Scales

0V will still give you a C note, 0 V output as opposed to shifting up to a D, 0.166 V output.

OK thanks. Trying to figure out the best way to play with some classical players. When we switch keys, I’d like to have a simple way to make my oscillators play the root note of the new scale at 0V. Most of my stuff is improvised so I don’t use saved sequences. I suppose one of those Doepfer mini keyboard modules + the Scales output into a precision adder would do the trick. Or can I skip the adder and put the keyboard module into SHIFT on the Scales?

Yes I think shift should do what you need, if you set it to diatonic and then apply a shift input of one whole tone up from 0V.

Or the other option is to not change your scale root, and use chromatic shift, again with 1 whole tone.

Help!

I got my Scales now. Now im in SEQ mode. I was trying to record a sequence exactly as described in the manual as well as in that video.

However, when I push play, it’s not playbacked. the buttons don’t indicate there is a sequence playing in play mode. I think the problem is that the clock signal I put into TRIG IN is not in the shape as expected. I tried both a squarewave from an lfo as well as all kind of triggers coming from other modules. what could be wrong?

Hey, I just figured it out on my own. B->TRIG needs to be set in config mode first. Would be good if there was a note about that in the manual.

1 Like

This is SUCH an excellent module. Thank you! I have been through a lot of quantizers and I think I’ve found the one.

I hope this is an appropriate place for a feature request as I don’t see any dedicated thread.

I am wondering if in a future firmware update there could be an added option for OUT A/B sampling behaviour when in Sequencer mode…

Would it be possible, when in Sequencer mode, to completely “detach” OUT A’s sampling from the incoming clock (TRIG IN) that is driving the sequencer? That is, to have the main quantizer sample and update instantaneously, as if there were no cable patched to the TRIG IN.

When in Sequencer Mode, and set to B-TRIG in CONFIG, OUT A still updates/samples with the incoming triggers driving the sequencer.

The reason for this request is that the Sequencer will, likely the majority of the time, be fed a consistent clock signal. If one chooses to feed the quantizer a stepped voltage source, say a slower sequence, which does not precisely change at incoming clock pulses, sometimes the results are the quantizer sampling and outputting a new voltage a pulse behind the intended timing. Any discrepancies (latency) in timing between the external sequence and the TRIG IN clock can be very minimal of course ((jussst after the clock pulse) and produce this effect… minimal enough that the results of an instantaneous sampling function with these settings would be more than musically acceptable.

The ability to independently use the separate quantizer and sequencer at once in this fashion would be huge, and I’m not sure if its just me and my set up but I feel like this option would be useful to others.

Two ways I can think of allowing this behaviour.

1. Continuously sampling PITCH as there was nothing patched to TRIG
  2. Option to use SHIFT as a trigger source to update quantizer/OUT A when settings as described above, as opposed to being a reset for the sequencer.

To clarify, this is not regarding the module’s trigger output. I have it to B->TRIG in CONFIG so the sequencer’s gates are the only output from the TRIG OUT, which is what I want.

Right now, while in Sequencer mode, in the Config menu the Shift options are not used as the only option for the SHIFT input is RESET. Maybe it would work to allow the selection of other SHIFT options in the Config menu specific to sequencer mode.

You could have OUT B as the default Shift mode which resets the sequence.
OUT A allows you to use the Shift input to trigger quantization of A.
ROOT transposes the sequence and A using the Shift input like in regular quantizer modes.
Scale constrains the sequence to the selected notes and allows you to select different scales within the selected bank as in regular quantizer modes.

Not sure how possible this would be, but it might be cool to have these options instead of Reset from time to time.

2 Likes

That would be a great set of options for a sort of “Sequencer Mode Shift Menu”. Shouldn’t be too confusing to most if laid out in an addendum to the manual.

Tho option “OUT A allows you to use the Shift input to trigger quantization of A.” would pretty much make be perfect for my small live set up, and if perhaps one of the shift modes could be a complete detaching of OUT A quantizer from the TRIG IN (as if there was no cable plugged in at all, always reading the PITCH IN and updating) that would be extra awesome :slight_smile:

Thanks for the quick reply!

The biggest issue I have with assigning additional meaning to the menu options is that it becomes confusing if you are not aware of them and accidentally activate them. Suddenly your module is behaving differently then before and you don’t know why, and then you have to go hunting in the manual to try to figure it out.

