1U modules wishlist

First post, hey all!

I’d love something really simple: four manual gates. two latching and two momentary with led indication (Steppy-style illuminated buttons?) in 12hp or less. This would be a total slam dunk for me and would perfectly fill a hole in my current 1U universe.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, and great idea!

I guess another way to approach it might be to have a module that’s just 2 channels with a switch between latching and momentary. Then if you wanted, you could just buy a second pair and choose whether you wanted them to be latching or momentary.

I also like the idea of something similar to Shifty in 1U. It would be great if it could work as both an input and output router as some modules do, so you could send one input to four outputs or select between four inputs to go to one output.

2 Likes

Thank you for the warm welcome :slightly_smiling_face:. Pairs instead of quads definitely makes sense, more modular and all. I would be extremely happy if something like this were to come out!

1U shifty variant would be so epic man.

2 Likes

I would looooove a 1U “Headphones Jack” module, and a related 1U Headphones revision.

By utilizing only rear connectors, the actual 1U Headphones faceplate could simply have… One knob. No jacks at all. Audio would be routed into Headphones via rear 3-Pin Link connection. Audio would be routed out of Headphones via rear 6-pin ribbon to Headphones Jack module.

I have a 1U row on the rear of my case, which is where Power Entry and Audio IO Jacks are mounted. Having Headphone Jack in the rear row as well would be killer.

Actually… I’ve been trying to figure out how to just mod Headphones v2 myself to do this. Thinking of just mounting Headphones v2 module on the rear row, desoldering its pot legs, and removing the pot. Then I’d mount that pot to a simple home brew tile on my front row (just drill a hole in a blank tile), and then remote wire it into those same points on the Headphones v2 PCB. How hard could that be? (famous last words, but only a $70 module at stake)

1 Like

I did almost exactly this. Mounted the module in the rear with the output jack and made a 6hp tile with the pot and 1/8’ jacks for the 1u row. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

1 Like

I’m just here to join in on the chorus for a 1u quantizer

1 Like

Finally had a chance to mess with a Music Easel over the weekend and the 5 step pulse sequencer section is hot stuff. Was really fun to use the switches to manipulate the seq (and was fun to have the quirky 5 steps).
Would be a blast to have a version of this in 1U.
Just incase you guys are working on a sort of “Clock Tools” (I think I saw some brainstorms about this some time ago) this could be a fun addition to connect to it on the back (expander style) or skip that and do just the obvious clock in.
Maybe a mode switch too that “holds” vs just pulses?
Cheers!

2 Likes

There was some enthusiastic chatter today on a text thread with friends about how useful an XLR Mic/Instrument input 1U would be.
:sunglasses::peace_symbol:

1U module idea: configurable logic

Panel layout is like the switched multiple + two jacks

switches have three positions, AND / OR / INHIBIT

each switch affects the input above it

two additional jacks: input (maybe?) and output

circuit description

For simplicity, start with two inputs connected - the unswitched input A and one switched input B

The switch under B controls the logic function:

• AND will output high when A and B are both high
  • OR will output high when either/both of A and B are high
  • INHIBIT will output high when A is high and B is low

Generalizing this to multiple inputs can be done in lots of ways; here is one that seems like it would give ergonomic behavior when changing the settings in realtime.

• AND all inputs set to AND together with the unswitched input
  • OR that with all the OR inputs
  • INHIBIT the result if any of the INHIBIT inputs are high

(or should OR go before AND? That would make switching an unused input to AND work like a manual mute :thinking: )

Inputs & outputs should do whatever trick is involved in making wired-OR work (for instance, the way the 0-Control does)

Nice to have: indicator lights on the jacks

Alternative ideas:

• instead of a fixed input, have two outputs and make INHIBIT inputs switch which one is active; could be useful for routing drum triggers
  • partial outputs - only AND? etc
  • splittability, like Quadratt for when you need two smaller logic units
2 Likes

Somewhat offtopic, but they’re Intellijel-format by default:

I can’t find any video demos, and their Facebook page was created on the 4th of May - but the panels look neat!

1 Like

Interesting, based on the domain name registration, looks to be Qu-bit behind it, seeing a ton of overlap with the 2HP Modules. Looks to be a re-jigged form factor.

4 Likes

@Danjel I’m really hoping that 1U precision adder gets released before I pull the trigger on my palette62 desert island, because it’s looking real nice and has received a lot of attention in this thread

1 Like

Yes. 1U panning with ms/lr modes. Would it be possible to chain them as well, like some sort of passive mixer where you can send one a lr signal and the second a m/s signal and the normalled mix output?

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. The Chain In/Out would work the same as Mixup & Stereo Mixer 1U so it would just be summed at unity.

2 Likes

I had read that it was likely Qu-bit behind the Mosaic modules in another post somewhere. And I have long known that Qu-bit are also the makers of the 2hp brand of modules (of which I have many). But for some reason it did not click with me until you just said it that the Mosaic modules are likely just form-factor redesigns of existing 2hp modules. That makes a lot of sense. And it also relieves me of a fair bit of GAS as well, as I already know what to expect from at least half of the modules. Long story short, I no longer crave the drum modules, but expect the rest to be worthwhile.

The 1u quantize is the most intriguing for me. I haven’t tried the 2hp Tune, but it looks like the Mosaic 1u quantizer has enough additional features that it likely had a significant upgrade anyway.

I do wish they were offering silver panels though. White faceplates tend to look rather cheap when surrounded by proper aluminum-paneled neighbors. But the black panels are perfect for people looking to complete a full stealth 7u or palette.

I was really excited until I saw the panels were that glossy, white PCB stuff NLC and 4ms use. I agree, it looks cheap to me too. It’s a shame, because the 2hp silver panels are top notch - up there with Intellijel.
Not to put too much emphasis on aesthetics over function, but there needs to be balance.

1 Like

Another 1U idea: I2C bus extender.

On the front panel, a single RJ45 jack (Ethercon would be nice, but they might be too wide)

On the back:

• a PCA9615 differential I2C buffer + pull-ups
  • a 2x3 I2C header
  • two three-pin headers, as used by the XY IO

The PCA9615 transmits bidirectional I2C signals over two differential pairs - handy for long runs between cases etc. That takes four of the eight conductors in a standard Cat5 cable.

The XY headers are connected to the other four conductors; they could bridge anything from stereo audio signals to TRS MIDI between cases.

3 Likes

I know somebody was asking about 2hp 1U options, and I thought of a great one: a module with an internal gyroscope/accelerometer/orientation sensor and two or three outputs. If there’s panel space there could also be a sensitivity knob.

I’d love to be able to tilt around something like a palette and have that expressed as cv.

2 Likes

That sensor would be in my case :slight_smile:

If memory serves from upthread, (separately from the 2hp topic) human input devices are a category being eyed for new Intellijel 1u modules.

There was some question however, about whether a couple of jacks can fit in 2hp x 1u, - despite it being possible with 3u. But if the 2hp module talks to the X Y 1u instead, you might be able to fit a switch for 2 levels of sensitivity, or to switch modes from two axes to one.

1 Like