Scales

isn’t that the expected behaviour for quantisers?

trig out is fired on note change, if there was no note change b/c the change in CV is too small from the previously held note to cause a note change, no trigger would be given.

using a copy of your input trigger to the quantiser to trigger your envelope (your ‘workaround’) is exactly what you would do to have a behaviour as you are looking for.

Not with Sequencer mode and Out B. Scales is designed to send a trigger out of Out B for every note in a sequence. (I’m starting to realize that most people don’t use Scales as a sequencer.) It’s randomly skipping triggers out when the note of my sequence changes. I’ve been in contact with Intellijel support and we’re trying to figure it out.

2 Likes

I noticed Scales appears to be unavailable for purchase pretty much across the board. Any word on a pending restock?

Bumping the question about the ETA of Scales. Any updates?

I’m guessing there’s a specialized IC or other critical component that you are unable to acquire, and you probably don’t know when you’re actually getting more, but I thought I’d ask anyway because you never know… :crossed_fingers:

They are being built as we speak by our factory. Once we receive them it will take a bit of time to program/calibrate but it should not be much longer. It was a long wait on these ones due to special parts shortages.

1 Like

Fantastic. That’s great news!

After waiting over a year, I finally got my Scales, and I’m happy to say it was worth the wait. As I’ve come to expect from Intellijel, it provides a surprising amount of functionality and somehow manages to make it intuitive even though there’s lots of modes and advanced features.

I do have one suggestion for the manual though. I was learning about SEQ mode and the first time I tried it, I had the “A > TRIG” config option enabled. This requires you to clock the sequencer through the pitch input instead of the trig input. I had no idea what was going on and couldn’t figure out why it wouldn’t play my recorded sequences. It seemed broken. I eventually gave up trying to figure it out, and read the rest of the manual. Towards the end I read about the clocking options and finally I understood why I couldn’t play back my recorded sequences.

So my suggestion is: at the beginning of the SEQ mode documentation, in the “Enter SEQ Mode” section where people are already in the config menu, please provide a warning about the “A > TRIG” behavior, and make sure people turn it off before they continue with the instructions. Probably a good idea to mention it in the “Playback a Sequence” section too, which indicates TRIG IN is all you need to clock it. I read that about 5 times thinking “am I missing something?”

I have a feature request too :slight_smile:
When playing back a sequence, if I enter root mode to transpose it, let us use the learn and config buttons to transpose up and down an octave. There’s no way to do that, right?

Regarding the Scales sequencer - is it possible to send a clock to the sequencer, but not have the sequencer send out a trigger every time it receives a clock pulse? I would like to have the sequencer play a note, and then not play anything for four beats, and then play another note. Is this possible? I saw there are a few different ways of clocking the sequencer, but none of them seemed to quite work this way.

Maybe a clearer way of saying this would be is there a way to program rests in scales that do no send a trigger?

Yes.

I just got my Scales and just setup this very thing. Give me a minute to sort out what I’ve got setup.

Edit:

• Config => set ‘A → Trig’ on.
  • Send clock/trig into ‘Pitch’
  • Patch ‘Out B’ to your 1V/OCT
  • Patch ‘TRIG’ output accordingly

I believe the explanation is that with ‘A → TRIG’ on, the ‘TRIG’ output only sends a trigger when the pitch changes on ‘OUT A’. So, if you have rests, the pitch isn’t changing on ‘OUT A’ and no trigger is sent.

Thanks! I’ll give it a shot. I think you can also do this by having B trig on, but I’ll have to test both of these out.