Metropolix 1.4.1 — USB MIDI / More Gx Modes / Randomizer / Bug Fixes / Updated Manual!

Sorry for my poor English.
I like to keep transposing in one gate.
I don’t know how to reproduce the same behavior in 1.4.

Ditto, and I certainly wouldn’t want to be stuck on 1.3!

Hi Guys,
I have recently updated to 141 and got the USB module.

Just wanna say thanks for a terrific work on this update, the USB thing, Sysex stuff and saving is a huge leap forward.
THX !!!

2 Likes

Single Pattern Dump Feature Request.

Please implement a SysEx dump for transmitting and receiving just one pattern and choose slot location.

Thanks.

1 Like

Is it possible to connect the USB ports on Intellijel cases to the Metropolix for USB functionality?

Open this link… Important to read it all

I just noticed that [Slider] in A/Bout has been added. I will need to review the manual again.
Thank you Intellijel.

2 Likes

Could one use the usb extender with the right usb cable (Type B to micro) to directly connect metropolix to sync with ie a Digitakt?

Thanks. Andre.

The Elektron boxes are not USB Hosts; like the Metropolix, they are all USB Devices and need to be connected to a host for them to work.

There are some DIY/Arduino/Pi USB Host projects that can sit in between the 2 devices, there is also something from Kenton (I have not tried) and the Mio Series from iConnectivity (I have used MioXM, but have had mixed results for clock timing)

I currently use a Mac Mini w/ Bitwig to connect my Metropolix to my Analog 4 and Analog Rytm.

1 Like

Hello all! I’ve been really loving my metropolix! I had some feature ideas, I figured this is probably the best place to post them - if not, let me know!

These ideas are centered around having more control over pattern chains. I like the idea of a song mode, but metropolix is such an interesting sequencer, it would be cool to have song like features added in sort of non-traditional ways. I think this could be done via external CV/control knobs/modlanes by modifying pattern chains on the fly.

For example: You setup your pattern chain - set the “advance” mode to “triggered”
You then set one of your CV inputs to be “Pattern Chain Trigger”. Now your chain won’t progress until it receives a trigger from the CV input.

Similarly, you could have a addressed/specific voltage mode instead of a trigger advance. When you make your chain each pattern would have a voltage assigned to it based on the number of patterns in the chain (if you had 5 patterns, and assuming a 0-5v range, pattern 1 would be 0 volts, 2 would be 0.1, 3 would be 0.2, etc).

Basically, this would allow you to control the metropolix chains like a sequential switch, which would allow you to sync up pattern changes with other sequencers and do a lot of other crazy stuff!

Similarly, a CV output mode that sends a trigger/gate every time your pattern chain advances would be handy for syncing up other changes in your rack at the same time.

I imagine the hard part about all of this is that all of these things are probably stored per pattern, so when the pattern changes all the CV assignments change? Perhaps there could be an option to make a CV input/output/modlane “Global” so that it remained static even when patterns changed?

I’m still pretty new to euro and metropolix, so if any of this is already possible, let me know. Thanks for all the hard work, love my metropolix!

Is it possible to tell if there’s a pattern saved in a save slot before saving it? When I go to save a pattern they all look very similar.

Would it make sense to have empty slots a much dimmer colour or something, or blinking?

1 Like

Hey @slowwild
I recently got the usb extender for the Metropolix. It’s incredibly cool to sequence poly synths with the metro!
But as it is right now I have to take the detour via computer adding unnecessary latency.
Is there a good way to wire/solder/convert this directly to a standard 5 pin midi socket?

No there is no hardware pins setup for TRS/DIN Midi on the Metropolix, MIDI will only work over USB.

You can explore some computer-free options, i mentioned a couple here:

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply!
So if I understand correctly I’d have to look for some kind of host device as an alternative option?

Yeah, Something like https://kentonuk.com/product/midi-usb-host-mk3/ (I have not tried this), or something like the MioXM (which i have tried and was pretty good, but I did have a few missed clock ticks when syncing externally)

1 Like

Alright I’ll look into that. Thanks!

1 Like

With this update, is it possible to route MIDI note/gate data received over USB out of the module via CV+Gate on either the TRK # or A/B outputs? I’m trying to figure out if I can sacrifice my µMIDI to make space in my rack for the USB Extender.

Regardless, thanks everyone for all your continued work. This module just keeps getting better and better. :slight_smile:

I’ve been wanting the “receive a trigger to advance to the next preset chain” for a while when I realized how handy it would be paired with the Verigate 8+'s END trigger in song mode.

Hi, I want to connect the Metropolix usb expander midi out to an Elektron device, without using a computer. I’ve looked at a number of devices such as the Kenton and the MioXm but as far as I can see they all need an external power source - which adds clutter. I’ve also seen a number of smaller bus powered devices such as the retrokits RK-005 which seem to do a similar thing, and was wondering if the Metropolix usb midi expander can supply bus power to an attached device?

Sorry, it will not supply BUS power, it’s a device, not a host.

You will need to externally power the device in-between.