Did Behringer seriously just rip off the quad VCA?

I swear to god, if this isn’t the exact same thing as the Intellijel Quad VCA.
I understand remaking things like the wasp or other classic synths that are hard to get, with updated technology, but the Quad VCA (notably the most popular VCA on modulargrid) is not discontinued, or hard to get, or even a part of an iconic classic synth. Is there some sort of infringement on intellectual property here, or is it just not a classy move on their part?

4 Likes

Absolutely disgusting.

BTW, they didn’t remake the Wasp, they stole the Jasper Synths DIY clone of the Wasp. Same with their TD-3. It was taken from the XOXHeart.

5 Likes

Oh my God, that’s really cynical.

1 Like

i didnt know that. Im glad i didnt buy it

1 Like

This is par for the course for them, nothing new or unexpected. They recently also released a Plaits clone I believe, their Eurorack case is a Mantis ripoff, Crave is a Mother-32 ripoff, etc.

2 Likes

just Behringer being Behringer as usual. not much else to say.

2 Likes

I don’t own anything by Behringer because of this endless cloning. It’s a shame too as they have come out with decent original designs in the past. I’m all for making music gear available to as many people as possible by keeping prices down, but just hoovering up everyone else’s designs isn’t the way to do it :frowning:

1 Like

I’m frustrated that modwiggler frames discussion of this as “witch hunts and mob justice”. That is itself a clear political stance by the mods under the pretense of being apolitical.

3 Likes

The current description on MG is pretty great.

6 Likes

This Behringer guy is unstoppable. I admit I have the Model D and planning to buy a Neutron, but at least Moog has stopped manufacturing the minimoog and the Neutron seem quite an original artefact as far as I know. Scanning the market for good products to partly reproduce in a variant new product is nothing new. Reproducing the exact product, with the same layout, same text printed on the panel and selling it for half of the money is evil, especially when the design is coming from a small boutique company. We all should go on their social media and and leave few nice comments about this thievery.
On a positive note, this is a major recognition for the folks here at Intellijel for their brave and forward-thinking design as well as a major marketing scoop. Just take a look at the activity on the net around this module, some like Synthanatomy are very outspoken and incite to buy the original and support the small Canadian company. Only time will tell if Behringer wrecking the industry or helping small enterprises to be noticed.

1 Like

Is it though?

You don’t think completely ripping off a still-in-production module and selling it for (presumably) half the price is cynical? Fair enough.

I thought you were saying I was being cynical! Sorry for the misunderstanding mate

1 Like

No problem, I should have been more clear.

1 Like

On a “wants vs needs” spectrum, Eurorack lands overtly in the wants. I hope this is sufficient to shield original designers from what’s clearly an assault.

1 Like

If you’re gonna buy a Neutron anyways, try to get a used one, to at least not support Behringer directly.

2 Likes

I wont be buying their products from now on. I wont support this theft.

6 Likes

this website does not work well

???

Are you referring to anything in particular @Foghorn?

Nothing in particular, but it kept crashing and would not let me do anything.
The website usually works
I tried to edit what was originally in that post and it would not let me
Eventually I typed the content of that post, and it let me submit?
Then it wouldn’t let me edit or do anything
So I left