1U modules wishlist

Anyone seen the nonlinearciruits 1U Sloths?

You can get all three Sloths in 1U for fairly cheap. I like it a lot.

3 Likes

Definitely seen this and definitely getting one. They come in three timing versions. Which to choose???

1U Octave Switcher would be STELLAR. Essentially like the octave knob on the Atlantis. One input. One output. Cheers!

Shakmat have got you covered: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/shakmat-modular-tessitura-tailor

2 Likes

Second this. Multi mono input stereo out panning mixer. 4 channels great, 2 would still be useful. I would get one without any cv control, but obviously cv panning would be a plus. Wouldn’t need cv mixing, audio only and appropriate pan law…

Keep thinking a really useful 1U would be a hella hella basic midi clock to pulse/trigger with divisions & multiplications (basically using the midi in on the 7U cases or the new Palette jam).
Similar to the Midi 1U but all clock based. I have a midi port hangin’ out on my second case waiting for a fun new module. Cheers, fam!

3 Likes

I can see a Clock Tools or Clock Master module being really useful. It would be great if it could function standalone or sync to a MIDI clock. Maybe a knob that acts as BPM, or a clock divider if there’s a clock input detected.

2 Likes

Exactly @ScottMFR ! BPM knob for master tempo, perhaps a tap tempo button too. Maybe even a Midi clock out for the output jack on the case? Clock Tools yes please. :star_struck:

On this line of thinking, I had previously mentioned uMidi expanders for adding midi voices…

What if there was essentially a “new uMidi 1u” that was separated into several 6-10hp 1u modules interconnected behind the panel…
Like,
Clock section(outputs clock, div, reset, run, start, stop)
Voice section(outputs V/Oct, trig, gate, velocity, aftertouch?)
Modulation section(outputs 4x assignable CC jacks, learn button)

Maybe a master clock section too with CV clock control and luxurious syncing options?

Details i just came up with on the spot here very quickly. But… you could then assemble your own perfect subset of midi controls with as many voices or modulation as you need

3 Likes

Hello, very new here. I’m relatively new to modular, but I’ve been a performing musician for a long time.
I’ve been spending some time with the 104HP case, and some things come to mind.

TL;DR - My dream case would have room for a 1U midi, steppy, audio/IO, headphones out AND an quadratt all together in that 1U, and that just can’t happen right now. They are all things that I think make sense in that particular space. The quadratt seems brilliant - it’s a mult, it’s a mixer, it’s an attenuverter, it’s a D/C offset generator, you can use it as a mult - and for whatever reason, that’s the one I sacrificed, mostly because I felt a need to run both the headphones module as well as the audio I/O.

Right now, I’m running USB power, steppy 1u, umidi, buffered mult, Audio I/O, and headphones in my 1U of space. Out of all of these, the uMidi is the one that I am most ambivalent about, although I’ve been playing with the idea of losing the headphone amp and just dealing with that via other means.

I think what would make me happiest right now is more functionality from the uMidi - In particular, multi-channel ability combined with the ability to override what some of the uMidi ports do, as they are fairly limited at the moment. Close to what cackland mentioned much further above, it seems like something where you could override any of the “out” ports to be CCs, or to be multiple gates/triggers tied to individual channels - this would be really good for some midi control surfaces or apps that aren’t actually outputting any pitch voltage, and turns it from a module that I’m considering replacing to one that’s indisposable. I can think of a TON of things I’d love to use to send midi controls - the aforementioned keystep, an octatrack/digitone/digitakt, a bunch of virtual slides - The list goes on. A lot of these don’t make sense to use with the uMidi at present.

Specific to my use, I find that I rarely need both a gate AND trigger AND all the CCs for a single channel, whereas I find myself really wanting another channel with a basic cv/gate out more often than not. I’d like to think that all of this could be addressable via firmware (outside of labeling, which many of us are used to not always reflecting the truth when it comes to midi). Without that extra functionality, I find myself questioning if I’m better served by another module in its place, as it’s a lot of wasted space if you aren’t using it fully - space that could go to so many of the other useful 1Us.

I generally prefer simple modules, and this is a lot of complexity once your start having a module that can do so much, but midi is probably the right place for this sort of flexibility, given the myriad of use cases.

Probably the best alternative use for the midi ports for me would be to have the option for something like steppy to handle a midi-in clock from the existing midi-thru, or to otherwise have a simple clock module that handles midi clock in, with the other two midi ports on the case possibly being used as just midi thrus or divided clocks.

As it is right now, I’m not seeing as much use from this as I’d like, so I’ve been playing with the idea of adapting these ports to work with a disting as well, which I see others have done.

