether there’s a solid design philosophy behind why this isn’t possible.

It seems kinda weird to only have one track jammable with the faders and switches by default

3 Likes

Hi, After better understanding the manual, I think the best thing would be the ability to assign any of the mod lanes (CV or gate) to an arbitrary i2c address/port. Specifically, I would like to modulate an ER-301, but I’m sure that transmission of CV/gate values would be very useful to others, like Just Friends and Disting EX.

I thought this was strange as soon as I used it, definitely should be an option at least, at the moment its basically a metropolis with an extra menu based track.

1 Like

Get those USB cables ready.

2 Likes

excited!!!

1 Like

1.3 is out!

3 Likes

Is there a shortcut to randomized ALL the values of each steps for the accumulator? If not could I feature request if possible to implement.

1 Like

Randomize for stage parameter pages has been on the wish list for a while, just need to find the right UI and methods

2 Likes

When assigning ROOT to the a or b outputs i was hoping that it would reflect the current transposition if you are transposing within the scale diatonically with a pitch pre - through one of the control knobs or external cvs. this would allow the metropolix to sort of quantize external cv while also arpeggiating it. or just output another useful pitch cv for baselines that changes with diatonic and not just chromatic transposition if I’ve got my music theory terms straight?

@slowwild will be able to provide a better answer, but I think the reason is that P.Pre transpositions are not changing the root note of the scale, they’re just offsetting the melodic sequence. If you wanted your bassline to follow the Mod P.Pre progression you could assign the A/B output to that same Modlane, but you would have to make sure the bass voice was using the same scale and root.

With something like Scales, if you were set SHIFT to ROOT and feed that with the A output assigned to Root, then also use the P.Pre Modlane as your B Output, you could mix that Modlane progression with whatever signal you want to quantize to create your melody. That way the melody from Scales would follow the root note changes but also the Modlane progression. I’ll have to give that a try!

1 Like

1.3.1 Is out and it’s minor!

2 Likes

@slowwild - I was wondering if there is a plan to extend the range of signals that can be sent to the GX expander from the Metropolix - I’m thinking how much could be done if it were possible to send all eight of the mod lane’s values to the GX…

1 Like

The Gx hardware is only capable of sending gates/triggers. It does not have a DAC and can’t generate voltages other than the configured 5V On/Off gates.

Gx stands for Gate eXpander.

It might be fun to have some kind of logic output mode for Gx, but I’m not sure what kind of configuration of the 8 outputs would be most useful. You could use tracks 1&2 to derive AND, OR, XOR, Neither, with maybe a clock synched Neither as well? That’s only 5 outs, so maybe some flip flop toggle outputs based on track 1&2 then others based on longer clock divisions?

I’m throwing this out here to see if there’s any interest, excitement, or better ideas.

2 Likes

Could do some cool things there, the UI for configuration would need to be expanded a lot to account for anything more complex than what is there now.

Mine is locked in Transport mode for life, drives my whole system :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

maybe some kind of comparator functionality:
If TRK 1 pitch > TRK 2 pitch = a gate trigger on GX output 1;
if TRK 2 pitch > TRK 1 = a gate on GX OP2;
if TRK 1 = TRK 2 pitch = a gate on GX OP3;

…wondering if such a scenario would reproduce some of the functionality of the JA Compare 2 presented here:

2 Likes

Would be stellar to have a version of the Gx Transport that has both clock division AND multiplications :wink:
I also mostly use it as a transport for the whole system but have been experimenting with fast and slow clocks on other seqs and would be a really fun option.

1 Like

Suggestion: Allow overriding current behaviour (expander-wide Mode selection) so the mode can be set per-stage from existing options (and any future ones)

I thought I bought Gx for Stage Num mode combined with clk div/mult modules…but I too use almost exclusively the default “Transport” mode combined with logic operations. Therefore:

• “Scott mode”: This could be clutch in some patches for freeing up a logic module and/or hp.

• “powpow mode” This would actually overlap a lot with the results I add logic for (would free up space, hp)

• “badbass mode” oh gosh…yea , this vid is still on my mind too!

2 Likes

Following on from zilvar and powwow - giving users the option to select a mixture of gate sources (clock/transport/logic/comparator) would really enhance the utility of the GX. Perhaps also allowing mod lane gate sequences such as SKIP/MUTE or LOOPY states to run out via the GX would also give another opportunity for some of the Metropolix’s sequencer DNA to appear elsewhere in the rack.

2 Likes

Hi all,
I’m Alex and new to this forum :blush:

I posted this over at modwiggler but it didnt spark anything so I’m trying my luck here :open_mouth:

Now that we have sequenceable user scales - Wouldnt it be awesome if we could program the scales with a keyboard with cv out?

I imagine setting up a nice loop and then quickly trying out chords and listening for what works with the pattern.
Probably not something trivial to implement but I imagine it could be done using one of the inputs, and listening for held voltages ( kind of like mutable marbles does when programming a scale ) - only hopefully a bit more live, so its adding notes to the scale as soon as they are played, and if there is a longer pause it will interpret the next note as the root and start of a new scale.

While typing I’m realising your own Scales can also listen for notes and add them, so perhaps some of the code can be stolen? :pray:

Any chance this could be implemented?

1 Like