Using Maths to change the octave on Scales

I looked at the Scales manual for the Shift input, but am a little confused. I’m running my Mimetic Digitalis into Scales and then on into my DPO 1v/o input.

Should it be possible to use channel 2/3 on Maths to shift the octave up or down using the Shift input on Scales? I know it will not be a true octave shift because it wont be in 1v increments, but i’m looking to not have to purchase a new module, and just use what I have.

Yes, this is possible. It will depend on your settings in the CONFIG menu on Scales. I’m assuming you’re using OUT A to DPO, so you would want to make sure the SHIFT target is set to OUT A.

Also, because Maths channels 2 and 3 either provide a fixed voltage, or attenuvert an incoming signal, you’ll have to adjust the knob until it’s shifting by an octave. If you want to provide a dynamic change in octave range bouncing from one octave to another, you would have to use a sustained gate. So when the gate is held it jumps up an octave, and when the gate is released it returns to normal.

Hope that makes sense!

2 Likes

This is great. Now I am thinking about all the ways I can use my Pams to adjust the Shift input!

2 Likes

If you’re using Pam’s New Workout and not the original, remember that you can change the level in Pam’s and don’t need maths. It’s a maximum of 5v so it seems like setting it to 20% would give you 1v exactly.

3 Likes

Gonna try this tonight! Thanks!

You’d need a gate for a 1V square in PNW, right?
Or is there a way to have PNW output a static voltage?

Well since OP brought up PNW in the first place I assume he wants the octave shift gated :slight_smile:

But yeah, if you set a channel’s division to On, it will be a static voltage.

1 Like

Thanks, I didn’t know that.

I have been using it for a while now. PNW gated and static. It works great!