ųFold Symmetry

I recently got a ųFold 2 and stumbled over an interesting behavior that if I think about makes sense but that I still want to ask some questions about. Say you feed the module an unattenuated sine from Dixie, leave the Fold control in a slightly minimal position and then play with the symmetry control (by hand or modulated at LFO rates) over it’s whole range, will you reach points where you have almost no sound? Is this because the output voltage becomes so biased that it’s almost constant?

I’m curious about the technical reasons behind this too. I have a Tip Top folder and it has the same behavior. According to their manual “this is normal and is part of the circuit behavior”, but I can’t find an explanation of why. All I know is that sending audio-rate modulation into the symmetry (Tip Tip calls it “Inject”) input yields some intense results :slight_smile:

It’s good to know this behavior is normal. I also skimmed through the Intellijel manual and while there were lines regarding audio rate modulation, I didn’t read anything that might explain the CV modulation part. I guess having an oscilloscope might offer better explanations as to what actually happens on an electrical level. I still presume the input signal is offset to the point where on an oscilloscope the output waveshape would look almost like a straight line.

The way Tiptop describes the behavior as dead zones seems on point to me.

I think at these dead zones the waveform is folded to the point of being an inaudible DC signal. Using the µFold in parallel is a good way to keep the full bandwidth of the original signal with the crinkly texture of the folded signal.

1 Like