Stereo Mixer 1U

I feel like I’m missing something obvious but can someone explain this “using a rear connector, you can chain multiple Stereo Mixer 1U’s together into a hidden 3rd stereo channel without using up channels on the front panel.” section of the product description?

Hi there, The rear chain connectors are 3-pin format. The IN accepts a signal and includes it in the mix OUT. “Hidden” because it does not use up any jacks on the front of either module, and the module accepting the IN signal does not have a gain control for the included channel. The intellijel manuals are exceptionally good, btw :slight_smile:

Hi all, just received a 1U Stereo Mixer and I’m seeing some behaviour I don’t quite understand. This could well be a lack of knowledge on my part regarding the module itself, or even a misunderstanding about how stereo vs mono signals work, so bear with me :sweat_smile:

I have the module connected directly to a pair of 1/4" outputs on my 104hp palette case via the chain out. I understand from the manual that for each pair of stereo inputs, the L jack is normalled to the R. No problem there. My confusion is that I assumed I would be able to have two different mono signals plugged into a single stereo pair and they would be (unity gain?) summed together, i.e. one oscillator into 1L and a different oscillator into 1R.

This does work, but only if I have the signal going into 1R loosely patched. If I fully insert a cable into 1R I only hear the signal coming into 1L. Is this expected behaviour?

Hear out of which output channel?

FWIW, loosely plugging into a jack with a normal can result in shorting the two signals together - just like if you plugged the output of two modules into the same input using a stacking cable. Depending on the output circuitry of the modules involved, this will work as a mixer to varying levels of effectiveness.

Doing this will result in one oscillator in the left channel of the output, and one channel in the right.

Thanks for the reply @al2o3cr. If I’m understanding your reply then it appears something is wrong with the module. I’ll rephrase the issue in case my original post was unclear:

Assume I have the Stereo Mixer attached to 1/4" audio jacks 1 and 2 on the palette via the chain output

The behaviour I was curious about is what happens when I connect two different audio sources to 1L and 1R. I expected to hear the two sources summed to mono out of audio jack 1, but that’s not the case. The audio signal going into 1R doesn’t appear at either of the 1/4" outputs.

I believe you’re expecting the reverse of the actual normal behavior: plugging in a source to In L while leaving In R unpatched results in your source normalled to both Mix L and Mix R. As soon as you patch a source into In R, the normal is broken and your new In R source is fed directly to Mix R.

1 Like

Thanks @timsss! I did figure it out eventually thanks to some clarification from Charlie at Intellijel.