Did Behringer seriously just rip off the quad VCA?

Hmmm… yeah that sounds frustrating. What browser are you using?

Yikes. I’d like to say I’m surprised, but these clowns have been playing the same game for decades.

And now, Devil Fish’s TB-303 mods have been ripped off by Behringer. They really will steal from anyone.

2 Likes

It’s funny that there is no official response from MI or intellijel because to them I’m sure it’s not cool but responding would probably play right into B’s playbook, which is to seek attention at any cost. Really if You want to take a bite out of the big dawgs try cloning beads or metropolix hell they couldn’t even pull off metropolis. Laughable

1 Like

I’m sure they aren’t thrilled about it, but perhaps this isn’t the platform to discuss it (for Intellijel’s sake):

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve seen those but it’s all BS. They ended up looking silly for it. That’s just scare tactics. You can say what You want to say.

1 Like

They don’t have any need to clone metropolis/metropolix. They are already ripping off the ARP line.

I wouldn’t put it past them to try and make a shoddy Atlantis though.

1 Like

Just saying I suspect there’s a reason Intellijel and Mutable aren’t publicly addressing their blatant theft, that’s all. Maybe it’s legal, maybe it’s as you said. Also, F##k Beh###ger.

2 Likes

the neutron was a ripoff of the SSF bantam, he posted a prototype and 4 months later neutron came out

2 Likes

I appreciate them taking the high road and not responding. We can all see what’s going on. I’ll keep buying from Intellijel. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nitpick: the Plaits software is MIT-licensed, and the Mutable Instruments repo specifically requests that derivative works not use the module’s original name.

The Quad VCA thing is still shady AF, but IMO it’s important to distinguish “cloned without permission” from “derived from open-source code with a permissive license”.

1 Like

You’re right - but my opinion is that it’s still unethical for such a large company to be taking designs. It’s shameful really. Sure there are some small companies that specialize in MI clones and even some major retailers carry them. For that I can acknowledge there is room for a discussion and disagreement but again in my opinion for a company like b to be doing it just represents their low artistic / design integrity, which seems to show in everything they do. It’s obvious that what seems to drive them is “will this make noise on the forums / cause discussion?” Which they probably feel confident that they can somewhat offset by relentless bot postings and negative comment removals where they can.

The stealing of Intellijel’s Quad VCA is not shady, it is illegal and would be a simple case in a court of law.

That depends on whether the front panel design is copyrighted.

No, if its not, then Intellijel claims ownership and copyright providing proof of their production years before Behringer steals the panel.