3 Likes

Thanks for the ideas!

A lot of care and thought was put into the sequencer options. And since Scales is primarily a quantizer, we built the sequencer to be as simple and unintrusive as possible. Any changes would be strictly tied to sequencer use. It’s software so, anything is doable, but there is a lot of bad software out there haha.

I have some ideas of how to implement separate trigger handling for the Sequencer, but it would require some significant changes.

All that said, I’ll put it on the list for consideration.

2 Likes

Thanks for the consideration. Definitely bought it for the quantizing, and only after I took it home realized how powerful it can be for my smaller live case when using the internal sequencer.

Synth voice 1 - Scales Sequencer
Synth voice 2 - Turing Machine through OUT A quantizer (This is where the very small discrepancies with timing occur).

Really, that’s a lot of sequencing power in 18hp!

Last additional request :grimacing: … When loading a sequence, would it be possible to select the next sequence you want, then have Scales wait until the end of the current sequence to launch the next? (not sure if this would work with the software but hey worth asking :stuck_out_tongue: )

Thaaaankssssss! Again, killer module.

2 Likes

Is it possible that Scales could be set up as a CV/Gate recorder instead of the SH style sequencing? - in theory, all that is required is the Trig input for clocking, the Shift can stay as Reset - then you can simply reset at the desired sequence lengths for different time divisions etc. Maybe a slewed/smoothed CV B output?

This would be amazing on top of the internal quantization settings being applied - instant CV/trig patterns that could be reset at will instead of the slower SH style sequencing/playback.

Just an idea if the module could be set up this way, I feel it would be an instant purchase - as there don’t appear to be many CV/gate recorders w/ built in quantization.

Edit: Upon reading this - I forgot we would still need the Gate record input, which appears it wouldn’t be possible here…

1 Like

A little suggestion : In INTRVL mode, could it be possible to have this behavior for C note :

• No light = same as the root note
  • Green = 1 octave up
  • Red = 1 octave down

I think this could be an easy and interesting functionality to implement in a next firmware version :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Not a bad idea, I will put it on the wishlist for consideration.

1 Like

Hey everyone, I hope this is the right thread to post my question.

I’m thinking about getting Scales as my first quantizer and I’d like to have a couple of clarifications on how I can use it.

1. Am I able to define a few custom scales and make Scales switch between them, with a cv input? For example I would like to generate a few arpeggios in different keys, and have them played one after the other, like simple arp progressions.

2. I see that Scales has two outputs and one of them can also act as a sequencer or as a second quantizer. Is there a way to link Out A and Out B so that Out A quantizes a custom scale and B quantizes the root note of that particular scale?

I’m thinking about using it so that one VCO plays arpeggios fed by Out A and another VCO plays the bassline fed by Out B and both VCOs stays in sync when switching between the various scales.

Yes, you can switch between different scales in a bank using CV.

I’m not sure I understand your question, quantizes the root note of that particular scale? Do you mean just have OUT B always output the root note of the currently selected scale?

1 Like

Yes, let’s say for example I have Out A outputting C, E, G, arpeggio while Out B automatically outputs C; then when I switch the scale, the OUT B changes accordingly.

If it can do that, it could be nice for feeding a bass sound with Out B.

1 Like

Currently there’s no way to do that. I think the best solution right now would be to use something else to sequence the root note, and feed that into the SHIFT input with the shift target set to ROOT. Then you can also send the same pitch to whatever else needs it.

2 Likes

I think this is possible depending on how you set up your triggers. It would work if you only trigger OUT B’s voice when the arp is playing the bottom note but have OUT A’s voice trigger with the other notes. Using an envelope or a SYNCed LFO would make this easier. So in your CEG example you would send a trig to voice B and to an envelope with a slow attack, and 3 faster trigs to voice A. It might work better to send the envelope trig after the Voice B trig. In this scenario the first note would always be the root note, but you wouldn’t be able to have the melodies overlap unless they’re both playing the root. This would let you use the SHIFT input to change scale or root via CV.

Another approach would be if you set them to DUAL mode and sent B a 0V signal it would just play the root note. The problem there would be that you’re using the SHIFT input for the second quantizer so you would have to change the root and scale manually.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll definitely get it and experiment with it :slight_smile: