Metropolix and Gx

I upvote adding time travel please!

4 Likes

Could be nice to have just a plain old CV mod lane target that could be routed to the A or B outputs and wouldn’t actually modulate anything else. Kind of like the CV for each track, but it would be cool to be able to set an individual length, order, div etc. Found myself wanting this the other day.

1 Like

I have a master clock which both the Metropolix and other clock based modules run from. I hear you re: time travel - trying to figure out a way around this… the only thing I can think of is to delay the clock going into the Metropolix…?

Yeah if the other module is solely for the purpose of modulating the Metropolix, then delaying the Metropolix clock should give you what you need.

Can any other Metropolix users confirm this behavior? Whenever I have a clock division on track 1 and I try to switch between presets using queued loading, the switch happens prematurely. For example, if I have a clock division of 4 on track 1 with an 8-stage sequence, when the sequencer reaches the 8th stage, it doesn’t play the entire duration of the 8th (last) stage. In this case, the time duration of the last stage seems to get cut to 25% (since the division is 4). This is very consistent behavior on my end.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but you can already output the CV from each track, or any of the Mod lane CV to Outputs A+B. You don’t need to assign the Mod lanes to anything.

ALT+A or ALT+B

With no other modulation or external resets, LEN>Pulses=Auto, linear play order, and each stage’s Pulse Count switch set to 1, it will take 32 clock pulses to play through all 8 stages.

If your Queued Pulses is set to 32, then it should play the whole thing before loading the next sequence. Deviation in any of those would cause it to act differently.

With that said, we have some tweaks to Queued Loading, another Param, and a new Loading Action (and more!) that should add even more control to this coming in 1.3.

2 Likes

the CV from each track is tied to that track’s ORDER/LEN/DIV, etc. All the mod-lane targets actually effect some aspect of the sequence. So I guess the idea is being able to use a mod-lane with a sort of dummy modulation target that doesn’t effect either track, but lets you sequence a CV output with ORDER/LEN/DIV that is independent of either track.

You can set any of the Mod Lane assignments to “None” then output that CV based on that lane’s ORDER/LEN/DIV.

So you can assign 6 or 7 of them to internal params, and then output the 7th and 8th just to the A and B outputs.

Are you just looking for more mod lanes?

EDIT: By default, all mod lanes are not assigned to anything and have no effect.

ohh… i did not realize that a mod-lane assigned to None could still have CV values set and routed to A or B. Cool, thanks!

1 Like

You can even double up and have an external module follow your assigned internal modulation.

Really sorry to badger you about this but it is impossible for me to find a Queued Pulses count that will make my transitions between presets happen on-time when my clock division is anything other than 1. For my current patch, I have a total of 16 pulses (on the switches) over 5 stages and the clock division is 4. This should mean that a Queued Pulse count of 64 should do trick, and I’m sorry to say that it’s not even close. The closest I get is with a Queued Pulses count of 16 and even then the sequence resets early (with a count of 17 it’s a little late, and with a count of 64 it plays through 4 times and still resets early).

Here’s a link to a video file demonstrating the problem:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cshINAsZRM8TaR0qWepih7cmc46Ei0RV/view?usp=sharing

Again sorry to make a big deal out of this but as it is, presets are useless when my clock division is something other than 1 because they never come out on time.

Like we talked about, we’ll need to wait until 1.3 before we address anything here, as the options and handling have all changed.

Here’s the same setup, simple sequence. With Queued Pulses set to 64, as suggested.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13t8bam-KTOpsjqEBOrm1dFz70HAGPver/view

You should make sure to Reset your Sequencer when you toggle Run off or set the run button to act as Run/Stop (with does an automatic reset when you toggle), to ensure your pulse counter is reset properly. By default, it’s Run/Pause.

But like I said, there is updates and upgrades to the whole system in the next version, so sit tight.

Edit: Fixed Link/Sharing.

I forgot… what’s the release date for 1.3?

You didn’t forget :slight_smile:
We haven’t announced it :wink:

“When it’s done”

2 Likes

After I’ve created my Track 1, is there a way to compose a new Track 2 by using the sliders and switches?

I was attempting to do this yesterday and the only way currently seems to be by editing each step individually.

I understand the reasoning for this as a design choice as it means the tracks can be woven around each other and create some lovely happy accidents, but just wondering if the option to do this will be added in a firmware update?

You can at least copy/paste the slider positions to the PITCH override for the track by holding ALT and pressing the encoder. Then you can clear it by pressing ALT and holding the encoder. The gate settings would still have to be done per stage. It’s covered on page 76 of the manual.

From the manual:
You would accomplish this SHORTCUT: You can match all 8 stage’s PITCH OVERRIDE values to the current PITCH SLIDER positions by holding ALT while pushing the encoder.

OK great. Thank you.

So are there any plans to be able to decouple things entirely on the second track and create Track 2 using the switches too? Just trying to understand the reasoning behind this not being an option.