Tips on removing ribbon cables from 4u Palette Power Connectors

I have what is probably a silly question but any tips on how to pull the cable out safely? I’m about to swap some modules out and I’m having a hard time getting a grip on the headers. Should I be using a tool? I imagine it’s not ok to pull them out by pulling from the ribbon cable itself lol. Maybe I’m being too careful?

1 Like

Best thing to do is just leave the cables plugged in and unplug them from the modules.

1 Like

Thanks. I actually just ended up getting a good grip on the cable at the header and gently but firmly pulled and was able to get them out. I think I was just being timid. Installing the Quad VCA now!

I used small pliers.

1 Like

Put the Quad VCA in last night with a Plaits and ended up in a 2 and a half hour jam until 4 in the morning. I can’t even believe what happened. I started off with this really strange “multi-meter” beat using the rotating input on the RCD and eventually ended up for about an hour on this insane sounding arabic alien horn player going on some free jazz like rant that I let run and it still kept spitting out crazy new sounds. I had to actually just turn the system off to get it to stop. I’m so in love. it’s literally like jamming with aliens.

1 Like

If you want to make it easier to access the bus board you can also remove the top rail as shown in this video. If you order a few extra ribbon cables that you can leave connected it makes swapping out modules much easier!

1 Like

@kamil similar question—is it safe (or remotely advisable) to leave an orphaned ribbon cable plugged into the palette bus board, indefinitely? I am swapping 2 modules into my palette where there were previously 3 modules, can I just leave that extra cable in there, attached to the bus board and floating around on the other end? Otherwise I may have another project to remove all/many of the other modules to be able to better access that orphaned cable and remove it from the bus board.

Yes it’s safe to do that, most of my cases are this way. The conductors of the cable are inside the plastic connector so there shouldn’t really be any danger of anything shorting out.

2 Likes

OK cool, thanks Kamil!