But enough about uMidi - As far as other modules go, I use Steppy 1u, and I find it awfully close to perfect for a 1u gate sequencer. The one thing I would love to see is per TRIGGER probability, but that’s a nitpick - For what this is and the space it takes up, I’m extremely happy with it. Probably my favorite of the 1Us.

Agree with others that a simple single clock generator / LFO would be great. I see requests for both, combining them seems like a really good use for a small module, and a place where it makes sense to have a multi-function module.

There are a lot of other small modules I’d like to see as well, but I’m also I’m trying to avoid the trap of “making everything potentially useful a 1U” here, it’s a temptation that’s easy to fall into, and I also understand that any space savings there comes at the expense of power connections - unless you have a power interconnect specifically for small power draw modules to chain off of each other. Generally, our other option is to use a flying bus cable or similar if we start packing modules in there anyways - I have 5 powered 1U modules as it is, and that’s a significant chunk of the power connections available directly from within the case.

Out of all other the great ideas mentioned above, the switches, mutes, and gates are ALL things I’d love to see and make a ton of sense for a performance oriented case, and like others, I feel like splitting the audio in / audio out would also be helpful, but what would be more helpful would be to shrink it down and/or combine it with the headphone module. That would be awesome. My dream case would have room for a 1U midi, steppy, audio/IO, headphones out AND an quadratt – and I feel like that could be accomplished with just a bit of space optimization, you just need to find 8HP to free up between all of those. “Only” 8HP. :slight_smile:

Along the lines of smaller modules that could fill in some gaps for people, maybe you could stick a 1->3 mult on there somewhere if you were feeling sassy - Any of the sections of the mutable links/kinks are things I would appreciate having available, and each section is approximately the size of a 6HP 1U, so there’s already some design out there that would fit… I’d rather have something providing that sort of functionality there than the USB power I stuck there just out of wanting to put something where I had 8U of blank space.

3 Likes

So on some digging, I see that there are several things good already happening that I didn’t know about!

The soon-to-be-released and already-documented Audio Jacks Rev2 really helps out, especially in conjunction with Mixups, and I see that there are separate stereo ins/outs modules planned as well. So that pretty much addresses any form of audio I/O or pedal I/O most people would need in the 1U format, and makes things super flexible. I’m eagerly anticipating this.

1 Like

Proud owner of two 104 performance cases, having some 1U space to cover…
From my perspective utility modules are paradise in 1U as hyper practical & efficient.
Logically speaking (hehe), logic / switch modules would be killer and add intellijence (HAHA!!).
Jokes aside, it would make soo much sense and I would be one of the first ones buying and enjoying.

Guys @ Intellijel…pleeease.

2 Likes

Would love a 1u compressor module. Single knob style with Wet/Dry for parallel compression. Would be amazing for end of chain before going to the line out 1u.

With the release of the Palette cases 1U space is at even more of a premium. There are two modules in particular that I would love to see trimmed down versions of:

1. A simple clock alternative to Noise Tools. Steppy 1U and Noise Tools is a popular combo, but it leaves little room for anything else. I realize Noise Tools has other functions (I have one and love it), but if you only need a clock there isn’t a small 1U option. I could see a Clock module having a single knob, maybe a speed switch and four outputs. Perhaps x1, x4, /4, and /16

2. A smaller alternative to Quadratt. The new Triplatt in a 1U format could shave off just enough hp to have more options. Even a “Duplatt” would be great. Perhaps with a switch for each channel to either have the knob function as an attenuator or add an offset to what’s plugged in.

As for the rest of my wishlist, I’ll second a small function generator with a cycling switch, a small logic module, a compressor, and distortion.

Thanks for considering my requests. Can’t wait to see what you have in the pipeline!

4 Likes

@Danjel can’t wait for the LPG!! How many hp? And any eta?

1 Like

I know it’s been covered in other form (i.e. Quadratt 1U) but i think a smaller format Mixer around 14hp would be very cool. Due to compacity maybe some kind of a mix between a Mixer and a Switch ?

Also maybe another Midi I/O with 6xCV, 4xGate in +/- 18hp form factor to be used with the new Palette case ?

1 Like

A version of Scales in 1U would rule (would be a wide one though hmmmm).
Whenever I have a Moog Mother 32 racked in the case, it’s always stellar to be able to play notes along with whatever generative stuff is cookin.

Hi! A 1U clock divider would be super useful. I find myself using Pams in my 7u 84hp more for LFO utilities and it would be fun to just send a master clock out to a little 1U tile for some divisions :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 for the 1U clock divider. Preferably inside of 14hp. That’s all the 1U space I have left. :laughing:

2 Likes

This is in intellijel format:

1 Like