1U modules wishlist

Sweet!!! and may be the XY 1U Module can be connected for 2nd Track Output… now u can slide between Track 1 and 2 using 1U Crossfader! :slight_smile:

Somewhat off topic but that’s a really nice rendering of a module!

2 Likes

Thanks! i can clean up the file n provide the design kit for everyone on Figma if there are interests :slight_smile:

10 Likes

That would be really awesome

1 Like

Here we go… To use it just create free Figma account and duplicate the file! Hope this can spark creativity! Let me know if there are components that arent available in the file (Planar2 Joystick come to my mind now XD) / request for new components for prototyping purpose.

Happy designing & prototyping!

12 Likes

Thanks very much for making this available! I’m sure it will get the creative juices of a lot of people (including myself…) flowing. I’ve been meaning to mess around with figma for quite some time too

1 Like

Unexpectedly, 1U fader has already been mentioned. niikkoo’s FADER module concept is great
It is my fault that the buttons are not aligned. I updated it with the design kit provided by niikkoo.

I also thought of the concept of ADSR 1U

2 Likes

I like that sample player, it’s very cool
Thank you for sharing the design kit on Figma!

I’ve been waiting for that ADSR 1u forever. It seems like it keeps getting suggested over and over.

The max height of a PCB for 1U is 22.5mm (close to a 4HP Module turned sideways).

1U Specs: 1U Technical Specifications - intellijel

Vertical sliders would never fit on the board, generally you can’t have any hardware between the screw holes on the top and bottom*. Using full knobs a single ADSR would be about 20-24hp.

*Exceptions for hardware that is only on the top panel of course, like the FSR 1U or a fader or knob cap.

PS—Design kit looks great.

4 Likes

I think this one should be no brainer :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I’d love a simple utility tile: two inputs for and/or outputs (analogue or is the maximum of the two, analogue and is the minimum of the two, and would work for digital as well) two inputs for a comparator with a comparator out and an inverted comparator out, and then a signal inverter or two.

@nniikkoo this is phenomenal work, and thank you so much for sharing!

1 Like

Yes! I’ve had my eye on the Worng LRMSMSLR and was trying to imagine a 1U version. My approach was trying to work in LR/MS toggle switches, but I think keeping it simple like this makes more sense. I’m assuming there would be left to right normalling for the top and bottom.

It would also be useful to have Chain In and Chain Out connections on the back to connect a Mixup or Pedal IO.

3 Likes

One thing I would add is two switches on the front for -6db gain, because mid/side encoding can make the signal quite hot. The Shakmat SumDif (and I believe the also Worng LRMSMSLR) has jumpers on the back to apply the gain reduction but it’s a hassle.

I would love to be able to have the link pins on the back. I don’t think you could send mixup→ms/lr→output to process everything in the mixup as mid/side audio though. Inputs 1&2 on the mixup would both only be present in one ear.

That said, it would be great to use the pedal I/O in mid/side. I’m not sure how that would work though. The manuals for anything with the link pins on the back always say don’t connect to the pedal io because it uses the pins differently. No idea exactly what’s going on there.

Yeah the Pedal IO might not make sense upon consideration. I was just thinking of other things that use the 3-pin connectors. There might be a fun way to use it with XY as well.

Inputs 1&2 on Mixup are mono so they’re sent evenly to the LR out. My thinking is that if you chained the output from Mixup to the theorized MS EncDec 1U, it would sum the Mixup signal with anything at the LR inputs (or it could be a normalling setup where the LR inputs cancel the Chain In). Then you’d be able to send the MS out for whatever processing you wanted, such as lowpass filtering the mid, highpass filtering the sides, or adding reverb delay and/or chorus to the sides and return it to the MS input for conversion back to LR.

With a Chain output, it could be connected to another Mixup or a Stereo Mixer 1U leaving the LR output free to patch somewhere else to create another potential send return path. Seems like the Chain Out would be maybe be more useful than the Chain In.

The -6db switches or jumpers are a good idea too.

2 Likes

Steve the player
Digikey sells Vector rails in the US.
They will sell them to anyone

M/S encoding and decoding is actually the same: output 1 is input A+input B, and output 2 is input A-input B. Going from LR to MS or going from MS to LR is the same. You wouldn’t need toggle switches, you just need to be okay with the fact that your inputs might be mis-labeled. That’s why I have my encoder jacks labeled L/M and R/S for the inputs, and M/L and S/R for the outputs.

1u scales wud be great

CV → MIDI would be good too. Amazing if it could be an expander module for the midi 1u

1 Like