1U modules wishlist

This is basically the uMod II simplified. Since uMod is discontinued I had definitely considered something along these lines. The mini pots do not fit over the jacks though so there would need to be a different arrangement. Could even just leave out pots in favour of leds and using external attenuators like a Duatt or Quadratt.

3 Likes

Exactly. Good point with the external attenuator… but may be a pot for the bias…

Not sure if anyone has said this but I’d love to see a 1u footswitch module. Something like the Doepfer 1-1772. Would be rad to have a small foot switch on the ground for looping with er-301 or morphagene with guitar and not take up any 3u space. I wonder if it could be pretty small especially if it was just the bottom half of the dopefer module for just a gate on/off situation. 8hp 1u maybe?? http://www.doepfer.de/a1772.htm

3 Likes

Something like this? https://www.ritualelectronics.com/products/1u-pointeuse

2 Likes

Any plans for something with a tiny foot print, like 2 hp?

1 Like

10 characters of YES

Is there any way to fit a laparoscopic robot in a 1U module? I’m tired of renting one when I have to switch out a dumb 16 pin power cable with a 10 pin cable on the palette case.

image https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fmy.clevelandclinic.org%2Fhealth%2Ftreatments%2F21057-robotic-assisted-hysterectomy%2Fprocedure-details&psig=AOvVaw3VRF1KBo5J2BMtLT63osc2&ust=1607362381732000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCPjssNDxue0CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAN

2 Likes

I’m sure this has already been suggested upthread so apologies for any duplication (trawling through nearly 600 posts to check is a bit too much!) but I’d really love a simple VCO in 1U format.

3 Likes

That’d be awesome. Especially a mini Dixie with LFOs.

2 Likes

That would be just about perfect!

Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but since the 104HP Palette has precision adders, does this mean a 1U precision adder is on the way?

1 Like

Signed up so I could throw in some votes on this topic. I have a lot of 1U space so this is going to be a list.

One idea I didn’t see mentioned but I’d be interested in seeing is some kind of macro-control/CV-recorder. I imagine something like MI Frames on some kind of horizontal slider like Tetrapad. The idea would be that you could have CV change through your settings as you move through the slider. No idea if anyone else would want that.

Here are some modules I’d love to see so I could maybe move them out of 3u space into 1u:

• 2-way sequential switch (even just 4 steps would be an instant buy from me)
  • Pitch Quantizer (1u Scales would be awesome)
  • Envelope generator (I imagine half a Dual ADSR with the sliders or maybe a single two-knob kind of thing like Quadrax.)
  • VCF (I have a couple of 3-4hp 3u ones I wouldn’t mind replacing with a compact 1u option)
  • Logic

These are less important to me but I’d certainly consider them:

• Wavefolder
  • Toggleable mutes
2 Likes

+1 for a four step sequential switch. Seems perfect.

I think there are some other companies making logic 1Us.

A phase-shiftable, skewable (saw to triangle to ramp) triangle core LFO (that goes into audio rate of course ;))

6 Likes

re: sequential switches

These seem like bread and butter utilities but I honestly rarely see them being used in patches. To me they seem like something that’ll would be cool but are not as useful as a morphing/xfade circuit.

Can someone post examples of these being used musically? Am I missing the point?

We have definitely discussed making them in 1U and it would be quick to do. I am just genuinely curious how much they would actually be used.

1 Like

Looks sweet! VCO in 1U certainly doable. If this was digital then all the controls are easy to implement. If analogue it is a different story.Phase shifting (like on the Joranalogue VCO) is totally doable too but that uses a lot of parts. Skew can be done with feedback but I would not consider this an essential control for analog (on digital it would be more powerful).

This would actually be a pretty serious module and much better as 3U imho.

3 Likes

VCO in 1U certainly doable.

[makes puppy-dog eyes]
Pretty please? Pretty please with sprinkles on? :cupcake:
:rofl:

2 Likes

Here’s a simplified example of how I often use a sequential switch:

Used this way, you can individually trigger elements on different beats, effectively becoming a compact sequencer. The patch is pretty simple but it works like this: clock from Noise Tools, Voltage in from Duatt to act as a gate, triggers out on 1-3-5-7 to different inputs on the Bitbox.

You could mult the clock instead of using voltage from the att. and I feel like there’s some switches out there that’ll gate by default. Obviously, there are a lot of other ways to use a switch but I use it this way to create a basic beat pretty often. I’d even call it my core sequencer. Sometimes I do use other steps, so 8 is nice but I very often only use 1-3-5-7 so 4 would be enough for me to pick 1 or 2 up.

Things can get more interesting with logic, probability modules, etc.

Edit:
Here’s another example going the other way which I do use sometimes. This is a semi-predictable CV pattern created by sending 2 LFOs and 2 Rands, all on different clock divisions, through the switch into Plaits

1 Like

Something I’ve been searching for is a guitar Pre-amp. I’m aware that there’s a few options already but they’re not quite what I had in mind. The ‘Line in 1u’ would work but it isn’t quite suited for guitar signals. The ‘Pedal IO 1u’ is a bit wide for the simple functionality of bumping up a guitar signal. The ideal ‘Guitar Line In 1U’ module for me would have the following specs.

• 1/4 inch input jack
  • 3.5mm output jack
  • Hi Z input
  • Some kind of built in gain feature perhaps slightly overdriving past 3 O’Clock
  • No Larger than 10hp (so very similar to the Line in 1u)
  • A gnarly graphic of the Intellijel robot playing a guitar!

I’ve pretty much filled my 1u row in my 7u 104 case and I really don’t want to replace any of these awesome modules with something bigger that has this functionality. I built my case with the idea that it is my entire studio in one case, interface (ES-9), effects, synths etc. The only problem I have yet to solve is this guitar Pre-amp one, once I have that my case will be my pedalboard and amp too!

1 Like

Two channel expression pedal interface

I would like to produce gates and triggers from a sustain pedal and I would like to produce a constant from an expression pedal. Connects to the 1/4" I/O on all intellijel cases.

1 Like