Joining 4U case to a 7U case

Maybe, can’t say we’ve ever tried that :slight_smile:

I was hoping someone who had access to both cases and the joiners, like an employee (wink wink), could give this a try before I spend $50 for the joiners… I just need to know if the 4u case fits between the joiners. I would be a very grateful customer.

Right right :slight_smile: Ok I just tried this in the warehouse out back, it seems that if you push the joiners apart slightly you can squeeze the 4U case in there. So I suppose you could create some kind of fastening system by drilling holes in the side. This would of course void any warranty :wink:

1 Like

Perfect, thanks! I’ll post pics when I’m done.

3 Likes

Please do. I really want to do the same thing, but wasn’t sure it would fit between the joiners.

any news on this?:slight_smile:

It didn’t work out as well as I hoped. With the joiners locked into the 7u case, the fit for the 4u case between them is too tight to be realistic. The top portion of the joiners bends outward so they are not flush with the 4u case. If I forced them by screwing them into the sides of the 4u case, I worry that I would do damage to the 7u case over time by pushing the sides outward. It kinda works by inserting the joiners upside down into the 7u case, using what are supposed to be the top joiners as the legs, and the actual legs pointing upwards to support the 4u case. This way there is no drilling required, because you can just run a dowel through the holes in the legs to support the back of the 4u case. But it’s kludgy, and the joiners are not fully locked into the 7u case, so it is not as sturdy. I’m currently balancing the 4u case on top of the 7u, propping it up against the back of my desk. Back to square one looking for a portable solution, and resisting the urge just to expand to two 7u cases. I don’t know if any variance in manufacturing would allow for a better fit with different specific cases, which might explain why @kamil thought it could work.

so i‘ve got the joiners and tried to mount my mdr case to the performance case.
the joiners are a litte bit to narrow, so the mdr case does not fit in very well.

does anybody may have a good idea how to mount the mdr properly to the performance case?
any idea is appreciated.

thank you guys

Wow i love this! I’m interested in building a little shelf so I can mount my TR-8S right above my 7U rack and this is a super smart way to go about it! if only i knew anything about woodworking :slight_smile:

Hi, I am just wondering if there are any new solutions for this? I’d love to solve this exact issue too.

That is correct. It’s mentioned somewhere else here in the forum

Hey guys, was looking for ideas on how to voltron all my intellijel cases together and saw the incredible solution from @Sunshine further up the thread here. Now correct me if I’m wrong, are those carrying strap plates? I posted a screen shot of what I mean and was scouring your website for them and came back empty handed. Do you still sell those? And if not, do you have the profile templates available so I can get them cut on my own? Thanks!

@vincentpants Yes, that’s exactly what they are. The carry strap clips bolted to the wooden shelf make a perfect top shelf for my 7U case. No idea if you can still get them or not.

1 Like

Oh word, thanks for the quick reply @Sunshine! Now to find out if I can get my hands on them/the vector files to machine them. AITA if I bump @admins?

I’ve got a couple of 104HP 7U performance cases connected together.
I’d like to add another single row using a 104HP Palette, but hearing a few reports that it’s kinda uncomfortable to use the back 7U case because you have to lean so far over it to use.

Can anyone confirm this? Or suggest an alternative? I know there was a post on here about removing the palette side panels and dremelling two alt panels that slide into the top of the 7U and adding it to the top instead of placing it in front.

Do you mean having a 104hp palette sitting in front of the lower 7u case?

I do this and do not feel like I have to reach that far. The palette sits right on the edge of my desk and I have the 7U cases sitting flush with that.

Two things that I did to make it a little more comfortable to use are:

First, I added a long, 1" (or 3/4", I forget) piece of wood under the back end of the palette. This brings it level with the first row of the lower 7U as well as provides a slight angle.

Second, I extend the base 7U’s legs, and use that to hold it all up instead of relying on the braces. This gives the lower 7U an increased angle and makes the upper 7U more vertical, which makes it easier to reach. I also have an extra 100hp 4U case (not a palette) above the upper 7U (tilted forward a bit) that is easy to reach.

I do indeed. These are great tips. Thank you.