Rainmaker Feature Requests

I’m not sure if this is possible, but it would be great to be able to edit more than one tap at a time. Being able to edit all taps simultaneously in Edit mode is really helpful, but I don’t always want to edit all of them. However, I often want to edit more than one with same or mirrored settings. If you could hold down two or more tap buttons and edit them together at the same time this would be quite helpful. I was also thinking it would be useful if holding down a tap button would allow you to edit every multiple of that tap number. For example, holding tap 4 would allow you to edit 4, 8, 12, and 16 simultaneously. Holding tap 1 could maybe control all odd taps? I think this would help people create and alter patches more quickly, which would make it an even more power live performance tool. Pressing the encoder to toggle between a matched and mirrored editing mode would potentially be really helpful too.

I was also thinking it would be helpful if holding load and pressing clear provided a clear patch or reset to default command. The easiest way I can see to implement this would be to have this action load preset 1which could be saved with the user’s default settings.

4 Likes

Plonk style preset morphing would be awesome too. By that I mean Morph could be added as a Mod A/B destination, then once you select Morph, you select a preset number for morphing. The Mod knob would now have the settings of the current preset while fully CCW, and the Morph target preset when CW.

I imagine some parameters would have to be excluded to create smooth transitions, but sweeping between different filter levels, panning cut/q, comb# and time/size mod level/rate has some cool potential.

1 Like

Yes, i agree on these proposals :slight_smile:

I just thought of another one that might be cool, but I’m not sure if it’s possible.

Per tap Sample Rate Reduction! This could potentially be added as a new filter type, then Cut would control the sample rate. Of course the range would have to be tweaked if this parameter were selected. Q could perhaps control bit depth or some other related parameter.

so I reckon I should load preset 1 and clear that one tap in order to have an empty preset? There is no “initialize” button combination?

No, there’s no initialize feature at this point, so that would be a good workaround.

I absolutely love the sounds I’m hearing from Rainmaker on YouTube demos from mylarmelodies and others. I have an idea to make Rainmaker an even more powerful tool to push in to unexplored musical frontiers… first, a little background on the idea:

I’ve got a rack built around deliberately quantized microtonal scales (uTune quantizing Rene and even Metropolis after putting the pitch out through an attenuator, and ER-101). Modular is a great way to work with this because of the rapid ability to audition possible melodies and harmonies in a foreign tuning system. (There’s some great theoretical work behind alternative tunings, but not much of a body of recorded work to listen to. And yet it’s surprisingly easy to get great sounding stuff from shuffling Metropolis sliders or twiddling Rene’s knobs).

What would be really killer is if Rainmaker’s pitch shifts could be specified in cents rather than semitones, or if they could be quantized via external CV (or some such approach). This would enable building those wild cascading echos and harmonies, but characteristic to the given scale/tuning!

There are fantastic secrets hidden behind the veil of new tunings, and we don’t even have to raid Area 51 to get them : D

(I have some primitive microtonal recordings so far and some better ones coming soon, and I’m hoping to find people interested in the same… if you know any, send them over here for comment!)

You can shift taps of the Rainmaker by less than a semitone. If you push the PITCH SHIFT button a second time, it enters a PITCH DETUNE screen where you can apply a finer detune amount.

I think he’s referring to the Per-Tap pitch shifting rather than the Feedback Pitch shifting.

I am also referring to per-tap pitch shifting.

Oh wow… I totally forgot about that feature!

It’s really useful to thicken up taps that have the same amount of pitch shift.

Yeah I can see that being great with chord stacks…

It would be even more interesting to be able to set the randomness of the probability for each tap.

1 Like

I came here to request the same thing. Probability per tap would open up some pretty wonderful options. I’d use it in every patch.

I’ve always treated my Rainmaker as a sort of 16-step ‘texture sequencer’,’ using it to create sound environments that have a more or less rhythmic character. It’s brilliant at that, but I would really appreciate the option of less predictability in the way taps recur. Sometimes a patch/setting can sound incredible but I’ll abandon it because the repetition feels too obvious and closed (despite whatever applied modulations).

My wish list would be:

1. Mute probability, per tap.
  2. Volume randomization within a defined range, per tap

I think this would lead to rhythmic textures that feel more open and more unpredictably alive - sound fields that just keep evolving.

Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah that would be a nice addition. In the meantime you can set the TRIG to random and assign the randomize to Mutes or Level to randomize the taps and textures, albeit not in any constrained manner.