Metropolis 1.36

Does it make a difference whether it’s with Internal or External Clock?

1 Like

Heya fam!
Just leaving a Metropolis functionality suggestion here for any potential firmware updates in 2019/beyond:
Using the encoder to set slider/note value along with prev/next buttons.
For example: Hit “next” button, dial in the note on the encoder, push encoder to “set” and repeat as needed. Could also use similar encoder functionality along with the sliders. Touch which slider you want to change and this allows you to dial it the note value via encoder turning. Push encoder to set.
Metropolis is by far my favorite sequencer of all time though sometimes I find myself wanting to use the encoder to enter note values.
Food for thought!
Keep up the great work!

:sunglasses:

This is with external clock, since I’m clocking and reseting from an external source. Do you want me to try sending a reset while on internal clock?
I forgot to mention that the Metropolis resets correctly, but also triggers a gate.

By the way, I didn’t get a notification of your reply. That’s why I’m replying 5 days later.

1 Like

Hi Peeps :slight_smile:

I purchased a Metropolis back in November 2016 and it still has the same firmware as it was delivered which is 1.14

I appreciate that there are a lot of enhancements with the latest firmware but I am struggling with a method of actually applying it to my unit.

According to the old manual I can either use an updater app along with the Intellijel USB ISP dongle or I can purchased a new firmware chip.

I am struggling to find either to be honest.

Could anyone please advise on what my options are?

thanks,

andy

Hi Andy,

You should be able to do the firmware update with any Arduino programmer. The Nano is very similar to our USB ISP so I have been recommending it as an alternative and I know some of our customers have successfully used it to update their Metropolis.

You can find it here: https://store.arduino.cc/usa/arduino-nano

If anyone does NOT want to deal with the firmware update -

I have the USB ISP module now and I flash your Metropolis for FREE, as a service to all you awesome people.

I am a software engineer and well-versed in Eurorack, flashing devices, etc. I am using the official USB-ISP device.

Conditions:

1. You cover $15 postage (plus postage to send the module)
  2. If your module gets bricked (remote but always real possibility), I am not liable or responsible for the module.

I am in Bay Area, CA. PM me if you are interested.

You can always contact support and send it in for updating, You would only pay shipping one way. It may be delayed if coming from outside of Canada during the COVID-19 pandemic.

I expect that Metropolis has a fork in it, w/r/t future firmware updates, but if you do ever decide to expand the functionality of this great sequencer, I would like to request that the following features be considered for inclusion:

– When you load a sequence preset (using the LOAD + SLIDE/SKIP # shortcut) while the sequencer is running, you have the option to have the sequencer start playing the new sequence after the current cycle (i.e., the set number of stages if fixed) is completed, instead of mid-cycle, as per current behavior.

– The ability to load (and play, if the sequencer is running) a new sequence preset via CV.

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi , when im sending a clock to the metropolis it seems not to sync well from ext gates.

I always have timing issues with this machine

Where are the gates coming from, out of curiosity?

Hi Trevor,

It might be due to the pulse width or length of the gates. Sending a Trig or clock signal will have shorter pulse width which is easier for Metropolis to lock to. Also, once Metropolis reads the ext tempo if you press the BPM a second time to “lock” the tempo you wont have the ramp up effect while it reads the incoming BPM.

If you need technical assistance you can always e-mail support@intellijel.com.

Quick question about Metropolis and Repeat vs. Long mode:

If I set repeats to 1 on consecutive stages, I notice I get a much longer gate when the ‘long’ mode is active vs. when the ‘repeat’ mode is active.

At first I just thought that metropolis was just putting the gate high during the entire length of the stage, but that doesn’t seem to be what’s happening. If that were the case, the time low between a long stage and the next active stage gate would be very short, but it isn’t!

So my questions are:

1. Are there rest pulses inserted after long stages?
  2. How is the gate time calculated for a long stage?

One of the reasons this came up is because I thought maybe some of pulse count switches were broken, but they work fine in repeat mode! In long mode, there is very little difference in gate length between 1 and 2 repeats (??)

Thanks.

Geremy

Does the position of the GATE TIME knob make a difference to how long it holds?

Yes, it seems to. Max gate time to min gate time with repeat 1 in long mode is almost double the gate length. Is there a minimum long pulse time of 2 repeats?

Ok, after some experimentation I think I see what happens.

In long pulse mode the gate goes high and stays there until the next stage. It doesn’t ever go low.

The Gate Time knob has no real effect on the actual long pulse stage, but the long pulse stage is secondarily effected by the following stage.

So if you have long pulse, then repeat or one-shot, the long pulse stage is always high, and the gate stays high on the next stage until the the pulse duration (controlled by the gate time knob) causes it to go low.

Thanks.

1 Like

Right, “long pulse” is actually HOLD mode, so if there’s a neighbouring gate it will tie them together.

I did re install Metropolis 136 with an arduino boot loader, it worked like a charm.

Just check your connections are right and take the power jumper off the board to not short it.
Also check preferences to see what type of arduino being connected.