Shapeshifter - what happened to the harmonic series?

Hi there! I’m trying to figure out if I’m losing my mind or if something happened with the Shapeshifter 2.x firmware updates.

I’m almost certain that OSC 2, when you pressed the Quant button, would produce frequencies at integer ratios of OSC 1. E.g. 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, 4:1, etc. It would produce the harmonic series.

Now it seems like it skips a lot of the ratios. For example, tune OSC 1 to a “C” note. Turn on Quant (single press) and monitor OSC 2 while turning the Ratio knob. I would expect to hear notes from OSC 2: C G C E G Bb C, etc with additional scale notes being added as the octaves increase. But no matter how far I turn the knob up through the octaves, all I hear now are C E and G notes.

Did something happen here?

Edit: to help clarify, here’s a recording. The first sequence is from my ER-301 with it changing the frequency of an oscillator in rational intervals, 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, etc. up to around 24:1. After the brief silence is what the Shapeshifter is doing to OSC 2 as I turn the quantized ratio knob now.

(Watch your volume/ears. :wink: )
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArVvnEREGK0vhfUW7HDMh1c4Br0vpg?e=BfRBzI

Hm I’m not aware of any such changes, @Cylonix would know

Quantized ratios of a note like the ones you’re referencing do not always hit the notes in 12 tone equal temperament. Also, you would not hear C G C E G Bb C with the ratios in the manual which are “1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 1, 5/4, 3/2, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8.”.

1 Like

Thank you. I didn’t realize the actual stops were called out in the manual. So it’s definitely not following the x:1 pattern then.

Also, true about not hitting the 12 tone equal temperament notes exactly, but the first few octaves of the harmonic series come pretty close to 12TET scale notes.

Still, I was thinking there used to be a lot more scale intervals that I could hear in the ratio knob, other than close approximations to C E G when OSC 1 is tuned to a C. Is my memory bad or did these ratios change in v2.x?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad (or good) news. V1 of the manual has the same ratios.

1 Like

Well, thanks for helping me clear it up! I must be remembering something wrong.

1 Like