Steppy 1U

What Kamil is referring to is the length of the trigger from FLXS, not the voltage. If it is staying high too long then Steppy would remain Reset while that trigger is high.

On steppy when a Trig comes into the RST jack, it sets a flag to reset on the next clock pulse. So you actually want to send it the Reset trigger on the last step. and when the next clock hits, it will be on step one.

If you want to sync with Pams’ Run Button, Pam’s can be configured to send a pulse when Pams is stops, this works well to reset steppy and keep it in sync with the Run button.

Ok, that makes sense. I’ve been sending the reset on step one, so that is probably resulting in it being off. I will try to set it up on the last step. With Pam’s, i know the step up option in the modifier. That works when i start the sequence, and it keeps everything in time.

But I wanted to see if there is an option on Pams that could send a reset every 16 beats, for instance. That is what I’m trying to achieve, as that would allow me to play around with clock settings and pattern changes on FLXS and still have everything be in time. Not the end of the world, but wanted to see if that is an option. Thanks!

Thats strange. I use Pam’s to clock and reset Steppy on the 1. I have a 16th note clock into Steppy’s clock-in, and a /8 clock from another Pam channel into Steppy reset. Settings on Pam are all defaults, so it’s definitely resetting on the 1. I’ll take a closer look when I get a chance.

I don’t what I was smoking but firing a reset on the 1 definitely does not work! It causes Steppy to spaz out a bit, actually. Anyway if you want to reset while clocks are running…with Pam’s, the simple fix is to set the phase of your clock pulse to around 50%, keep the reset firing on the 1 as usual. Or you can use the gate delay feature to do the same thing. The downside to this is that it pushes steppy out of time with other clocks, so you’ll have to see if that’s manageable or not. I don’t know if you can set Pam to send a gate just before 1?

Last reply to myself :grin: I rewatched Chris Meyer’s video on syncing and it helped me understand it some more. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-UzD3jvM80. So try the OR trick. I don’t have a free logic module so I’ll try to tighten up Pam’s as much as possible. @slowwild Do you think it’s possible to change the reset behavior to be more like Grids, where it looks to the clock to see if it’s high when the reset hits? The Pam’s stop trick works but I am always messing with pattern lengths during my set so I need it to reset tightly while playing.

I’ll put this on the list of updates for Steppy, we’ll see when we can squeeze in some time to review it.

Thanks Wes! I know of another manufacturer whose reset also looks within a time range, so if the clock pulse happens with X milliseconds of the reset, it assumes its the downbeat. Helps with sloppy timing. For my use case I’d be sending everything from Pam’s so I assume the clock and reset would be at the exact same time.

I‘ve been using Steppy for a while now and I find it extremely useful and easy to use. One thing I‘m missing though is a way to switch patterns quickly. Like, what if there was a mode that would jumpt to a random pattern or to the next pattern every time a reset is received? Maybe something you could add in a future firmware update.

Also: loopy mode is awesome but why is it reset after a power cycle? Would be great if the state was saved with the preset.

2 Likes

Any updates on when Steppy 1u will be sold? Really itching to pick one up!

Also those palette cases daaaaamn!

Jesse is testing them next to me right now, expect restocks in stores very soon. :slight_smile:

Steppy 1U is back in stock on the web store!

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the answer is ‘no’ since I’ve read the manual and dug around a bit already, but just in case I missed it:

Is there any way to set individual gate lengths within a pattern (ie: per step)?

Seems to be just the overall length for the pattern or all patterns. Thanks in advance!

You are right, it’s currently per-track. Was in a list for possible feature updates, but the UI is pretty packed, so we’ll see.

Thanks for confirmation. UI is definitely packed & I haven’t used enough of the deeper functions to have a good idea of a possible workaround, but it would be at the top of my wishlist.

1 Like

Playing with the Reset Timing on Steppy today (sorry for the delay), I’ve reviewed the code and it’s setup to Reset Immediately if it get a gate at the same time as a Clock Pulse, and on the next step if they don’t align).

I noticed in the video that the RESET on Steppy is held HIGH (you can see the RST LED) when the flxs is stopped, which means it’s got to drop before it goes back up to trigger the reset, which will make it stutter. I’m not sure what kind of behaviour this is from the flxs1, we don’t have one of those here (or a pams for that matter).

I’ve tested the behaviour with the Circadian Rhythms, another steppy and a multed/divided clock, all of them work as expected, the first step triggers once when it gets the reset pulse aligned with the clock.

On your Flxs, try using another channel’s gate/trig output to reset rather than a CV Channel.

If you have a non-pams clock source externally driving pams and Steppy, then the Pams outputs may have a sub-ms delay that could cause the reset to drag 1 step. But pam’s should also work if you are using one of the 8 outputs to clock Steppy and another to handle resets. I’ll see if we can find one to confirm this.

1 Like

any idea when these will be back in stock? sadly, can’t find one anywhere.

1 Like

Any updates on this?

still out of stock over here in the uk at least