Panels for the future?

I honestly like the current Intellijel panels, and the Tiptop panels, and the Make Noise panels. I understand this is an important decision, but I’ll very likely keep buying Intellijel modules, no matter which direction you go.

Although, while we’re on the topic of panels, there is one thing I like about the current Intellijel design language — everything is incredibly clear and obvious. It may make the modules appear less interesting than some of the wilder eurorack offerings, but it does mean they’re easier to use, and quicker to work with. That could definitely continue if they’re matte black PCBs though.

1 Like

Invariably, tastes will change with time, and sure, there is some “herd mentality” factor there. However, the whole notion of a modular format with some sort of compatibility standard, is that artists can mix and match components from different manufacturers to create whatever audio system they want or need. Subsequently, if manufacturers refuse to conform to a single aesthetic standard (boy, that ship has sailed), then everyone’s modular systems necessarily become more of a stylistic hodgepodge as they expand. Sure, there are those few that build single manufacturer systems, but they are obviously in the extreme minority, as are those that have the resources to manufacture their own custom panels.

Many don’t mind the clash of panel styles, but a good number of us (myself included) attempt to maintain some sort of visual continuity in order to at least create the sense of a single custom instrument. Because manufacturers have long since abandoned a single uniform panel style, the only hope for those of us chasing visual continuity is that manufacturers offer various panel options.

Offering panel options is clearly more expensive for the manufacturers. These days it seems that manufacturers can please most customers by simply offering a choice of black or white/light gray (2HP, Qu-Bit, Doepfer, EMW, Happy Nerding, Schlappi, Synth Tech). Some offset the expense by offering replacement panels at additional cost (4MS, XAOC). A precious few (ADDAC, Ladik) accept custom orders for almost any panel color, but again requiring an additional fee.

It isn’t about following the herd or jumping on the band wagon (for most of us).

I believe offering panel options is in the best spirit of modular, allowing customers to build a system that not only operates the way they want, but looks the way they want. Manufacturers that limit their panel options necessarily limit their customer base. Offering options doesn’t have to be more expensive for the manufacturer, as most customers don’t mind paying the extra fee for a replacement panel if it is important to them. Offering options does require some extra effort in logistics and bookkeeping, but expanding one’s customer base seems like it would be worth the trade off.

While that is true, the argument seems specious as it also applies just as much to white/gray panels. White Intellijel panels don’t match white NLC panels, either. Honestly, I don’t think most eurorack enthusiasts expect perfect uniformity. The vast majority requesting panel options are really just looking for a modicum of visual continuity in their eurorack systems.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

2 Likes

It does not apply “just as much to white/gray panels.” Aluminum panels are not white, even though some people call them that for the sake of simplicity at the cost of accuracy. Comparing them to white-painted PCB panels is a lot different than comparing black aluminum to black PCB.

I do admit that there are differences in the appearance of aluminum panels (not including the obvious difference of Whimsical Raps) - even comparing my Quadratt to my USB Power 1U or 2HP 1U blanks, there is a slight difference (Quadratt is more like Mutable, USB/blanks are more like Happy Nerding or Transient Modules). However, any color and/or texture differences are very small compared to the sharpness of the edges, a difference which is independent of color. With black panels, the differences in color and/or texture can be more pronounced, since color coatings come into play.

Obviously, none of this invalidates the desire for quasi-uniformity in the form of black panels. But to say the lack of uniformity is the same with aluminum panels is not true.

1 Like

I think because I lumped all white and gray panels together, I may have muddied my own point. I could have expressed myself better. That’s my bad.

I should have said something like:

I believe the non-uniformity among black panels applies just as much to [insert color here] panels. If you try to build a system with any single color panel scheme and you have modules from different manufacturers, then your eurorack system necessarily looks like a hodge-podge to some extent. Black panel systems are not unique in this regard. They don’t result in any less “uniformity” than an all white system. Therefore, I don’t think that Danjel’s assertion that “Making black panels does not guarantee any kind of uniformity” is a valid reason to not offer a black panel option.

1 Like

Agree. My pref is black metal like Erica or qubit. Only thing stopping me buying your modules. Planar 2 would be instant buy.

I’m fine with PCB panels, as long as it’s not that horrible, cheap looking, super glossy white PCB stuff like 4MS has taken to using. IDRC whether it’s silk-screened or whatever, but I’d still love a light/medium/dark option when buying modules.

Does anyone have the technical drawings dimensions for the planar 2 faceplate they wouldn’t mind sharing? Making a black faceplate and don’t want to mess it up!

I’m a huge fan of the monochrome / grayscale design on Metropolix (with just the tiny dots of colour on the logo) and in particular how the buttons go from art print to Rockefeller Center tree lighting when you turn it on. I think it’s pretty much perfect. For my money, its Intellijel’s best looking module and I would love to see a similar design language cascaded to the rest of the range either in refreshes or as updated panels. A matching Atlantis would kill.

No real preference on black panels. The OCD side of me gets that a lot of modular users feel compelled to try and achieve a consistent look and feel, but I kind of like having a patchwork of silver, black, white, grey and others. I really dislike PCB panels though. They feel brittle and cheap to me (not sure if that’s founded or not) and I’ve been put off buying modules where they are the only option.

So I’m curious now: Did Intellijel in fact at one point change their panels? I started buying Intellijel modules new in January, I have over a dozen of them, and the panels all look identical. Does that mean I have all “new” panels?

It’s very minor / subtle, but there are the occasional use of color on labels, outs, knobs and buttons on older modules (cf Plonk, Rubicon 2, Rainmaker) and Metropolix seems much starker / looks sleeker / more streamlined (to me at least). There was a panel update for Atlantis at some point, but not sure if others have occurred. Design has been pretty consistent with a possible gradual progress to plainer presentation in recent years I feel?

Yes, if you look at older modules like Azimuth, Dr Octature or Hex VCA you can see what the older panels looked like. They were a bit of a duller silver compared to the newer ones. The module name had a black border, and Intellijel was completely black without the red dots. They also show Intellijel Designs instead of just Intellijel, with designs in a black border alongside the robot logo. Some of the older ones often had blue or black lines to show signal flow or to separate sections. I’m not sure when the panel update was made, but it was at least 6 years ago.

If you go on modulargrid and add something like Rubicon 1, Dixie II, Linix, or Korgasmatron II to your rack, you can click the arrows to go through the various faceplate versions.

1 Like

So did the change that was the original topic of this thread ever happen? This thread was created in December 2018…?