Metropolix 1.4.1 — USB MIDI / More Gx Modes / Randomizer / Bug Fixes / Updated Manual!

Hey @slowwild
I recently got the usb extender for the Metropolix. It’s incredibly cool to sequence poly synths with the metro!
But as it is right now I have to take the detour via computer adding unnecessary latency.
Is there a good way to wire/solder/convert this directly to a standard 5 pin midi socket?

No there is no hardware pins setup for TRS/DIN Midi on the Metropolix, MIDI will only work over USB.

You can explore some computer-free options, i mentioned a couple here:

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply!
So if I understand correctly I’d have to look for some kind of host device as an alternative option?

Yeah, Something like https://kentonuk.com/product/midi-usb-host-mk3/ (I have not tried this), or something like the MioXM (which i have tried and was pretty good, but I did have a few missed clock ticks when syncing externally)

1 Like

Alright I’ll look into that. Thanks!

1 Like

With this update, is it possible to route MIDI note/gate data received over USB out of the module via CV+Gate on either the TRK # or A/B outputs? I’m trying to figure out if I can sacrifice my µMIDI to make space in my rack for the USB Extender.

Regardless, thanks everyone for all your continued work. This module just keeps getting better and better. :slight_smile:

I’ve been wanting the “receive a trigger to advance to the next preset chain” for a while when I realized how handy it would be paired with the Verigate 8+'s END trigger in song mode.

Hi, I want to connect the Metropolix usb expander midi out to an Elektron device, without using a computer. I’ve looked at a number of devices such as the Kenton and the MioXm but as far as I can see they all need an external power source - which adds clutter. I’ve also seen a number of smaller bus powered devices such as the retrokits RK-005 which seem to do a similar thing, and was wondering if the Metropolix usb midi expander can supply bus power to an attached device?

Sorry, it will not supply BUS power, it’s a device, not a host.

You will need to externally power the device in-between.

Just wanted to stop by and mention that I just got my hands on a Squarp Hapax, which has both USB midi host and device inputs and it works great with Metropolix over USB. I’m now controlling clock and transport over MIDI USB and I can route the Metropolix to whichever MIDI synth I want… I’m recording patterns off the Metropolix onto Hapax patterns. Super cool!

Now that I’m on team MIDI Metropolix, I gotta echo this suggestions: Feature suggestion MIDI-in-CCs to all parameters

Would be super awesome to be able to automate some params from the Hapax!

I use my MPC1 as a MIDI host and pass it through to my other synths via the MPC.

1 Like

I’m curious if anyone has tried this USB to TRS module from Michigan Synth Works as a way to convert the USB out on the Metropolix to TRS?

Here’s the product:
USB2MIDI

It looks like it just converts and doesn’t act as a host or anything. It’s not listed on ModularGrid, so I don’t know much else about it. I’m thinking it would still need a host between.

Edit: Added it MG and talked to the manufacturer. It requires USB power, so I don’t think it will convert straight from the Metropolix.

If it has a Mini or Micro, it’s almost surely a device (not a host). A host would have a USB-A port (or USB-C). That said, I’m not familiar with this module, you’d have to contact them to know for sure.

I’ve successfully used the 2U Tubbutec USB Bridge A to convert Metropolix midi to something that can be plugged into a standalone midi device (in my case the Digitone).

1 Like

Hey all, I’m a noob so please be patient with me.
Just got my Metropolix and am very excited.
Trying to connect the USB to my PC (Win10) brings nothing…
Win not even recognizing a new connection…
I’ve DL the various files here, and Zadig is not offering STM32 (I’ve enables “List all devices”)
what am I missing?
Thanks!

I assume this is for a firmware update? If so, the Metropolix still needs power from your Eurorack case or the updater app won’t be able to find it. Do you have it powered?

Hey thanks. And yes. Powering the rack while holding the small button next to the usb port. Nothing works :frowning:

You might have a good reason for this (I haven’t paid any attention to the Windows side of things!) but why are you using Zadig instead of the Intellijel app?

Had to install the driver.
Anyway - the issue was the cable… :nerd_face:
Thanks for trying to assist!

Mx/Gx expander request:

Have each of the Mx outs be controlled by a mod lane in gate mode. Basically being a 8 lane gate sequencer.

I like being able to do a click/div clock out, but having it be per stage output via gate mode would offer up a lot of functionality.