Tete Self-Patching: Pressure

I just wanted to share a Tete patch that I have been enjoying. Apologies if anyone already knows this, I couldn’t find a reference to it on this forum or YouTube.

In Voltages mode:

• Set CV out A or B to Pressure
  • Set one of the X, Y or Z CV inputs to control Slew
  • Self-patch from that Pressure CV output back to that Slew CV input
  • Set Slew high (maybe max?)
  • Lower the CV input attenuverter to its negative range, setting the depth to taste (maybe all the way?)

This has had a lot more utility and expressivity than I had anticipated. Fun discoveries so far:

• It is difficult to touch each pad exactly the same way every time… but this is a good thing! It makes for really nice natural organic CV modulation when performing on the Tetrapad as the initial slew is always a little different.

• Tapping the pads gently causes this glacial morph to the target voltage bank. The outputs slowly gravitate/drift towards their latest target as if gliding on a flat frictionless surface. Just use more force when you want more immediate results or you get impatient.

• With one finger you can let the Tetrapad CV banks slew to the target CV slowly for a musical transition/drop/fill/build-up: lightly press-and-hold at first, then pushing harder on the same target when you want it to accelerate/get to the target CV faster and/or line up with the next musical section

• Zero out one bank, then go back and forth between that bank and a neighbor bank on the same pad with one finger creating 8 dynamic envelopes (this would probably work well in Combo mode, too)

• This patch/configuration is compatible with the “granular CV” behavior you can get from Loopy. You have to press hard on the banks to get fast transitions, but they play back just fine with this self-patched Pressure behavior.

• High slew and pressure reducing the slew has advantages over the inversion of those settings (i.e. slew set to zero, open attenuation). It avoids the limitation of the discontinuity in the pressure CV output when you switch between the four pads:
    — The initial high slew allows you to lift and drop your finger kind of paving over the discontinuity with slewed CV outs.
    — Faster/harder presses instantly trigger an abrupt drop in slew rate to zero, whose CV output seems sharp/sharp enough to trigger other modules and sounds like gate modulation in practice, despite an initial higher slew from the discontinuity.

p.s. Thanks to Wes @slowwild for the epic Tete Walkthrough on YouTube. I have watched it a lot and its influence is definitely manifesting in this patch. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

deep patch! love it!

2 Likes