Metropolis 1.36 Stages Linked - unable to update

Hi there,

I just received a (supposedly) brand spanking new module. After some initial tests I noticed that all the odd stage are linked to the even stages. The sliders for [count] and [gate mode] on the even stages have no effect, and the even stages do exactly the same as the odd stage before.
So if I set stage 1 to pulse count 4, stage 2 will do exactly the same, whatever the pulse count for stage 2 is. The same is for 3 and 4, 5 and 6, 7 and 8. It is also the same for [gate mode]. The switches for stages 2, 4, 6 and 8 have no effect.
So I then tried to perform a firmware update (even though it is already on 1.36), but without succes. All attempts fail:

C:\Users\HADES\AppData\Local\Temp\tba0hck1.q2e\avrdude.exe -F -Pusb -cusbtiny -patmega328 -C"C:\Users\HADES\AppData\Local\Temp\tba0hck1.q2e\avrdude.conf" -Uflash:w:"C:\Users\HADES\AppData\Local\Temp\tba0hck1.q2e\Intellijel_Firmware_Updater.Firmware.metropolis_1.36.hex":i -Uefuse:w:0x05:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDA:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m

avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x626f6f
avrdude.exe: Expected signature for ATmega328 is 1E 95 14
avrdude.exe: NOTE: “flash” memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
To disable this feature, specify the -D option.

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

==> Error occurred during update.

C:\Users\HADES\AppData\Local\Temp\tba0hck1.q2e\avrdude.exe -F -Pusb -cusbtiny -patmega328 -C"C:\Users\HADES\AppData\Local\Temp\tba0hck1.q2e\avrdude.conf" -Uflash:w:“C:\Users\HADES\AppData\Local\Temp\tba0hck1.q2e\Intellijel_Firmware_Updater.Firmware.metropolis_1.36.hex”:i -Uefuse:w:0x05:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDA:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x666c61
avrdude.exe: NOTE: “flash” memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed

C:\Users\HADES\AppData\Local\Temp\tba0hck1.q2e\avrdude.exe -F -Pusb -cusbtiny -patmega328 -C"C:\Users\HADES\AppData\Local\Temp\tba0hck1.q2e\avrdude.conf" -Uflash:w:“C:\Users\HADES\AppData\Local\Temp\tba0hck1.q2e\Intellijel_Firmware_Updater.Firmware.metropolis_1.36.hex”:i -Uefuse:w:0x05:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDA:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m
avrdude.exe: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x743130

I then inspected the module visually up close, and I noticed a smell. I recognize this smell as burnt electronics, but the smell is old. I also noticed a solderfix on R29, where there is some residue of flux and obviously some hand soldering. I guess this model is refurbished. (sold as new from Schneidersladen this week)

I’m looking for some pointers to troubleshoot further. It this module DOA?

edit: the firmware did flash eventually, (reboot fixed everything!) But the even stages are still linked to the od stages :frowning:

Please send an e-mail to support@intellijel.com and we’ll get this sorted out ASAP.