What gear is Intellijel gear inspired by?

I’m relatively new to modular. I’m from the East Coast and perhaps as a result I am more familiar with the lineage descending from Moog. I’m just starting to dig into the Buchla lineage and I feel like I’m seeing parallels between Buchla module design and some of Intellijel’s. Anyone have any input? I know the Atlantis and Metropolis were inspired by Roland gear. Just curious. Thanks!

1 Like

Definitely from all sorts of places, especially devices used in a lot of classic techno music. The original Quadra was inspired by the Buchla 281, though it used a different circuit and had a variable curve shape.

2 Likes

OK that makes sense regarding Quadrax. The 281 is the very module that prompted me to post this!

If you’re interested in learning more about Danjel’s background and design philosophy, he did interviews with Perfect Circuit and Podular Modcast fairly recently.

5 Likes

Thank you, I had seen the Perfect Circuit interview, and after seeing this I listened to the Podular Modcast interview, that podcast is amazing! I subscribed and will be going through their archive now. :blush:

2 Likes

If you haven’t found it already, Why We Bleep is also great. That’s courtesy of Mylar Melodies. He has a really good interview with Adrian Utley from Portishead.

2 Likes

If we’re on the topic of podcasts, Jamie Lidell’s Hanging Out With Audiophiles is always a total delight.

3 Likes

@Danjel That Jolly Day Jam at the end of Podular Modcast (around 1hour 18min into it) was really enjoyable. I would favorably compare it with Raymond Scott or even Mort Garson (specifically plantasia). Got any more where that one came from? Or even a place where I can download that track without the rest of the show?

Oh, and I guess we can add to the list:

• Atlantis > Roland SH-101
  • Metropolis > Roland 100M RYK M185

A few more:

• Morgasmitron > MS-20 filter
  • Planar > VCS3 Joystick
  • Polaris Filter > Polaris Missile
  • Quadra > Buchla 280

If I recall correctly that one is because the basis for the filter is pole mixing, and Polaris is the north star, North Pole… etc.

1 Like

Ahhhh, I figured if I gave a facetious answer, I might get an honest correction. Thank you for that. :crazy_face:

The Korgasmatron I and II were derived from the MS-20 dual filter.
However…Contrary to popular belief, the Morgasmatron is the Eurorack version of this:

Actually… the quote in the description actually applies to all of Intellijel’s amazing filters:
‘According to The Guardian , the device induces “a heavenly, tingling sensation”.’
:crazy_face:

5 Likes

Yes, correct

3 Likes

Yep, I can see how this happened.