Power Supply - Instructions for daisy chaining multiple TPS Boards and connecting to Power Entry

Hi guys,

I’m building a DIY 11U (9U + 2x 1U) 126hp case for the studio. Total power draw is working out to be around 3A on 12V, and 1.2A on the -12V (0A on 5V). So 4.2A, with at least 30% free load = 6A.

I currently have:

• 2.5mm Power Entry
  • TPS30MAX Board
  • 90W Meanwell Brick (2.5mm jack)
  • 60W Meanwell Brick (2.1mm jack)

I’m trying to work out the best way to power this case with minimal wastage - ie. which parts could I utilise again?

Should I buy two new TPS80W Boards + another 90W Meanwell?

Or

Would I be better served buying ONE TPS80W, one more TPS30MAX, and another 60W Meanwell Supply? (90W meanwell to TPS80W, and 60W to 2x Daisy Chained TPS30MAXs).

Any other better solutions you could think of? Open to suggestions and solutions as I’m not the most experienced in this department :stuck_out_tongue:

Been scouring the forums, including modwiggler, but a lot of those discussions are flying over my head a little.

1 Like

At 126 HP you could quickly run out of power connectors in any given 3U row. I build 12U cases that are 104HP wide and typically use 1 large power distribution board per 3U row (4 total). Also, make sure you place the board in the center of the 3U channel - it is extremely frustrating to have to remove modules in other channels to reach available power connectors (somewhat of a problem with Intellijel cases, btw). I see several options:

1. (3) TPS80W MAX boards
  2. (6) TPS30W MAX boards
  3. (2) TPS30W MAX boards (use one you have already) and (2) TPS80W MAX boards

You can never have enough power…

Ideally you connect all boards in star patterns for +12V, -12V, GND to a single +15V/+18V supply. I use Acopian linear low noise power supplies, because the Meanwell bricks are quite noisy. As a matter of fact any low noise linear supply (usually meant for audio) with high enough current capability would be OK in this case.

I know this all sounds excessive, but in my experience one quickly runs out of a) case space, b) case power/connections. It’s a lot easier to put in the effort and $$ up front than try to retrofit it later.