1U modules wishlist

Perhaps one of those lovely useful led-button things like what you see on a quadrax?

1 Like

My initial thoughts on such a module:

1. Cool. Cool cool cool;
  2. Two jacks fit in each 2HP of a 1U module; if you want 3 axes with an output for each, or any controls at all, the module would have to be at least 4HP;
  3. Maybe a uni/bipolar switch, or even bipolar/half-wave/full-wave rectification switch would be good;
  4. It might need a way to set the “zero” position of the gyroscope;
  5. While perhaps not as interesting as tilting a palette, it might be better to have the gyroscope or whatever be an external Bluetooth device. It would allow anyone to use it, not just small case people, and your movements wouldn’t be limited by the power cable, output cables, etc. But that might be veering too close to Genki Wave Ring territory.
1 Like

Ok, so what about a module that provides power, and has an interface (a few button-lights or knobs), that connects to the xy+ for ins/outs. Then it can be connected to expanders/accessories (one or two contact mics, a gyroscope/accelerometer, etc.). Think similar to the way a springray connects with its tanks.

I think we could fit at least one if not two light-buttons—can someone please tell me the official name for those?—along with a sensitivity knob onto the panel, with no need to worry about jack space. The UI and learning curve might be a little difficult, but this would be a set it and forget it type module, with the only really often-used control potentially being the sensitivity knob.

Front panel mockup:

As far as UI goes, my idea was to have one button change which channel you’re dealing with (which would be indicated by the lights), and then the other button to assign a functionality for that mode (ie short press would change modes, and long press would switch between passive and phantom powered contact mics or enter calibration mode for the accelerometer). I think the module would time out after a while and just enter the mode where it visualizes the outputs (tap any button to wake it up).

I can’t think of any other accessories that would go with this at the moment, but I can imagine it wouldn’t be too hard to make a tap clock/lfo with nothing connected (or a mode that ignores the attachments). Maybe there could be alternate firmware or open firmware for whatever the “open” mode behaves like.

I don’t know how much of this is possible with the space constraints (it would have to be a quite deep module, relatively speaking for 1U), but that was just my idea for a cool multifunction module.

If you have a look at Steppy 1U, you’ll see that in the 1U space 2HP is only enough for 2 jacks or 2 of those LED Switch Buttons. Unfortunately you wouldn’t be able to fit a pair of buttons with a trimmer. Also, from my understanding the digital control for this would need some space and would make it very expensive for a small module.

2HP modules are probably best kept analog and very simple.

Each of those buttons requires ~8mm of horizontal space on the PCB, so the vertical space required is at least as much. The trimmer requires ~13mm of vertical space. There is only 22.5mm of space between the rails.

Also, if the module is unusable without another module, it isn’t really a 2HP module anymore.

Both good points. I was just expanding on a theoretical. I still think the module, or perhaps multiple modules, would be fun additions if they were 4-6hp

I am finding lately I wish there was a simple OR module in 1u format. It would be even better if it could double as a unity mixer. Here’s my idea:

6 jacks in as little HP as possible. Two sets of two input, one output ORs that you could switch each set to be a unity mixer either via a jumper on the back or a small switch on the front panel. Perhaps there could be some normalization where it could also function as a four input, one output OR or unity mixer.

3 Likes

Sequential switches:
I mostly use them to either switch between gate patterns or to transpose a sequence. A Quadratt happens to be close to my sequential switch and sometimes I just use all its channels to supply a different offset. Having a simple, small sequential switch in 1U would be neat.

3 Likes

What about a few jacks and/or buttonlights with i2c connectivity?

This makes me want a 1U comparator…

7 Likes

I’ve been meaning to request a 1U comparator for a while, but I didn’t want to flood the queue.

Would be bonkers :sunglasses:

1 Like

Nice when is 3 row 1U case coming that have joners to Connect 7U 104hp over it and the connect 7U case over it ”case coming”:):slight_smile: have so many 1U modules now that i cant use if i dont shift them or buy more 7U cases or do custom Made,
Its a pain hope you understand the problem. And i dont want 1U in 3U spott, I want a clean nice system:)

I’d try getting a palette case and a few sets of 1U rails. It’s not hard to convert a small case. That said, it would be nice if intellijel were to sell those rails themselves

I need an Instruō+Intellijel collab to make a tanh[1U] module!

1 Like

1U Fader : Attenuator/ Performance Tool

Concept: The leftmost is the 4 channel input (A, B, C, D) and the right four channel output (A, B, C, D), the middle 4 buttons correspond to each channel, you can disable or enable the channel.

O (A)O(C)========■□■========O (A)O(C)

O (B)O(D)_____O_O_O_O_____O (B)O(D)

When Fader is in the middle, A+B=50%, C+D=50%,
when Fader is on the far left, A+B=0%, C+D=100%,
when Fader is on the far right, A+B=100%,C+D=0%.
It can also be changed to A, B or A+B by disabling the channel button

It would be cool if it can add the recording function

3 Likes

That would be awesome, but unfortunately I’m pretty sure it would not be physically possible. Those Steppy style buttons would have to be in line with the jacks in order to have clearance from the 1U rails. I like the idea of having record and playback buttons, but I’d also want a sync input so you could use it similarly to Planar 2.

@nniikkoo also had a great simple crossfader module concept with just 4 inputs and a pair of outputs. I suggested normalling one input pair with -5V and the other with +5V would be cool to make it useable as a standalone controller, and possibly adding a CV input for position and a control for the crossfader curve.

4 Likes

how about clockable sample player that can be use to record performance. then using the crossfader to fade between recorded performance and live performance… boom! :slight_smile: no need for octatrack. quick sketch so havent thought about any other features.

8 Likes

That looks great! I imagine the encoder would push in to select things, so I imagine the SELECT button could be used as an Edit button to enter/exit the menu. It could also potentially be held to provide alternate functions to the other buttons (for example, ALT-PLAY could be REVerse then that button could be used for something else). Might also be useful to use LED Buttons so they can light up to provide feedback, for example the REC button could light red to show it’s recording, or flash to show it’s record armed and waiting for a trigger at the RST input.

4 Likes