Panels for the future?

Personally I would keep with the old aesthetic as close as possible. Black panels are cool. but I just bought a 2nd silver 104hp performance case. I don’t want to have to run out and buy stealth cases now :smiley:

1 Like

I have black PCB panels and don’t like them nearly as much as the black anodized aluminum panels. I would prefer the latter.

How about offering black replacement panels instead of complete modules at a nominal cost? Are they user-replaceable?

+1 for replacement panels!

+1 to black replacement panels if possible. I have a Steppy, Scales, Dixie II+, and Morgasmatron that I would all turn to black if such an option were available.

+1 for black panels or black replacement panels - especially for the 1U modules!

Also… I saw that WMD are switching to black aluminum panels - engraved instead of printed. They’re making them in-house and offering panel production for other companies. Maybe that’s an option too. ??? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UsqYjQeyJDQ&ebc=ANyPxKqc5QlZkf3Gk10tKT3HBvp4yKpniGOp3f1jdkO6eziw9ID33wKRHlTRg0xPpTnXeo6I8zND9c_dxv14WZQSwG7T9o1OuA

Ideally black or white panels options upon purchase (ala Noise Engineering, Qu-Bit, etc). If this is too much, then please offer black replacement panels.

1 Like

My 2c now that I have a 7u case and some Intellijel modules:

• I think it’d be great if the prints were sharper and colors more intense. I really like the intellijel aesthetic but it is somewhat let down in the flesh by the fuzzy printing.
  • I think black panels as an extra purchase would be popular, and I’d definitely buy them at least for the 1u row, mixup etc.

Any Quadrax and Tete panels you’ve seen are just prototype white PCB panels, very low quality and inexpensive.

Replacement panels can be ordered through the Support page, so if there was ever any change to the panels used you would definitely be able to order new ones.

https://intellijel.com/support/

1 Like

I’ve made quite a few custom modules with custom panels. I used 2mm black anodized aluminum, manufactured by Front Panel Express (expensive in small quantities, but unbelievably accurate and beautiful - top quality). Graphics were either white infill engravings or silkscreened graphics. Highly professional results, I would consider them a benchmark.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I do use PCB panels, but only as blank fillers. One of my questions about those pertains to noise shielding. Perhaps I’m mistaken, but I like having metal panels covering my metal 7U Performance Case and ground the whole lot. I sense that it would help with any EMI pickup.

When you mention PCB panels in my profession that referenced Print Circuit Boards.
If you are talking front panels, I’m guessing your usage of PCB means something else??
If so what?

If you are referring to some type of plastic, please keep in mind that Plastic scratches very easy and depending on the electronics used in the modules, especially IC electronics, that plastic is an insulator that can generate a significant ESD charge on it just from air flow especially in the Winter dry air.

This can damage some IC’s which can be damaged with as little as 20 volts. I’ve personally observed plastic panels that have generated over 10,000 volts with just air flow.
Parts can be damaged even without a discharge that you can feel.

For this reason I would highly recommend staying with Metal faceplates.

Personally I would really like to see all your modules offered in both White or light Grey backgrounds and Black backgrounds.

I have been reading many users wanting to see Black panels like myself and it seems that offering both choices would be an excellent selling point. I have even read where some users won’t use Intellijel products if they don’t come out with Black backgrounds.

Myself I am very interested in purchasing the Planar 2 but have been holding off waiting for the Black background.

Black with White, Silver, or especially Gokd lettering looks fantastic.

I hope you will seriously consider and launch Black backgrounds on all your products in the very near future.

Thanks,
James
:smiley:

Please don’t turn all your panels black, I love the clean aesthetic your panels have.

Don’t jump on the black panel bandwagon.

4 Likes

I would prefer all black modules but I made a conscious decision to go with whatever’s cheaper instead of being picky about panel color. So I couldn’t blame Intellijel for making the same decision. That said, if black panels were available…

Without any intention to do so, I’ve ended up with half my modules from Intellijel. I love the look, love the function. I have some black modules too, and don’t mind mixing and matching at all. But I’d vote to keep things as close to the current look as possible - if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

4 Likes

Earlier in the year we managed to find a new panel supplier and the quality plus consistency has greatly improved. We are very happy with this change and it will allow us to maintain our current style in a much better way.

I do like the look of an all black system but I have noticed that these provide far worse legibility when working in low light situations. I also like dark grey or white panel systems too. Frankly there are lot’s of nice color options but the key to looking good is total uniformity of color and texture. This can only be achieved when your system is made by only one brand.

So why do people specifically want black panels? I feel like it is a bit of herd mentality that got out of hand as is often the case in Eurorack. Perhaps in a couple of years everyone will be asking for pure white panels in powdercoat?

Making black panels does not guarantee any kind of uniformity because so many different manufacturers have their own version of “black”, especially with respect to what material is used to make the panel:

-pcb material (matte or shiny)
-powder coated
-metalphoto

There are different shades of black on top of this. You still end up with a system that is a hodge-podge unless it is all from one manufacturer.

@Minatorymodular The panels we currently use are actually far more expensive than pcb or regular metalphoto for that matter.

I love tinkering with design and intellijel has certainly learned a lot (and hopefully evolved) over the years. As our design language continues to mature and we explore different panel production methods it would be fun to try a new direction at some point. Who knows, this year may yield some big surprises and we have been kind of quiet for a while. It is our 10th anniversary after all…

5 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. I like the look of Moog modulars, but black is only one part of their aesthetic - the font, the contrasting metal panel edges, the layout of controls and jacks, etc., all contribute to their visual appeal. WMD said their new black panels are more robust than their old aluminum panels, but I have to wonder, just how robust does a panel need to be? Aluminum is already stronger than PCB, and a lot of people don’t have a problem with PCB (I do though).

I love the aesthetic of a material’s texture, whether it’s the wood grain of an acoustic instrument, or aluminum that’s been brushed/sandblasted/whatever, or just the natural grain of metal. I have some Magpie panels, and the patterns are cool, but I got over it pretty quickly once I saw them up close, and I realized I don’t really like powder coating. (Plus, their (silkscreened?) lettering isn’t sharp, a major disappointment.) It’s too bad they can’t produce the same patterns on their panels using something like Metalphoto.

I’d kill for a system with panels/case like the metal surface of the Korg Minilogue PG though. Or some way to finish my Palette case that way.

2 Likes

I prefer black panels because I come from a metal aesthetic. A visually dark instrument subtly nudges me into the right mindset for dark music. But again, aesthetic concerns are not worth more money to me. I have a silver panel on a module even though a black replacement panel is only $40 extra. Panels don’t make sound. But I’ll always opt for black if there’s no price difference.

It might be herd mentality, or it might be people who always wanted black panels but couldn’t find them anywhere. When manufacturers started making black panels, it’d make sense that people would realize it was now a viable option.

That said, I like the clarity of Intellijel panels. It’s a big draw for me. If a black panel conflicts with that, I wouldn’t ask anyone to go against a core design goal. And manufacturing concerns and price are much more important.

1 Like

i saw a pic of a black pcb metropolis recently and didnt really dig it. im on team dark gray now. it would contrast and fit with the current look better, and still appease people like me who have lots of other dark colored modules

I’m with you, Danjel. Even though I love the way black panels look in my two 7U Black Performance Cases, I also very much love the look of the standard Intellijel natural look aluminum panels.

For my own custom modules I settled on black anodized aluminum with white graphics. I noticed that the lack of gloss in the black greatly increases visibility of the graphics in the dark, although you can’t beat black lettering on natural or white panels for that!

As an aside, can you share with us who your new panel supplier is? Thanks!

Please give us many more years of your outstanding products!